Removing TV Resolution causes black screens & Crashesa
03-02-2023, 03:21 AM
Removing TV Resolution causes black screens & Crashesa
Hi @ToastyX or anyone that can help.

I have the new lg gr95qe-b 240hz monitor. There is a bug in the monitor that locks games to 4k 120hz at fullscreen. I have an NVIDIA 4090, and I am on the latest driver 531.18. When I remove the 4k options and/or remove the TV resolutions in the tool. It completely black screens my computer if not crashes/freezes my computer. I am lost and I have no idea what I can do about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2023, 04:53 AM
RE: Removing TV Resolution causes black screens & Crashesa
NVIDIA's driver has a bug that can cause the driver to crash in some cases after making any change with CRU. I don't know what the trigger is because it doesn't happen to everyone. Some people mentioned the problem went away after using DDU and reinstalling the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-
03-02-2023, 06:12 PM (Last edited: 03-02-2023, 06:56 PM by M83)
(03-02-2023 04:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  NVIDIA's driver has a bug that can cause the driver to crash in some cases after making any change with CRU. I don't know what the trigger is because it doesn't happen to everyone. Some people mentioned the problem went away after using DDU and reinstalling the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-

So the Goal here is to use DDU , run CRU, and then reinstall the nvidia drivers again? Am i gettting the order of operations here correct?

(03-02-2023 06:12 PM)M83 Wrote:  
(03-02-2023 04:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  NVIDIA's driver has a bug that can cause the driver to crash in some cases after making any change with CRU. I don't know what the trigger is because it doesn't happen to everyone. Some people mentioned the problem went away after using DDU and reinstalling the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-

So the Goal here is to use DDU , run CRU, and then reinstall the nvidia drivers again? Am i gettting the order of operations here correct?

Or is the correct response to use DDU, reinstall the driver, and then use CRU? Thanks for your help
03-02-2023, 07:02 PM
Use DDU, reinstall the driver, and then use CRU.
03-02-2023, 07:30 PM
(03-02-2023 07:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Use DDU, reinstall the driver, and then use CRU.

Thanks for the quick reply Toasty. This didnt seem to work, after installing the latest driver, the computer still crashed and blackscreened. Do you think I should uninstall the driver again , use CRU , and then reinstall the driver? Or is there no longer a fix for this topic. Thanks
03-02-2023, 07:37 PM
No, CRU needs the driver installed. Export a file in CRU with the changes you made and attach it here.
03-02-2023, 07:45 PM
(03-02-2023 07:37 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  No, CRU needs the driver installed. Export a file in CRU with the changes you made and attach it here.

Thanks , here are the changes:

In case the attachment does not reflect the changes:

The steps I followed:

1. Opened CRU
2. Clicked On The Active Appropriate Monitor
3. Went to the CTA-861 Extension Block
4. In the Data Blocks Tab , I clicked on TV Resolutions.
5. Deleted All TV Resolutions ( I even tried it where I deleted only the 4k options)
6. Click Ok on both windows.
7. Closed CRU and clicked restart64
8. computer freezes/blackscreens/crashes
(Also did manual reboot instead of running restart64 and same result)

Thanks

Attached File(s)
.bin  exportedcru.bin (Size: 512 bytes / Downloads: 92)
03-02-2023, 08:42 PM
Delete the 4:2:0 capability map data block because that relies on the TV resolutions being there. You might want to delete the 4K resolutions in the HDMI data block as well. You can try deleting the extension block map as well. None of those should really cause the driver to crash, so it's a driver bug that should be reported to NVIDIA, but maybe one of those changes will fix the problem.
03-02-2023, 10:56 PM
(03-02-2023 08:42 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Delete the 4:2:0 capability map data block because that relies on the TV resolutions being there. You might want to delete the 4K resolutions in the HDMI data block as well. You can try deleting the extension block map as well. None of those should really cause the driver to crash, so it's a driver bug that should be reported to NVIDIA, but maybe one of those changes will fix the problem.

All the settings/combinations crashed except for deleting the extension block. However when I deleted the extension block. The Resolution on my monitor got locked at 1920x1080 @ 60hz. Is there something I can manipulate here to have it stay at 2560x1440p @240hz?
03-03-2023, 03:12 AM
(03-02-2023 10:56 PM)M83 Wrote:  All the settings/combinations crashed except for deleting the extension block. However when I deleted the extension block. The Resolution on my monitor got locked at 1920x1080 @ 60hz. Is there something I can manipulate here to have it stay at 2560x1440p @240hz?
That should not happen. Something is seriously wrong with the driver. You need to report that to NVIDIA.