Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
11-06-2014, 07:14 PM (Last edited: 11-06-2014, 07:43 PM by roybiggens)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
That's with surround enabled, but now you've got me wondering about something. Since moving to the Nvidia card I've felt like some of the smoothness was lost, but honestly I just chalked it up to my imagination. Maybe it isn't though. So if I understand what you're saying, the strobing effect might not be running at 120hz even though my monitors are refreshing at 120hz?

What would be the simplest way to check what's going on there?

If that's the case, there's about to be a GTX 980 for sale.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 10:39 PM
(11-06-2014 07:14 PM)roybiggens Wrote:  That's with surround enabled, but now you've got me wondering about something. Since moving to the Nvidia card I've felt like some of the smoothness was lost, but honestly I just chalked it up to my imagination. Maybe it isn't though. So if I understand what you're saying, the strobing effect might not be running at 120hz even though my monitors are refreshing at 120hz?

Check each monitor's menu to see if it's running in 3D mode. It should say "3D Mode" in the top right.
11-07-2014, 12:14 AM
Ok what gives... my old gtx770 sc 4b worked awesome with strobelight beta4... Go and buy gtx980 g1 and it doesn't work!? it says it initialized but it definitely did not... looks the same, still blurring going on in bf4.... WTF? Any suggestions? drivers are latest as of this post.
11-07-2014, 03:22 AM
(11-07-2014 12:14 AM)ADHDOCD Wrote:  Ok what gives... my old gtx770 sc 4b worked awesome with strobelight beta4... Go and buy gtx980 g1 and it doesn't work!? it says it initialized but it definitely did not... looks the same, still blurring going on in bf4.... WTF? Any suggestions? drivers are latest as of this post.
Have you reinstalled the refresh rates? They need to be reinstalled if you change video cards. I can't think of any other reason.

Initializing the monitor simply unlocks 3D mode to allow the refresh rates to enable LightBoost. Make sure BF4 is using the correct refresh rate.
11-07-2014, 01:52 PM (Last edited: 11-07-2014, 02:01 PM by roybiggens)
(11-06-2014 10:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 07:14 PM)roybiggens Wrote:  That's with surround enabled, but now you've got me wondering about something. Since moving to the Nvidia card I've felt like some of the smoothness was lost, but honestly I just chalked it up to my imagination. Maybe it isn't though. So if I understand what you're saying, the strobing effect might not be running at 120hz even though my monitors are refreshing at 120hz?

Check each monitor's menu to see if it's running in 3D mode. It should say "3D Mode" in the top right.

Ok, I got it figured out, and it indeed was NOT working. The monitors weren't in 3d mode. I'd used the AMD card for so long that I completely forgot about the little green LED on the monitor bezel to indicate 3d mode was enabled. I put the AMD back in and re-ran the setup and it worked just like it always had. The smoothness returned too. Disappointing, but I should have done my homework before buying the 980.

So at this point, it looks like I have two options.
1. Sell the 980 and stick with AMD
or
2. Keep the 980 and upgrade to a current monitor that utilizes ULMB via hardware.

Does that sound about right?

If those are really are my options, then do you think there's enough difference in hardware ULMB vs. Strobelight to warrant the cost?

Thanks again Toasty.
11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
(11-07-2014 01:52 PM)roybiggens Wrote:  Ok, I got it figured out, and it indeed was NOT working. The monitors weren't in 3d mode. I'd used the AMD card for so long that I completely forgot about the little green LED on the monitor bezel to indicate 3d mode was enabled. I put the AMD back in and re-ran the setup and it worked just like it always had. The smoothness returned too. Disappointing, but I should have done my homework before buying the 980.

So at this point, it looks like I have two options.
1. Sell the 980 and stick with AMD
or
2. Keep the 980 and upgrade to a current monitor that utilizes ULMB via hardware.

Does that sound about right?

If those are really are my options, then do you think there's enough difference in hardware ULMB vs. Strobelight to warrant the cost?

Thanks again Toasty.
The third option is to flash each monitor's EDID with the EDID override, but I'm not sure how easily that can be done with the BenQ monitors. I know the ASUS monitors require a hardware modification to remove the write protection: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-b...dware-mod/

There's a chance the BenQ monitors might not be write-protected. You can use CRU to export a .bin file of the EDID override.
11-13-2014, 01:27 AM
Newest Nvidia drivers and it seems to work again can anyone confirm?

I have x3 Benq xl2720t's with a GTX 780 and it seems to be working
11-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Why is this utility does not work correctly in PES 2014 and PES 2015. At 120 frames game microshuttering. Help me.
11-14-2014, 02:17 AM
My strobe light isn't working properly anymore. It says strobing on but I cant change the brightness. Also in the UFO test its blurry at 120. I have the BenQ XL2720T, AMD 7970 with the latest drivers. I went back to the older drivers to test and that did not help. Any ideas? Thank you
11-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Guys, do please the new version with support for the new DirectX 11 games like PES 2015, FIFA 15. I beg you!