How to find optimal timings and parameters for a display?
01-02-2023, 04:49 PM
How to find optimal timings and parameters for a display?
I have an Asus Zephyrus M GU502GU with a B156HAN08.2 display. Recently, my laptop's monitor started flickering at 144Hz. At 60Hz it would work fine, and so after looking at a few Reddit posts in order to find the solution, I concluded that the display's timings were incorrect somehow. I managed to find the datasheet for the display and applied the recommended value for pixel clock and blanking for 1920×1080 /144Hz mode using CRU. The flickering went away after that, but it will still occasionally flicker out of the blue. It's just completely random, so I think in order to fix it completely I might need to adjust other parameters, such as sync width, front porch, and sync polarity. These parameters aren't mentioned in the datasheet. Now I don't exactly know what these settings mean or what they do since I'm a complete beginner, so how do I go about finding the optimal values for these parameters?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2023, 06:10 AM
RE: How to find optimal timings and parameters for a display?
There are no optimal values. There are standards such as CVT-RB so devices can operate with each other, but there's no guarantee that a laptop screen will follow a particular standard. Usually panels can handle a wide range of timing parameters, so that shouldn't be the problem.
01-04-2023, 06:42 PM
(01-03-2023 06:10 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  There are no optimal values. There are standards such as CVT-RB so devices can operate with each other, but there's no guarantee that a laptop screen will follow a particular standard. Usually panels can handle a wide range of timing parameters, so that shouldn't be the problem.

The sync polarities for 60Hz is negative for both Horizontal and Vertical direction, so would you recommend that I use the same sync polarities for 144Hz too?
01-06-2023, 04:05 AM
The sync polarities are not important. Flicker is usually a signal quality problem such as a bad cable or the panel not supporting variable refresh rates correctly.