Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(11-02-2013 05:40 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you have an NVIDIA card, make sure GeForce Experience is not installed. GeForce Experience triggers a bug in NVIDIA's driver that can cause problems with installed refresh rates. Samsung Magician also triggers the same bug.

Also, check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there are no mirror drivers or anything other than your video card. Mirror drivers create virtual devices that can interfere with installed refresh rates.

that was it. the GeForce experience was causing the problems. thanks for the help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 01:46 AM (Last edited: 11-07-2013, 01:48 AM by twoism)
Does strobelight automatically enable/disable lightboost depending on the application running? I've got a vg248QE and an HD5770, and whenever i run quake live it seems that the monitor automatically switches lightboost on, and the ctrl alt +/- command doesn't change the setting.
11-07-2013, 01:57 AM
(11-07-2013 01:46 AM)twoism Wrote:  Does strobelight automatically enable/disable lightboost depending on the application running? I've got a vh248QE and an HD5770, and whenever i run quake live it seems that the monitor automatically switches lightboost on, and the ctrl alt +/- command doesn't change the setting.
No, but the game can change the refresh rate, which affects whether or not strobing is enabled. I think Quake Live has an option to use a particular refresh rate: r_displayrefresh
11-07-2013, 02:01 AM
(11-07-2013 01:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  No, but the game can change the refresh rate, which affects whether or not strobing is enabled. I think Quake Live has an option to use a particular refresh rate: r_displayrefresh

ok, that must be it. i changed r_displayrefresh to 120 from 144 when i was testing lightboost. so any time the monitor is set to 120hz, lightboost will automatically be enabled, correct?
11-07-2013, 02:28 AM
(11-07-2013 02:01 AM)twoism Wrote:  so any time the monitor is set to 120hz, lightboost will automatically be enabled, correct?
Yes.
11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I've got strobelight installed and it's working great when strobing, but not so much when in 121hz. I get weird flickering like the whole image jumps down 10 pixels every few seconds just for maybe one refresh. I got irritated so I uninstalled and went back to normal, but now the flickering persists then as well. I subsequently reinstalled to see if that would help. When I'm in strobed mode, it doesn't flicker at all. It's annoying though, since I'd like to be able to use the normal modes of my monitor.

Right now I'm usinng a Gigabyte R9 280x with an XL2420T; I had this issue originally with a Gigabyte 7870.

Thanks.
11-08-2013, 04:25 PM
(11-08-2013 01:50 PM)infinifc Wrote:  I've got strobelight installed and it's working great when strobing, but not so much when in 121hz. I get weird flickering like the whole image jumps down 10 pixels every few seconds just for maybe one refresh. I got irritated so I uninstalled and went back to normal, but now the flickering persists then as well.
That sounds like a defective monitor. The problem should not persist if you uninstall. Make sure none of the cable connections got loose, and try unplugging the monitor's power while it's powered on to reset the monitor.
11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi, no problem if I connect one tv in HDMI? not affect the LightBoost? if the test UFO works means that everything is perfect? I decided to buy the ASUS VG248QE to activate LightBoost in CS: GO, someone can tell me how to set the CS: GO for me to grasp the LightBoost? is that I honestly do not see a big difference in the game. Sorry for my bad English Big Grin
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Having the TV connected won't affect LightBoost, but it can cause frame rate problems with vsync because the displays have different refresh rates. If the UFO test is working smoothly, then it shouldn't be a problem.

You shouldn't have to do anything special for CS: GO. If the monitor's menu says 3D mode, then it's working. LightBoost works best with vsync on, but some people might not like the additional lag. For best results, make sure the frame rate is high enough to meet the refresh rate.
11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
(11-08-2013 06:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Having the TV connected won't affect LightBoost, but it can cause frame rate problems with vsync because the displays have different refresh rates. If the UFO test is working smoothly, then it shouldn't be a problem.

You shouldn't have to do anything special for CS: GO. If the monitor's menu says 3D mode, then it's working. LightBoost works best with vsync on, but some people might not like the additional lag. For best results, make sure the frame rate is high enough to meet the refresh rate.

Perfect thanks!, for set 120hz in csgo is in launch options -refresh 120 right?