No resolution in Nvidia control panel
11-03-2012, 02:17 AM (Last edited: 11-03-2012, 02:20 AM by guidebot)
No resolution in Nvidia control panel
I only have my Catleap plugged into my monitor and in Nvidia control panel doesn't show any resolutions in the change resolution box. The problem came back after a full OS reinstal. If I have 2 monitors plugged in the native resolution shows up. I have a 680 and everything else is relatively new. Do you know why or how to fix there being no native resolutions? This is part of larger problem that my monitor downclocks to 60Hz from 120Hz in all fullscreen games. I'm also trying to troubleshoot the whole problem on 120hz.net.
[Image: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7772/sight.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
RE: No resolution in Nvidia control panel
What does CRU show?
11-03-2012, 10:51 AM (Last edited: 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM by guidebot)
The problem has been solved. The Catleap's EDID was being corrupted or not showing up at at all due to the DVI cable being faulty. It was the 24AWG 6ft one from Monoprice. The stock Catleap cable works just fine. While I was having the problem CRU did show me 2560x1440x60Hz while Nvidia Control panel showed me nothing.
11-04-2012, 09:23 AM
The problem came back. I must've wrong about the cable. When it was working I was using your CRU. Then I deleted the 120hz custom res from CRU and I put in my other custom resolutions using Nvidia control panel. Now 120hz started reverting to 60hz in fullscreen games again. The Catleap's resolution doesn't show up in Nvidia control panel again if the Catleap is the only monitor connected. The default resolution does show up in CRU. I'v tried exporting my resolutions using CRU but they do not show up in Nvidia control panel or the monitor device tab. 59Hz and 60Hz are available in the monitor device tab though.
11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
If you use the NVIDIA control panel to add a higher refresh rate, some games won't use the higher refresh rate even with the monitor driver installed. You can work around that by using CRU to define the higher refresh rate as the first detailed resolution. Make sure the extension block is disabled. Keep 60 Hz around as a secondary detailed resolution for driver updates.

That doesn't explain why the list of resolutions is blank though. Are there any "non-PnP" monitors listed in the device manager when this is happening?
11-05-2012, 03:08 AM
with both monitors plugged in my Catleap is the only non-generic PnP monitor. What is an extension block?
11-05-2012, 03:45 AM
"Generic PnP" is fine. "Generic non-PnP" is what I'm looking for. That would indicate a monitor without a working EDID. If the EDID is working but part of it is corrupt, CRU should be able to override that.

The extension block is just an additional section in the EDID that's usually used to define HDTV resolutions and audio capabilities. For some reason, NVIDIA's driver ignores higher refresh rates defined by CRU if the extension block is enabled. The Catleap doesn't actually have an extension block anyway, but the default EDID has it set for some reason.