Qnix qx2710 and R9-280x
11-10-2013, 04:10 PM (Last edited: 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM by diceair)
Qnix qx2710 and R9-280x
Hi there.

I donwloaded the altest ATI/amd patcher from this website but whenever I suse it i can't even play a video file and some of my games doesn't detect the Hz right. like for example BF4 will flicker etc etc. i was running fine for months on GTX570sli so i decided to upgrade to R9-280x crossfire. i tried disabling the crossfire and still same issue.

i'm running the lates motherboard bios and latest AMd drivers. I also tried changing crossfire bridge and also cable nothing seems to work. So i guess it's to do with new cards and this patcher. maybe Toasty can enlighten me what to do. Any suggestions?

oh and when i overclock my monitor I also get inconstant gpu usage on bf4. I have it overclocked to 96hz but in bf4 my fps is set at 100fps with vsync enabled and gpu usage will for example be 99% on one gpu then 70% on the other gpu. i tried with crossfire disabled but same issue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
RE: Qnix qx2710 and R9-280x
(11-10-2013 04:10 PM)diceair Wrote:  I donwloaded the altest ATI/amd patcher from this website but whenever I suse it i can't even play a video file
The video playback issues are described in the main post. What player are you having problems with?

(11-10-2013 04:10 PM)diceair Wrote:  and some of my games doesn't detect the Hz right. like for example BF4 will flicker etc etc.
What does this mean? Make sure you are using two CrossFire bridges. If that doesn't help, try swapping the cards so the other card is the main one.

The patch by itself should not affect games. What happens if you patch the driver but leave it at 60 Hz?

Try unpatching the driver and adding 84.899 Hz using the "LCD reduced" timing option. If the problem still happens, then it's a driver or hardware issue and not the patch.
11-10-2013, 09:57 PM (Last edited: 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM by diceair)
ok will try that

So I treid adding that hz but I can't set my refresh rate to 85hz. I will try swapping the cards around to see if that helps

Ok so far so good. Swapped the cards around and connected the both Crossfire bridges. Now I can do 96Hz. oh BTW before I swapped the cards around I was getting screen flickering and something that looks like a double image going across the screen. Let's see how it goes. Even when I play battlefield 4 my gpu usage was something like 70% on the one card and 95+% on the other. now it's exactly the same. the game was also lagging a bit but now it feels so smooth man. just amazing. I hope it will stay this way.

Again thanks for the help Smile
11-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Ok so back to the issue. I just got back from work and same issue. screen flickers. it's like a double image scanning over the screen almost like an old tv. I tried LCD reducd but still doesn't work
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Sorry if this is spamming but after further investigation I see a pixel clock anything above 330mhz gives me issues. anything under that will run fine.
11-11-2013, 10:03 PM
So before I go on with my testing. I did a reset to default with both crossfire bridges connected and now my game is sometimes a bit shaky etc etc. so I decided let's test with just one crossfire bridge in and what do you know my games are working. no flickering, double image etc etc but htere is one BIIIIIGGGG problem and that's that my gpu usage is not the same for both cards. will be something like 40% one card and 70% the other card

btw i tried with having just one crossfire bridge on both crossfire connectors. I tried the same ones and testing each crossfire bridge so all bridges do work
11-11-2013, 11:42 PM
(11-11-2013 05:48 PM)diceair Wrote:  Sorry if this is spamming but after further investigation I see a pixel clock anything above 330mhz gives me issues. anything under that will run fine.
Is the limit exactly 330 MHz? I need to know what happens if you try a resolution at 329.99 MHz without patching the driver.
11-12-2013, 07:29 AM (Last edited: 11-12-2013, 07:37 AM by diceair)
This is my issue. i took this video to show what exactly is happening

http://youtu.be/80NDUAyUcRM

that was running a pixel clock of 329.98 81Hz without the patcher. But when I have a single card in this system then my screen is running fine and so on. Also only happens whne running 2x crossfire bridges. with one it works but the usage on both cards aren't the same. one card will be 90+% usage and the other one like 70-75% usage and my game doesn't feel smooth
11-14-2013, 02:54 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM by diceair)
So it was working fine till now. My pc froze up on me and then i rebooted. Again it hang up on me while loading bf4 and then I tried just now and my game is doing the same as in that video so anyone with sollution for me. i tried going just lower than 330 pixel clock but nothing.

ok by changing the hz back to 60hz and then in game having 96hz seems to work so far. is there any way I can either force my gpu memory to sit at full speed on desktop or run 60hz on desktop and force games to run 96hz
11-15-2013, 03:46 AM
(11-12-2013 07:29 AM)diceair Wrote:  This is my issue. i took this video to show what exactly is happening

http://youtu.be/80NDUAyUcRM

that was running a pixel clock of 329.98 81Hz without the patcher. But when I have a single card in this system then my screen is running fine and so on. Also only happens whne running 2x crossfire bridges. with one it works but the usage on both cards aren't the same. one card will be 90+% usage and the other one like 70-75% usage and my game doesn't feel smooth
Those are CrossFire issues unrelated to the patch. Using two CrossFire bridges is supposed to fix the GPU usage problem at higher pixel clocks, but I don't know why you're getting that scrolling effect. It's almost like the two cards aren't agreeing on the refresh rate. Make sure "reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays" is NOT enabled.

(11-14-2013 02:54 PM)diceair Wrote:  ok by changing the hz back to 60hz and then in game having 96hz seems to work so far. is there any way I can either force my gpu memory to sit at full speed on desktop or run 60hz on desktop and force games to run 96hz
If you reduce the vertical total for the resolution to something below standard such as 1450, the memory clock should stay at full speed and never change. The GPU core clock will still be reduced when idle.

It's possible to completely prevent the video card from changing clock speeds by using MSI Afterburner and setting UnofficialOverclockingMode to 2: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

The only problem with that is the video card will always be running at full speed, even when idle.