NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
(03-20-2014 08:26 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 08:57 PM)sneak310 Wrote:  I'm getting BSODs with the message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Prior to buying this QNIX QX2710 and using the drivers on this website I didn't get BSODs. I also imported the "blank-extension.dat" file. I'm now missing the NVIDIA option in my right-click context menu and when I try to run the NVIDIA center it crashes.
I don't see how the patch could cause that. Nobody else has reported anything like that before.

I need you to check one thing at a time:

1. Run reset-all.exe and reboot to remove all the custom resolutions. Does the problem happen at 60 Hz with the patch without any custom resolutions defined?

2. Does the problem happen at 80 Hz without the patch?

3. Does the problem only happen with 335.23 or does it also happen with older drivers?

It does happen at default Hz with the patch applied, it does happen with older drivers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 01:13 PM
(03-20-2014 08:29 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 01:56 PM)PFS Wrote:  Ive just used the 1.25 patch with a new driver, the 335.23. When using 100hz on Automatic LCD Standard and LCD reduced.
Im still getting the Freeze in games with this new driver and 1.25 patcher.
Try 80 Hz without the patch. If the problem still happens, then you're encountering a driver issue that's not related to the patch or any pixel clock limits.

I did as you said and tried 80hz without the full Nvidia patcher. Its worked fine with no freezing whatsoever and was very smooth. Does this mean that the patcher maybe at fault?

I then tried 100hz reduced (pixel clock 399) without the Full Nvidia patcher and nothing worked, i could not even get my Overlord to run at 100hz. I also tried 100hz standard (pixel clock 400+) and i still could not get the overloard to run at 100hz. I then tried the patcher at 100hz and it was freezing again, even when moving around the desktop it was freezing. Rolling back to the 331.40
Thanks.
03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
(03-20-2014 01:13 PM)PFS Wrote:  I did as you said and tried 80hz without the full Nvidia patcher. Its worked fine with no freezing whatsoever and was very smooth. Does this mean that the patcher maybe at fault?
No, because the problem should not be happening at 100 Hz with "LCD reduced" timing, and nobody else has reported this happening with the latest patcher. I'm trying to figure out if you're hitting a different limit or if you're having a different problem.

I need you to be clear about exactly when the problem happens because you've given me conflicting information.

At first, you said 334.67 worked with the previous patcher (1.2.4), which is impossible because the previous patcher would not have found the SLI limits for 334.67. Then you said 334.67 wasn't working and that you had to revert to 331.40 with the previous patcher. What about 331.40 with the current patcher (1.2.5)? The current patcher should not have problems with 331.40. What about 331.93 and 332.21?

You also said the problem was happening at 75 Hz or over:
(03-02-2014 11:20 PM)PFS Wrote:  When i upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver 334.89, I have been having problems in all games that i run at 75hz or over.
Now you're saying the problem doesn't happen at 80 Hz without the patch. What about 80 Hz with the patch? If it still works with the patch, then at what pixel clock does it stop working? Pixel clock limits should be exact values like 330 MHz or 400 MHz. If you were hitting the SLI limit, then 400 MHz should work while 400.01 MHz would not. I'm not aware of any other limits that would cause this to happen.
03-20-2014, 10:37 PM
The reason why i use the 331.40 is because i remember at the time it was better than many other drivers shortly after it. The 331.40 is optimized for bf4 and although i do not play bf4 the 331.40 gives me smoother game play in any game than any other driver.

Ill stick with the 331.40 as a working driver and all the drivers after it worked right up too the 334.67. I also get the same problem with the newer 334.89 as well as 335.23.

Ill try it at 80,90 and 100hz with and without 1.25 patcher on 335.23 as any driver before 334.67 worked fine.

Also it was the 1.24 patcher that works with 331.40. I will try 331.40 again but i will try with the 1.25 patcher.

Ill report back here with my findings.
Cheers.
03-21-2014, 12:25 AM
So fresh out of ideas?
03-21-2014, 04:38 AM
(03-20-2014 09:22 AM)sneak310 Wrote:  It does happen at default Hz with the patch applied, it does happen with older drivers.
Your issue doesn't make sense. The patcher makes very simple changes that shouldn't cause blue screens, and the blue screens you showed don't seem to involve NVIDIA's driver (nvlddmkm.sys). There has to be some other factor involved.

Are you using the regular patch? The full patch is not needed with a single GTX 760, but it shouldn't cause blue screens either.

Did the patcher find all the values? Did the patcher report any errors?

Does the problem still happen if you disconnect the other monitor?

Are you using antivirus software? If so, what software? I wonder if this could be affecting the driver somehow.

What versions of older drivers did you try? Many people upgraded to 331.40 for BF3 and didn't have any problems after the patch was updated.
03-21-2014, 04:40 AM (Last edited: 03-21-2014, 04:42 AM by sneak310)
Alright I've decided to just reformat and see if I can isolate the issue, or hopefully not have it to begin with.

I chose not to install the pixel patcher driver at all this time.

So far I've formatted the disk, installed Win7 64bit, and the following:

Intel Chipset Driver
Xonar DG Driver
Marvell Driver
Intel Management
ASMEDIA USB driver
Intel USB Driver
NVIDIA 335.23 (w/ Experience)
Chrome
MarkC Win7 MouseFix
Java
Silverlight

I set the Hz of the monitor to 110 using the Nvidia Control Panel.

Going to watch Netflix and other random things and hope for no BSOD. I'll slow being to install my previous programs. I can't be without alot of my stuff (Putty/winscp/navicat/notepad++/etc..) because I need it for work.

At this point though, since I didn't need to use the driver to OC the monitor.. if I still get BSODs they aren't related to the pixel patcher.
03-21-2014, 08:14 PM (Last edited: 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM by apav)
(02-08-2014 03:28 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 10:47 AM)apav Wrote:  I have a question. I guess I forgot to patch my drivers after a new update. I have custom resolutions in CRU, Windows Control Panel, and Nvidia Control panel. Running 120hz currently and it's working as intended. Do I still need to use this patch? I've been working fine without it for like 8 months. I have a GTX 780.
The GTX 780 might not need the patch. Did you add the resolution using just CRU by itself or did you also add it through the NVIDIA control panel?

Sorry for the delay. I have the resolutions added in the CRU and they also appeared in Nvidia Control Panel. However, something has changed. I upgraded my drivers to the latest and chose clean install (knowing that my custom resolutions would also disappear from the Nvidia Control Panel). I haven't reset anything in the CRU (all the settings are still there), but now it has disappeared from the advanced->monitor window in Windows control panel as well. Why might the GTX 780 not need the patcher, and how do I get the resolutions from CRU to appear again? Thanks so much.
03-22-2014, 12:49 AM
(03-21-2014 08:14 PM)apav Wrote:  Sorry for the delay. I have the resolutions added in the CRU and they also appeared in Nvidia Control Panel. However, something has changed. I upgraded my drivers to the latest and chose clean install (knowing that my custom resolutions would also disappear from the Nvidia Control Panel). I haven't reset anything in the CRU (all the settings are still there), but now it has disappeared from the advanced->monitor window in Windows control panel as well. Why might the GTX 780 not need the patcher, and how do I get the resolutions from CRU to appear again? Thanks so much.
The GTX 780 doesn't need the patch for SLI or for adding custom resolutions with the NVIDIA control panel. The patch is normally required when using CRU, but I'm not sure if the GTX 780 is different, which is why I asked.

Did you follow the workaround for GeForce Experience?
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Note for NVIDIA users: GeForce Experience is known to cause issues with EDID overrides such as resolutions being listed in the NVIDIA control panel but not in the Windows screen resolution settings. Either uninstall GeForce Experience, or enable the extension block and import this file: blank-extension.dat
03-22-2014, 03:34 PM
(03-22-2014 12:49 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-21-2014 08:14 PM)apav Wrote:  Sorry for the delay. I have the resolutions added in the CRU and they also appeared in Nvidia Control Panel. However, something has changed. I upgraded my drivers to the latest and chose clean install (knowing that my custom resolutions would also disappear from the Nvidia Control Panel). I haven't reset anything in the CRU (all the settings are still there), but now it has disappeared from the advanced->monitor window in Windows control panel as well. Why might the GTX 780 not need the patcher, and how do I get the resolutions from CRU to appear again? Thanks so much.
The GTX 780 doesn't need the patch for SLI or for adding custom resolutions with the NVIDIA control panel. The patch is normally required when using CRU, but I'm not sure if the GTX 780 is different, which is why I asked.

Did you follow the workaround for GeForce Experience?
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Note for NVIDIA users: GeForce Experience is known to cause issues with EDID overrides such as resolutions being listed in the NVIDIA control panel but not in the Windows screen resolution settings. Either uninstall GeForce Experience, or enable the extension block and import this file: blank-extension.dat

Oops I should've mentioned that I tried that, and nothing changed except that the nvidia icon disappeared from my tray.