PG278Q Hz Problem, need help please
07-26-2015, 08:23 PM
PG278Q Hz Problem, need help please
Hello community

i have an asus pg278q, and an asus g750jx nvidia gtx770m, i can´t get more than 100Hz, after the installation of the driver 353.49-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international.hf that some guy at Nvidia advise me, he told me to restart, and i already made the stereoscopic test, now did ok, but only with 100Hz max..previously i only get 85Hz, and the test was failing.
now i´m at this point
i can´t create a 144Hz personalized resolution, it simply doesn´t appear
i have no CD, because i bought it used.
cable is a displayport, mini in one hand to connect it to my laptop, and the other hand is normal, to connect to the monitor
i was working with an Asus VG248QE, and had no problems, now with this new one, i´m stuck
i already uninstall the drivers with revo uninstaller, then pass with ccleaner, then driver sweeper, and uninstall it from device manager, and nothing i keep getting 100Hz maximum.....

I try this tool CRU, and after deleting all monitors except the ROG one, i edit it to 144Hz, restart is required, i do that, but then it lights up on my notebook display, and i can´t go to the ROG one, i have to restart all drivers again, reboot, and then back to the ROG

my specs and screenshots

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6dbkjku4jflhe...3.zip?dl=0

Need some help here please, like steps to follow, or anything, i´m really desperate.

Thank you very much in advance my friends
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2015, 04:40 AM
RE: PG278Q Hz Problem, need help please
You shouldn't have to do anything special for higher refresh rates to work. Either your laptop only supports DisplayPort 1.1 speeds, or the driver is not handling it correctly. 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz uses a lot of bandwidth and requires DisplayPort 1.2.
07-27-2015, 09:04 AM
(07-27-2015 04:40 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  You shouldn't have to do anything special for higher refresh rates to work. Either your laptop only supports DisplayPort 1.1 speeds, or the driver is not handling it correctly. 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz uses a lot of bandwidth and requires DisplayPort 1.2.

Hello and thank you for your answer my friend, has i told earlier, i have a GTX 770M that was working perfect with an Asus VG248QE, i don´t know what changed....the Notebook is a ROG G750JX, i don´t think that it´s a problem.

But thanks anyway my friend for your kind answer.
07-27-2015, 11:45 AM
You got a new monitor with a higher resolution. That's what changed. The VG248QE uses 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz. You said the problem happens with the PG278Q, which uses 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz. That requires way more bandwidth.
07-27-2015, 12:04 PM
(07-27-2015 11:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  You got a new monitor with a higher resolution. That's what changed. The VG248QE uses 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz. You said the problem happens with the PG278Q, which uses 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz. That requires way more bandwidth.

And you think the GTX 770M can´t handle it? even if i drop to 1920x1080 the 144Hz option doesn´t show.
07-27-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't know what the laptop's hardware can actually handle, but it's behaving like it doesn't support DisplayPort 1.2. That could be a hardware limitation or a driver limitation.

The PG278Q doesn't define 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz as a supported resolution in the EDID, so it's not going to be available if 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz is not available. You could add 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz as a custom resolution, but the PG278Q doesn't have a scaler, so it can't display lower resolutions without GPU scaling.
07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
But the thing is, that I talk to Nvidia and Asus , and both didn't mention nothing regarding the resolution. if a display has 144hz or 120hz, this don't influence in nothing the possibility of the GTX 770M run at that Hz, could slow down a bit because of the high resolution, but not in this case, and the more Hz you got, the less you notice that slow down. After all the hz are there to speed up things. In comparison with the VG248QE, it's only some pixels more, it's not so substatial, and I already play with the 100hz that the PG278Q gives, in 3D with the highest resolution and quality, and didn't notice a thing, like blurring, slow motion, or anything else. Besides this my GTX is compatible with the display or else before I buy it Nvidia or Asus would tell me to don't buy it for that display. Nvidia has now pass my issue to a level 2 engenier, and Asus is going to change the display for another one, so I guess this is a display problem, since I can't move from this options.
07-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Hello my friends

has promise, i feedback my experience.

First - I RMA the display, they brought my another one, i test it, same thing 85Hz top with the driver that you advise me, so i installed the last version of it, and i always have to try to create the 144Hz, even if it doesn't appear, so the NVCP, after close it and open it again, show me at least the 100Hz option.
If i try to create only the 100Hz, it goes "out of range" (unbelievable)

Second - I tried almost all the drives from 340 and above, same thing, with some, he only shows me 85Hz, then i try the same steps to create the 144Hz, same process has i described above, and when i close and reopen the NVCP, 100Hz are shown.

Third - I made a complete factory reset to my laptop, after this, and without any update installed, i plug in the display, 85Hz shown up, and then i try to create the 144Hz, sends me a messege, saying that the display doesn't support that refresh rate.

Four - I install the 340 Nvidia drivers that came with the cd of the display, and install the only drivers that he have, and nothing, same story from the beginning, 100Hz max, and doesn't let me create the 144Hz.

Five - I go to the store (Mediamarkt in this case) and saw one working, they have it plug in to a ROG tower with a GTX980, and they only tell me that they plug it in and that´s it, no drivers of the display where installed, and the 144Hz appears, with no problems.

So, i´m running out of options here, really this is the most strange thing that happen to me since i was born.....i really don´t know what else i can do, the only option left, is update all windows again to 8.1, and see if something changes (what i doubt), or RMA again the display, but i think that Asus might change it, but i think it´s the last time they are going to do it.....so i don´t know what to do.

The only option that i have left, is taking my notebook to the store (Mediamarkt), and plug it in that display that was working there, and see what happens.

I´m very frustrated with this situation, and i don´t know what else i can do beside this.

My notebook is an Asus G750JX, with a GTX770M, here are the full specs
ASUS ROG G750JX - Overview

When i get in to the store, and try my last resort, i will feedback.

If you have any other solutions, please just let me know...

Thank you very very much once again for all your attention.
07-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Ok tested in the store, in one that was working, same result. do I need to get a more powerful cable?!?! Really this is a mess.....
08-01-2015, 07:35 PM
I already told you what the problem is. Either your laptop doesn't support DisplayPort 1.2, or the driver doesn't support DisplayPort 1.2 for your laptop.

(07-27-2015 04:01 PM)Al_Jourgensen Wrote:  But the thing is, that I talk to Nvidia and Asus , and both didn't mention nothing regarding the resolution. if a display has 144hz or 120hz, this don't influence in nothing the possibility of the GTX 770M run at that Hz, could slow down a bit because of the high resolution, but not in this case, and the more Hz you got, the less you notice that slow down. After all the hz are there to speed up things. In comparison with the VG248QE, it's only some pixels more, it's not so substatial, and I already play with the 100hz that the PG278Q gives, in 3D with the highest resolution and quality, and didn't notice a thing, like blurring, slow motion, or anything else.
That's like saying a 1 TB hard drive is only some bytes more than a 600 GB hard drive. It's very substantial. 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz requires about 70% more bandwidth than 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz. This is a data transfer limitation, not a processing power limitation.