Need help with setting custom resolution nvidia notebook
08-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Need help with setting custom resolution nvidia notebook
I have an Nvidia 980M and wish to set resolution 960 544 so i can allow moonlight homebrew app via the PS VITA.
Now i managed to get the resolution appear in custom resolutions via the CRU app.
(wasnt able to use the custom resolution function of nvidia otherwise.
And when i press apply this 966x 544 resolution the screen just goes black.

Now i understand this can mean 2 things. Either A. the resolution really is unable to display. or B. I didn't correctly configure the resolution settings, like polarity mhz and all these other things i am seeing...

Could someone assist me in finding the correct settings, i have no idea what to change, and dont want to damage anything.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2016, 10:27 PM
RE: Need help with setting custom resolution nvidia notebook
Laptop displays don't have scalers, so you have to turn on GPU scaling to use lower resolutions. The timing parameters don't matter with GPU scaling since it uses the native resolution.
08-19-2016, 07:42 AM (Last edited: 08-19-2016, 07:45 AM by chrisssj2)
I LOVE YOU it works! Was looking this for hours yesterday awesome!
Then would you choose aspect, full screen or no scaling?
Other question though for the custom resolution i put 960 x 544 pixels then i change nothing else. and polarity is + and -.
Do i need to change frequency and or polarity etc.?
08-25-2016, 02:44 AM
(08-19-2016 07:42 AM)chrisssj2 Wrote:  Then would you choose aspect, full screen or no scaling?
That's up to you. "Aspect" preserves the aspect ratio while "Full screen" stretches to fill the screen, but that won't make much of a difference since the resolution is already close to 16:9. "No scaling" just centers the image with 1:1 pixel mapping.

(08-19-2016 07:42 AM)chrisssj2 Wrote:  Other question though for the custom resolution i put 960 x 544 pixels then i change nothing else. and polarity is + and -.
Do i need to change frequency and or polarity etc.?
If it works, you don't need to change anything. Normally when changing the resolution, I would start with the "LCD standard" timing option, but that doesn't matter with GPU scaling. Most monitors don't care about polarity either.