Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
05-08-2014, 03:24 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(05-07-2014 03:56 AM)ReconFirefly Wrote:  Yes, haven't tested it for more than a few mins, but upon launching a game, it pops out of 3d mode.
You haven't given me the information I asked for, and you haven't been clear about what you've done and what happens.

(05-05-2014 08:37 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 03:31 PM)ReconFirefly Wrote:  Well, I have drivers from April, and the monitors seem to jump in and out of light boost mode.
Can you describe what you mean by that? Where does that happen?
With strobelight-setup.exe, what are the monitors listed as with and without Surround? If it's listed as one monitor with Surround, disable Surround first and install the refresh rates on the "(3 active)" monitors. Do not install refresh rates on the NV Surround monitor. Do not add custom resolutions to the NVIDIA control panel at the same time. What happens if you enable Surround with this configuration? What do you mean when you say it's buggy and resets? Are the installed refresh rates available in the Windows screen resolution settings when it resets? Does it still reset if you remove GeForce Experience? If NVIDIA fixed EDID overrides like they said, then this configuration should work. I prefer this method because EDID overrides can control what refresh rates are available in games, and this method is needed to add refresh rates with AMD/ATI cards.

(05-07-2014 03:56 AM)ReconFirefly Wrote:  Yes, haven't tested it for more than a few mins, but upon launching a game, it pops out of 3d mode.
Is this with the NVIDIA control panel method? If it works consistently on the desktop, then LightBoost should work in games at 120 Hz. Are the games using the correct refresh rate? Check the NVIDIA control panel under "Manage 3D settings" and make sure "Preferred refresh rate" is set to "Application controlled" and not "Highest available" so it doesn't try to force 121/144 Hz.

(05-07-2014 12:47 AM)ReconFirefly Wrote:  Will try resetting fresh rates and Geforce Exp. Also, are you still holdingoff on making that program for doing the manual pin pulling? If this fails, I'm not looking forward to tracking down an 8800.
I don't know. Flashing the EDID is risky, and DDC is already unreliable, so it could corrupt the EDID if there are communication problems. Modifying the monitor is also risky. This should be doable with just EDID overrides or custom resolutions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 06:01 PM
(05-08-2014 03:24 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
You haven't given me the information I asked for, and you haven't been clear about what you've done and what happens.

(05-05-2014 08:37 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 03:31 PM)ReconFirefly Wrote:  Well, I have drivers from April, and the monitors seem to jump in and out of light boost mode.
Can you describe what you mean by that? Where does that happen?
With strobelight-setup.exe, what are the monitors listed as with and without Surround? If it's listed as one monitor with Surround, disable Surround first and install the refresh rates on the "(3 active)" monitors. Do not install refresh rates on the NV Surround monitor. Do not add custom resolutions to the NVIDIA control panel at the same time. What happens if you enable Surround with this configuration? What do you mean when you say it's buggy and resets? Are the installed refresh rates available in the Windows screen resolution settings when it resets? Does it still reset if you remove GeForce Experience? If NVIDIA fixed EDID overrides like they said, then this configuration should work. I prefer this method because EDID overrides can control what refresh rates are available in games, and this method is needed to add refresh rates with AMD/ATI cards.

Is this with the NVIDIA control panel method? If it works consistently on the desktop, then LightBoost should work in games at 120 Hz. Are the games using the correct refresh rate? Check the NVIDIA control panel under "Manage 3D settings" and make sure "Preferred refresh rate" is set to "Application controlled" and not "Highest available" so it doesn't try to force 121/144 Hz.

(05-07-2014 12:47 AM)ReconFirefly Wrote:  Will try resetting fresh rates and Geforce Exp. Also, are you still holdingoff on making that program for doing the manual pin pulling? If this fails, I'm not looking forward to tracking down an 8800.
I don't know. Flashing the EDID is risky, and DDC is already unreliable, so it could corrupt the EDID if there are communication problems. Modifying the monitor is also risky. This should be doable with just EDID overrides or custom resolutions.

Good idea with the refresh rate setting. I'll test that when I get home.
05-13-2014, 05:18 AM (Last edited: 05-13-2014, 05:18 AM by ReconFirefly)
I've done the hardware mod, and all is well.

The version of PowerStrip from the pirate bay (use at your own risk, I'm not condoning piracy) has been tested and works on x64 windows 7 with a 8800GT.

As for the pin removal, score the pin with an exacto-knife, then come in from the back with a thumbtack to pop it upwards.

Thanks to Toni, Mark and ToastyX.

ToastyX, I'd like to make a donation to you. I don't have paypal, but I do have a giftcard with a couple bucks for summer sale games or coffee or whatever you great programmers convert into code nowadays. PM or skype me.

Cheers

-Recon
05-19-2014, 03:15 PM
(05-05-2014 09:02 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 09:34 PM)aCidz Wrote:  I have my new monitor (XL2411T) since today. i use a r9 280x.
I have made some tweak for the color (brightness / contrast / gamme 5 / user profile etc...)
I tried the strobelight-beta4 ----> works perfectly but .... the colors are just sooo bad.
Can someone know some good setting?
I need help with the strobelight setting ( contrast / lightboost percentage etc...) and maybe a setting for Catalyst with the color.
The problem is the monitor doesn't allow color adjustments with LightBoost active, and video card color settings don't work with many full screen games.

These programs with some games:

Color Profile Keeper: http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/
Color Sustainer: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4758590

I don't have a color profile for the XL2411T, but I see you've found some settings that you're happy with here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1817308

Hi there, BenQ XL2411t user here! Happy to post my hardware calibrated colour profile for my monitor, whether it will do you any good or not who knows! Smile Just a quick question for Toasty though , I have an issue with Strobelight which I read a few other users had but no solution, that every few minutes the bottom half of the monitor flickers black for a split second its very annoying. Its not interference as the cable is shielded AND atleast 10cm from EVERY other cable. Neither is it a monitor problem as I switched back to un-strobed the past month and the problem has not occured, any help? Thanks

As for the colour profile , place it in the following directory :C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color
and then go to colour management on your PC and set it as the default for your monitor , again it may or may not help I hope it does Smile

BenQ XL2411T calibrated flowwwie : http://www.mediafire.com/download/m44c6t...Q-_LB).icm
05-19-2014, 04:57 PM
(05-19-2014 03:15 PM)Flowwwie Wrote:  Just a quick question for Toasty though , I have an issue with Strobelight which I read a few other users had but no solution, that every few minutes the bottom half of the monitor flickers black for a split second its very annoying. Its not interference as the cable is shielded AND atleast 10cm from EVERY other cable. Neither is it a monitor problem as I switched back to un-strobed the past month and the problem has not occured, any help? Thanks
That's not something Strobelight can cause. It's possible for the monitor to have a defect that only affects strobed modes.
05-19-2014, 06:23 PM
(05-19-2014 04:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 03:15 PM)Flowwwie Wrote:  Just a quick question for Toasty though , I have an issue with Strobelight which I read a few other users had but no solution, that every few minutes the bottom half of the monitor flickers black for a split second its very annoying. Its not interference as the cable is shielded AND atleast 10cm from EVERY other cable. Neither is it a monitor problem as I switched back to un-strobed the past month and the problem has not occured, any help? Thanks
That's not something Strobelight can cause. It's possible for the monitor to have a defect that only affects strobed modes.

Hm yes sorry I hadn't considered how the monitor actually runs in a different mode with it thinking its running in 3d .. well thanks anyway Tongue
05-24-2014, 07:47 AM
What about linux support? As i understand only on an activation part with the handshake is required to use lightboost on a linux platform. So are there any plans to port it on non-windows platforms?
05-29-2014, 07:23 PM
(05-24-2014 07:47 AM)user135 Wrote:  What about linux support? As i understand only on an activation part with the handshake is required to use lightboost on a linux platform. So are there any plans to port it on non-windows platforms?
I don't think Linux has a way to change the I2C clock speed without modifying the driver, and then there are different drivers for different video cards, so I don't know.
06-14-2014, 03:40 PM
(05-01-2014 09:34 PM)aCidz Wrote:  Hello men,
I have my new monitor (XL2411T) since today. i use a r9 280x.
I have made some tweak for the color (brightness / contrast / gamme 5 / user profile etc...)
I tried the strobelight-beta4 ----> works perfectly but .... the colors are just sooo bad.
Can someone know some good setting?
I need help with the strobelight setting ( contrast / lightboost percentage etc...) and maybe a setting for Catalyst with the color.
Thx Big Grin

on the 2720T:

Contrast 50%
100% Lightboost

After switching Strobelight on / off you have to wait several minutes, until the monitor reaches the colors / brightness and contrast.

OSD:

50% contrast
40% brightness
sharpness 6
gamma 1
color temps user 100, 97, 95

And dont forget to wait, the monitor needs time to give you the best performance.
06-17-2014, 09:21 AM (Last edited: 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM by Steve30x)
Thanks for this utility but I followed the instructions and the strobe light beta 4 tool has been initialising with over ten minutes. Its now at pass 3230 and counting up in the popup box.My monitor is a BenQ XL2411Z with Nvidia GTX680 driver 337.91 in windows 7 X64. Do I need to enable 3D for this tool to work?

[EDIT] Never mind. I should have done a search before posting. I see my monitor isnt supported. Thats a pitty.