Overclocking help
09-26-2013, 01:52 PM (Last edited: 09-26-2013, 02:00 PM by howdyho)
Overclocking help
So I recently got a new Asus IPS 60hz panel and I tried overclocking it, but only reached around 68hz on automatic timings, anything higher would give no signal error. I later decided to switch over from DVI to HDMI to get rid of the big clunky dvi cable while ridding the redundant audio cable I had running to it.

Well after i hooked it up to HDMI, I redid the timings, and got past the initial 68hz wall I hit. I pushed it to 80hz, then 90hz, then 100hz, then 105hz, then the final stop 110hz! Although, once I get past 105hz the picture intermittently goes in and out to a black screen, which makes anything above 105 unusable, but they did display.

I noticed a few problems though. First off, there are small horizontal gaps at the top and bottom of the display. They are very small, about 1/8" in size. Anything above 68hz shows the gaps It looks like the resolution isn't being properly scaled to fit the entire screen, which might be the reasoning for the next issue. And that issue is font doesn't look as crisp as 60-68hz. There is a slight distortion to it, but it's very minor, you might see it in this screenshot (if you look above the green bar, look at the large "105 fps" and "105 hz") -

[Image: MAcw4nV.png]

That is one of the tests I've done. I've also played a few games where I could hold a solid 105FPS+ (BC2, L4D2, NS2) and the experience was so smooth.

With that said, is there anything I can do to get rid of the gaps and possible fix the slight distortion in the text? Maybe custom timings I can try? For the text I tried messing around with the sharpness, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. For the gaps, I messed around with the scaling options in nvidia control panel and nothing seemed to sort it out.

I should also mention this was done on automatic timings using the nvidia control panel. The panel is also 1920x1080.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Overclocking help
A screen shot is not going to show a monitor problem.

The gaps indicate the monitor is scaling the image, which would affect text quality. Overscan issues can add gaps, but if it were an overscan problem, it should also affect 60-68 Hz. If 68 Hz displays properly but 69 Hz does not, then it's more likely the monitor is not handling the resolution properly. I don't have your monitor, so I don't know if anything can be done about that.

Try "CVT reduced blank" timing and see if that affects the gaps. If not, there's probably nothing that can be done.
09-26-2013, 04:23 PM (Last edited: 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM by howdyho)
(09-26-2013 03:19 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  A screen shot is not going to show a monitor problem.

The gaps indicate the monitor is scaling the image, which would affect text quality. Overscan issues can add gaps, but if it were an overscan problem, it should also affect 60-68 Hz. If 68 Hz displays properly but 69 Hz does not, then it's more likely the monitor is not handling the resolution properly. I don't have your monitor, so I don't know if anything can be done about that.

Try "CVT reduced blank" timing and see if that affects the gaps. If not, there's probably nothing that can be done.

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work.

Do you know of anyway to just use these higher refresh rates while gaming without having to manually change it every time in the display properties?
09-27-2013, 01:20 PM
NVIDIA has a preferred refresh rate option in the control panel that you can set to highest available, but that doesn't always work.

For games that use the desktop refresh rate, you can create a shortcut to launch the game using a program like this: http://12noon.com/?page_id=80
10-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Hey ToastyX, I had another question and didn't think it was necessary to make another thread. Someone has helped me with custom timings in the Nvidia control panel to get rid of the black bars I described in earlier posts. I tried copying the values from the nvidia control panel to a new CRU settings, but it doesn't work with CRU. When I changed the from 60 to 100hz, it gets signal out of range. Here is a screenshot, as you can see all the values match, it just doesn't work with CRU settings for some reason. Any way to fix this?

[Image: s0nZK4d.png]
10-12-2013, 04:19 AM
To use CRU with NVIDIA, you have to disable the extension block, but if the monitor is connected via HDMI, that will also disable any YCbCr color formats. If the monitor can only handle 100 Hz with one of those formats, then you can't use CRU unless you install a custom extension block override.

Look under "Adjust desktop color settings" and check what color format it's using when it's running at 100 Hz without CRU. If you change the color format to RGB, does the monitor show the out of range message? What color formats work at 100 Hz?