LG 24MP59G problem setting refresh rate
01-08-2019, 09:13 PM
LG 24MP59G problem setting refresh rate
Hello,

I own a 24MP59G monitor and have always wanted to have LFC which unfortunately it does not support.
I've been trying to follow this tutorial to lower my Freesync minimum refresh rate from 40 Hz to something like 35, (I've seen a few people post they can get 33-76 and they claim it makes LFC work on this exact model), however when following step 4 (create a custom resolution with your desired refresh rate on Radeon Settings, then apply the resolution in Windows settings) I get an Out of Range error on my monitor (no biggie, I understand that I just may have been unlucky and my particular monitor is not underclockable) however I tried to set a refresh rate to a value inside my Freesync range (40-75 Hz) and I still get the error, basically anything below 48 Hz will give me such errror, which I find weird because it is my understanding that I should be able to at least set it to 40 Hz since it is the advertised refresh rate for my monitor.

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with my monitor (which does support Freesync and is the same one that people that have got this to work report using), I do have a DP cable lying around but it's a piece of crap that can't even report 75 Hz on Windows when I connect it. I also tried both enabling and disabling Freesync, VSR, HDMI link assurance, etc.

I find this very weird, maybe I'm missing something, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2019, 10:20 PM
RE: LG 24MP59G problem setting refresh rate
You don't need to create a custom resolution to change the minimum refresh rate. Just edit the FreeSync range with CRU. For HDMI, the FreeSync range is in the extension block.
01-08-2019, 10:44 PM
(01-08-2019 10:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  You don't need to create a custom resolution to change the minimum refresh rate. Just edit the FreeSync range with CRU. For HDMI, the FreeSync range is in the extension block.

True but I understand that you are supposed to create a custom resolution to verify that your monitor can actually work with such refresh rate before setting it up in CRU, otherwise it might not work and I don't know how could I roll back if I mess up in CRU and end up with no image displayed.
01-09-2019, 02:20 AM
(01-08-2019 10:44 PM)SebastianNG1 Wrote:  True but I understand that you are supposed to create a custom resolution to verify that your monitor can actually work with such refresh rate before setting it up in CRU, otherwise it might not work and I don't know how could I roll back if I mess up in CRU and end up with no image displayed.
That only applies to the maximum refresh rate. FreeSync reduces the refresh rate by delaying the next refresh, so that's not the same as setting a lower refresh rate. Adjusting the minimum refresh rate shouldn't affect the desktop, but if you run into issues, you can boot into safe mode and run reset-all.exe to undo all changes.
01-09-2019, 04:09 AM
(01-09-2019 02:20 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That only applies to the maximum refresh rate. FreeSync reduces the refresh rate by delaying the next refresh, so that's not the same as setting a lower refresh rate. Adjusting the minimum refresh rate shouldn't affect the desktop, but if you run into issues, you can boot into safe mode and run reset-all.exe to undo all changes.

Oh I see, so basically I shouldn't mess up as long as I stick with lowering and not increasing refresh rates. I understand, thank you very much, I will give it a try tomorrow.