Monitor reboots when alt-tabbing &/or starting the game.
04-22-2018, 03:20 PM (Last edited: 04-22-2018, 03:22 PM by TinyTinyDwarf)
Monitor reboots when alt-tabbing &/or starting the game.
Hi!

My monitor (Acer XF240H) reboots & restarts itself whenever I start a game in fullscreen, or when I alt-tab out of said game. I got two monitors though. So it's the XF240H (the one that's restarting itself) & then there's a secondary 60hz monitor that's a generic Packard bell monitor (Viseo 243D) that's plugged in through DVI-D (dual)

Games affecting this: Battlefield 1, Battlefront II, Mass Effect Andromeda, KOTOR 1, KOTOR 2.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens a hell of a lot. I've been looking around & I can not find a definitive answer. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

My theory is that it's framerate related. As KOTOR 2 only had this issue, until I switched it to 144hz. Problem there is that on every game It's set to 144hz & my monitor is also set to 144hz. So there's no difference in refreshrates.

Specs:

Monitor: Acer XF240H

GPU: Strix GTX 1080

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

HDD: 2 TB HDD

SSD: 190gb SSD

PSU: 650W EVGA "SuperNova"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2018, 07:44 PM
RE: Monitor reboots when alt-tabbing &/or starting the game.
Usually that happens if the resolution or refresh rate changes, like if the desktop refresh rate is different from the game's refresh rate, but if they're both the same, then I don't know. Check the monitor's OSD to see what resolution and refresh rate it's really receiving.
04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
RE: Monitor reboots when alt-tabbing &/or starting the game.
OSD says the monitor is at 1920x1080@144hz. Precisely as it should.

It doesn't make any sense at all. I too think it's refreshrate related. As I previously mentioned in the OP: Games like KOTOR 2 caused my monitor to reboot when I ran it at 60hz. When I put KOTOR 2 at 144hz it stopped.

But Battlefield 1 & Battlefront II are locked to 144hz anyway, so it shouldn't cause an issue at all. Yet it does!

Can't even email Acer, as it's effectively impossible to get in touch with them.