NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
11-26-2020, 04:13 PM
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
(11-26-2020 03:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-26-2020 03:43 PM)Jochim Wrote:  Huh that's odd. All three monitors are 2560x1440p QNIXs without scalers so I'd need dual-link DVI. GPU is a 2080 super, the two monitors on passive adapters weren't working, the one with the active adapter was fine.
You said you were using DisplayPort/HDMI adapters. Passive adapters are single-link, and the patcher shouldn't affect the active adapter.

Ah, that makes sense now. I had assumed that single link wouldn't be able to get close enough for 2560x1440p. Renaming the 1.4.13 patcher as indicated works fine on the current driver version. Thanks very much for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2020, 08:57 PM (Last edited: 12-09-2020, 09:18 PM by Margatroid)
Hey, just wanted to share a couple issues I have with 1.4.13. I just got a 3080 this week, and I'm using it with my old Overlord 1440 monitor with an Startech Displayport to Dual Link DVI Active adapter. I'm also using an LG C9. I found that the pixel clock patcher unfortunately seems to break the way the drivers work with the C9--I could get 4k 120hz to work, but whenever I tried to switch to another resolution or refresh rate I would just get a black screen. Undoing the patch fixed this. I also had issues where if restarted my video drivers on the Overlord monitor with the patch installed, I got stuck on a black screen and had to restart Windows.

Also, the patcher unfortunately does not even allow me to use 120hz on the Overlord monitor. I made a setting for 64hz which works, but 120 won't show up on the drop-down menu options under advanced display properties. So it seems this patcher just isn't working at all with RTX series cards, at least not on the driver I'm using, which is 457.51.

Do you think maybe the Displayport to DVI-D adapter is causing problems? I've read in reviews that other people have been able to get 1440 120hz with it, but I wonder if somehow it's preventing Windows from recognizing that my specific monitor can do 120hz. In any case, it seems like this version of the patcher isn't going to work with current RTX drivers because of the blackscreen issues.
12-09-2020, 10:03 PM
(12-09-2020 08:57 PM)Margatroid Wrote:  Hey, just wanted to share a couple issues I have with 1.4.13. I just got a 3080 this week, and I'm using it with my old Overlord 1440 monitor with an Startech Displayport to Dual Link DVI Active adapter. I'm also using an LG C9. I found that the pixel clock patcher unfortunately seems to break the way the drivers work with the C9--I could get 4k 120hz to work, but whenever I tried to switch to another resolution or refresh rate I would just get a black screen. Undoing the patch fixed this. I also had issues where if restarted my video drivers on the Overlord monitor with the patch installed, I got stuck on a black screen and had to restart Windows.

Also, the patcher unfortunately does not even allow me to use 120hz on the Overlord monitor. I made a setting for 64hz which works, but 120 won't show up on the drop-down menu options under advanced display properties. So it seems this patcher just isn't working at all with RTX series cards, at least not on the driver I'm using, which is 457.51.

Do you think maybe the Displayport to DVI-D adapter is causing problems? I've read in reviews that other people have been able to get 1440 120hz with it, but I wonder if somehow it's preventing Windows from recognizing that my specific monitor can do 120hz. In any case, it seems like this version of the patcher isn't going to work with current RTX drivers because of the blackscreen issues.
The patcher does not affect DisplayPort limits. I don't know why it's affecting the C9 because the patcher doesn't change any HDMI 2.x limits, but you shouldn't need the patcher with that adapter anyway. You have to keep the pixel clock under 476 MHz, and that's with 6 bpc color. The limit for 8 bpc color is 357 MHz.
12-09-2020, 11:30 PM (Last edited: 12-10-2020, 12:18 AM by Margatroid)
(12-09-2020 10:03 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-09-2020 08:57 PM)Margatroid Wrote:  Hey, just wanted to share a couple issues I have with 1.4.13. I just got a 3080 this week, and I'm using it with my old Overlord 1440 monitor with an Startech Displayport to Dual Link DVI Active adapter. I'm also using an LG C9. I found that the pixel clock patcher unfortunately seems to break the way the drivers work with the C9--I could get 4k 120hz to work, but whenever I tried to switch to another resolution or refresh rate I would just get a black screen. Undoing the patch fixed this. I also had issues where if restarted my video drivers on the Overlord monitor with the patch installed, I got stuck on a black screen and had to restart Windows.

Do you think maybe the DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter is causing problems? I've read in reviews that other people have been able to get 1440 120hz with it, but I wonder if somehow it's preventing Windows from recognizing that my specific monitor can do 120hz. In any case, it seems like this version of the patcher isn't going to work with current RTX drivers because of the blackscreen issues.
The patcher does not affect DisplayPort limits. I don't know why it's affecting the C9 because the patcher doesn't change any HDMI 2.x limits, but you shouldn't need the patcher with that adapter anyway. You have to keep the pixel clock under 476 MHz, and that's with 6 bpc color. The limit for 8 bpc color is 357 MHz.

No, I don't need the patcher with the C9, but I do need to use it if I want to still be able to run the other monitor at 120hz. The current patcher breaks the functionality of the C9 and also does not give me 120hz on the Overlord through DisplayPort-to-DVI-D. It always worked in the past on my GTX 970 with DVI-D alone. To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by saying that the patcher does not affect DisplayPort limits. The signal is still having to go through the DVI-D cable, and this Overlord monitor is old enough that 120hz is an "overclock" mode, meaning that the pixel clock patcher along with CRU is the only way 120hz will even show up as an option. Something is wrong... Unless what you're telling me is that DisplayPort is incapable of running 1440 at 120hz without lowered color depth, which seems very unlikely to me. Is DisplayPort really less capable than DVI-D at 1440 120hz? I thought it was a newer technology with greater bandwidth.

In any case, keep in mind that the patcher is giving me blackscreen problems requiring a hardware restart of Windows on the Overlord monitor, not just on the C9 TV. There seems to be some kind of larger compatibility issue with these newest Nvidia drivers.

edit: Okay I just literally have no idea what you're talking about. DisplayPort definitely will do 1440p at 120hz: https://www.cablematters.com/blog/Displa...port-144hz

"You have to keep the pixel clock under 476 MHz, and that's with 6 bpc color. The limit for 8 bpc color is 357 MHz."

Are you talking about HDMI? What is this? I don't get it, man. If the pixel clock patcher isn't necessary to get DisplayPort to run at higher refresh rates, then why will 120hz not show up on under Advanced Display Settings even though I've added it in CRU? Every time I got new drivers in the past and was using DVI-D, I had to use the pixel clock patcher to get 120hz to show up as an option. How else am I going to convince Windows that this monitor can do 120hz?
12-10-2020, 03:31 AM
(12-09-2020 11:30 PM)Margatroid Wrote:  No, I don't need the patcher with the C9, but I do need to use it if I want to still be able to run the other monitor at 120hz. The current patcher breaks the functionality of the C9 and also does not give me 120hz on the Overlord through DisplayPort-to-DVI-D. It always worked in the past on my GTX 970 with DVI-D alone. To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by saying that the patcher does not affect DisplayPort limits. The signal is still having to go through the DVI-D cable, and this Overlord monitor is old enough that 120hz is an "overclock" mode, meaning that the pixel clock patcher along with CRU is the only way 120hz will even show up as an option. Something is wrong... Unless what you're telling me is that DisplayPort is incapable of running 1440 at 120hz without lowered color depth, which seems very unlikely to me. Is DisplayPort really less capable than DVI-D at 1440 120hz? I thought it was a newer technology with greater bandwidth.

In any case, keep in mind that the patcher is giving me blackscreen problems requiring a hardware restart of Windows on the Overlord monitor, not just on the C9 TV. There seems to be some kind of larger compatibility issue with these newest Nvidia drivers.

edit: Okay I just literally have no idea what you're talking about. DisplayPort definitely will do 1440p at 120hz: https://www.cablematters.com/blog/Displa...port-144hz

"You have to keep the pixel clock under 476 MHz, and that's with 6 bpc color. The limit for 8 bpc color is 357 MHz."

Are you talking about HDMI? What is this? I don't get it, man. If the pixel clock patcher isn't necessary to get DisplayPort to run at higher refresh rates, then why will 120hz not show up on under Advanced Display Settings even though I've added it in CRU? Every time I got new drivers in the past and was using DVI-D, I had to use the pixel clock patcher to get 120hz to show up as an option. How else am I going to convince Windows that this monitor can do 120hz?

I'm talking about the adapter. You said you are using an active DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter. The video card sees that as a DisplayPort monitor. The patcher doesn't affect DisplayPort limits. DisplayPort is packet-based and runs at fixed link rates, so I can't change the limits like with DVI.

The limit depends on the link rate and number of lanes:
https://www.monitortests.com/blog/common...ck-limits/

Active DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapters use HBR with 4 lanes, so yes, that adapter is less capable than overclocked dual-link DVI without adapters. You would need a dual-link DVI adapter that supports HBR2 with 4 lanes, which doesn't exist.

With that adapter, you need to keep the pixel clock under 476 MHz for it to work at all, and the color depth is automatically reduced to 6 bpc beyond 357 MHz because there isn't enough bandwidth for 8 bpc with HBR. The people that are getting 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz with that adapter are getting 6 bpc color and not realizing it. DisplayPort monitors that support HBR2 can do 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz without reducing the color depth.
12-11-2020, 01:50 AM (Last edited: 12-11-2020, 01:51 AM by Margatroid)
Cool, thanks for the reply man. I did some more googling last night and it seems like everyone who owns my particular monitor agrees that it's practically impossible to even get 120hz out of it with the adapter, which makes sense with what you're saying. I've also noticed that it looks less vibrant since I started using the adapter, and I'm guessing that's the reduced color depth. Well, at least now I have an excuse to upgrade to a new monitor. Smile

Also, I think the blackscreen issues I was having were probably caused by a failure to remove the old display drivers. I got rid of those and the new card seems to be less glitchy now. Figures!

Oh and by the way, is there a way to set color depth in CRU? I don't see any option for that there.
12-11-2020, 03:50 AM
(12-11-2020 01:50 AM)Margatroid Wrote:  Cool, thanks for the reply man. I did some more googling last night and it seems like everyone who owns my particular monitor agrees that it's practically impossible to even get 120hz out of it with the adapter, which makes sense with what you're saying. I've also noticed that it looks less vibrant since I started using the adapter, and I'm guessing that's the reduced color depth. Well, at least now I have an excuse to upgrade to a new monitor. Smile

Also, I think the blackscreen issues I was having were probably caused by a failure to remove the old display drivers. I got rid of those and the new card seems to be less glitchy now. Figures!

Oh and by the way, is there a way to set color depth in CRU? I don't see any option for that there.
It's not impossible to get 120 Hz with an active adapter. You just have to reduce the vertical total to keep the pixel clock under 476 MHz. That works with the Accell adapters at least. Color depth doesn't affect vibrancy. It mainly affects how smooth gradients are, but the GPU will dither 6 bpc so it doesn't look too bad. CRU doesn't have a way to set the DisplayPort color depth yet, but it's only possible to specify a maximum value, not a minimum.
12-16-2020, 08:07 PM
(12-16-2020 07:12 PM)henio81 Wrote:  I have a laptop with two graphics one is:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...0-ghz.html

and another is Geforce gtx 760M. I have a monitor connected Aoc U2879VF and the

problem is optimus which force me to use integrated graphics resolution to

3840X2160/30Hz and i would like to 60Hz. I'm using HDMI cable. Have tried your app to set up custom res but no success. Can you help me please?
The patcher doesn't have any effect on optimus systems.
02-07-2021, 05:51 PM
I have Dell S2721DGFA 165Hz monitor and GeForce GT 630 2GB, I'm trying to get atleast 120Hz via HDMI, but it just not saving. CRU isn't working at all. Any suggestions?
02-07-2021, 06:42 PM
(02-07-2021 05:51 PM)Fanax Wrote:  I have Dell S2721DGFA 165Hz monitor and GeForce GT 630 2GB, I'm trying to get atleast 120Hz via HDMI, but it just not saving. CRU isn't working at all. Any suggestions?
2560x1440 @ 120 Hz requires HDMI 2.0. That card does not have HDMI 2.0.