Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE)
02-01-2022, 07:00 PM (Last edited: 01-15-2024, 09:00 PM by ToastyX)
Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE)
Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE) is a tool for editing the list of GPU-scaled resolutions that are automatically added by the graphics driver. For AMD GPUs, it can also add custom VSR resolutions.

Download: sre-1.0.zip - Source: sre-1.0-src.zip

A message from ToastyX:

Over the years, I have created various monitor-related software and provided support for free. I would like to continue providing updates and work on new ideas, but I need your support. If you find my software useful, please consider supporting me through Patreon:

[Image: patreon.png]

Requirements:
  • Windows Vista or later
  • AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU with appropriate driver installed (Intel is not supported)
Getting started:
  1. Run SRE.exe. A UAC prompt may appear because it needs permission to access the registry.
  2. Select a GPU from the drop-down list. The first active GPU is selected automatically. "*" means changes were saved.
  3. Edit the resolution list as desired.
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  5. Reboot (or run restart.exe from CRU).
Adding resolutions should be safe because the resolutions are scaled by the GPU, and deleting resolutions should be safe because the resolutions defined by the monitor will always be available. If something goes wrong, run SRE after booting Windows in safe mode and use the "Default" button to restore the default resolution list.

Upgrading the graphics driver may reset the resolution list. You can use the "Export" button to save the resolutions to a text file that you can import later.

AMD-specific notes:
  • Resolutions greater than the monitor's native resolution will only be available if Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) is enabled and the aspect ratio matches the native resolution. The highest possible resolution will depend on the GPU.
  • The driver automatically adds certain resolutions by default only if the aspect ratio matches the native resolution. These are listed in gray. If the resolution is not available but you want it to be, add the resolution to enable it. If you don't want the resolution, you can delete it.
  • 3200x1800 is hard-coded in the driver and can't be deleted. 1920x1080 and 1280x720 are hard-coded in the driver for 21:9 displays. Let me know if you find any other exceptions.
NVIDIA-specific notes:
  • Resolutions greater than the monitor's native resolution will not be available.
  • 1768x992 and 1176x664 are hard-coded in the driver and can't be deleted. Let me know if you find any other exceptions.
Changes in 1.0:
  • Fixed existing resolutions not being found with certain drivers (Lenovo Legion Go)
  • Added new default 21:9 resolutions for AMD
Changes in Beta 4:
  • Added new default resolutions for AMD: 1128x634, 1760x990, 1600x1000, 3072x1728
Changes in Beta 3:
  • Fixed failure to start on older versions of Windows 10
Changes in Beta 2:
  • Fixed failure to start on older versions of Windows
  • Fixed 1x1 appearing in NVIDIA control panel on some displays if all resolutions are deleted
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2022, 11:14 AM
RE: Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE)
windows 7 Gt 630 or intel hd 3000
It doesnt even started. Not by user nor by admin. (process show in task manager)
02-05-2022, 07:30 PM
(02-05-2022 11:14 AM)mycop Wrote:  windows 7 Gt 630 or intel hd 3000
It doesnt even started. Not by user nor by admin. (process show in task manager)
Sorry about that. Fixed in Beta 2.
02-06-2022, 08:41 AM
this app only add or remove resolution maked by driver?
It can add 3d resolution? (framepacked )
It can create upscaled resolution pixel by pixel? for example 1920 to 3840 ? (without interpolation)
02-06-2022, 09:30 PM
It doesn't deal with 3D, although in theory, scaled resolutions should support the same 3D formats as the native resolution, but I don't know if the driver handles that. Integer scaling is possible with GPUs that support it (GTX 1600-series and later, Radeon HD 7000-series and later).
02-12-2022, 11:16 PM (Last edited: 02-12-2022, 11:32 PM by CRTFTW)
Thanks for doing this! It's always annoyed me that AMD only supported VSR at handful of native resolutions.

But I have a a problem with my setup, and I'm not exactly sure of the root cause.

I'm using an MST hub, the Sunix DPU3000, as the DAC for my CRT monitor.

The VSR option just isn't appearing, no matter what I set my resolution to, including the native resolution in the EDID.

I should also mention that CRU is largely ignored when I use this MST hub. Like, no custom resolutions will work. Though some (annoying) games will try to switch to "native" res when fullscreened, I can trick them by switching the top resolution in CRU. Given that resolution exists on the physical EDID. So CRU isn't completely ignored, just mostly.

So I'm guessing these two problems might be connected.
02-13-2022, 06:35 PM
(02-12-2022 11:16 PM)CRTFTW Wrote:  I should also mention that CRU is largely ignored when I use this MST hub. Like, no custom resolutions will work. Though some (annoying) games will try to switch to "native" res when fullscreened, I can trick them by switching the top resolution in CRU. Given that resolution exists on the physical EDID. So CRU isn't completely ignored, just mostly.
AMD's driver ignores EDID overrides with MST hubs. I don't know if VSR is possible with MST hubs.
04-04-2022, 05:56 AM
Any plans to add support for Intel IGPs, specifically the UHD 630? I have a UHD laptop display and the Intel driver doesn't support 2560x1440 while supporting similar but useless resolutions like 2560x1600, 2560x2048, and 2560x1920.
This tool looks perfect for the job of editing one of those random resolutions to 1440p.
2560x1440 works fine if I disable the Intel IGP (and Optimus) and use the better Nvidia driver so it's not like the panel can't run that resolution.
04-04-2022, 02:33 PM
(04-04-2022 05:56 AM)dxph Wrote:  Any plans to add support for Intel IGPs, specifically the UHD 630? I have a UHD laptop display and the Intel driver doesn't support 2560x1440 while supporting similar but useless resolutions like 2560x1600, 2560x2048, and 2560x1920.
I have not found a way to add scaled resolutions with Intel's driver.
04-20-2022, 11:35 PM (Last edited: 04-21-2022, 12:00 AM by Nopa)
(02-01-2022 07:00 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE) lets you edit the list of GPU-scaled resolutions that are automatically added by the graphics driver. For AMD GPUs, you can also add custom VSR resolutions.

Download: sre-beta2.zip

A message from ToastyX:

Over the years, I have created various monitor-related software and provided support for free. I would like to continue providing updates and work on new ideas, but I need your support. If you find my software useful, please consider supporting me through Patreon:

[Image: patreon.png]

Requirements:
  • Windows Vista or later
  • AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU with appropriate driver installed (Intel is currently not supported)
Getting started:
  1. Run SRE.exe. A UAC prompt may appear because it needs permission to access the registry.
  2. Select a GPU from the drop-down list. The first active GPU should be selected automatically. "*" means changes were saved.
  3. Edit the resolution list as desired.
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  5. Reboot (or run restart.exe from CRU).
Adding resolutions should be safe because the resolutions are scaled by the GPU, and deleting resolutions should be safe because the resolutions defined by the monitor will always be available. If something goes wrong, run SRE after booting Windows in safe mode and use the "Default" button to restore the default resolution list.

Upgrading the graphics driver may reset the resolution list. You can use the "Export" button to save the resolutions to a text file that you can import later.

AMD-specific notes:
  • Resolutions greater than the monitor's native resolution will only be available if Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) is enabled and the aspect ratio matches the native resolution. The highest possible resolution will depend on the GPU.
  • The driver automatically adds certain resolutions by default only if the aspect ratio matches the native resolution. These are listed in gray. If the resolution is not available but you want it to be, add the resolution to enable it. If you don't want the resolution, you can delete it.
  • 3200x1800 is hard-coded in the driver and can't be deleted. Let me know if you find any other exceptions.
NVIDIA-specific notes:
  • Resolutions greater than the monitor's native resolution will not be available.
Changes in Beta 2:
  • Fixed failure to start on older versions of Windows
  • Fixed 1x1 appearing in NVIDIA control panel on some displays if all resolutions are deleted

Hello, ToastyX!

I’m new here. Is CustomVSRTool (AMD) similar to Orbmu2k’s (NVIDIA) CustomDSRTool possible ?

I’ve read somewhere you can bump/fake the resolution up to 16384x16384 (16K x 16K) before DX9-12 APIs started crashing and games became freeze. CustomDSRTool by Orbmu2k was discontinued since late 2019, alongside NVInspector/NVInspectorProfile.
Anyway, I got a 6900 XT, I’d like to try 16K on 2000s Era games. I’m using a 16:10 4K monitor, currently able to maxed out at 8K VSR. I’d love to go even further playing 16K on old games.

Is it possible without using 3rd-party tool like Orbmu2k’s / what should I do?

@https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZ6hPMgVcQ

To play at that resolution is very excited! Sadly, I don’t have an NV Card anymore. I’ve been searching for a way to achieve 16K using a Radeon Card for a very longtime. Lucky to find many enthusiast 3rd-party Tools developers here.