Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM (Last edited: 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM by orangetriad)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
That can actually occur:
-- Your monitor's LightBoost was already successfully initialized through a different method.
-- Your monitor was still switching modes upon startup. Do you have any problems if you run strobelight manually, outside of the Startup folder?

No problem running it manually. That's what I'm doing now, installed the refresh rates and skipped the part where you add it to the start folder and I get no error and I can manually launch strobelight with no problems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2013, 12:18 AM
(07-02-2013 02:30 PM)orangetriad Wrote:  Hey ToastyX, when I restart my computer it gives the error No compatible displays found. When I hit restart it takes it to lightboost mode and everything works fine I can turn it off and on. Can that dialog be disabled? Everything perfectly except for that error at the very start.
That happens if it doesn't get a proper response from the monitor, which can happen if the monitor just turned on or switched resolutions within the last few seconds. Disabling the dialog won't solve the problem because then the brightness settings won't work. I need to make it retry automatically, but that can delay the startup if it probes an unsupported monitor. I will make it work somehow.
07-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Hello, and many thanks for your work!
I am using this program with my Benq XL2411T monitor and an Radeon 7970 card (Catalyst 13.6 beta 2).
Installation went fine. After restart the Lightboost mode was turned on automatic. However, when I fire up the game DiRT 2 the monitor jumps back to standard mode. Tried to manually change the refresh rate to 120Hz in the game graphics settings and restart the game, but no success. Alt-tabbing into Windows brings back Lightboost, but nothing I tried kept it on while the game was in full screen. I played the game in window mode just to get a feel for what Lightboost does and I was very impressed.
One more thing. Sometimes when I first start the computer, strobelight.exe turns out an error message saying that no compatible monitor was detected. After I click Retry everything is ok, Lightboost activates. Perhaps something can be done so that this message no longer appears.

Here is an idea for a new feature: ability to load a custom color profile when Lightboost activates, and fallback to standard color profile when its off. Perhaps adding built-in custom colour profiles for some of the well known Lightboost monitors can also be done.
Sadly my Benq monitor makes white nuances turn slightly reddish and blue into purple ones.
07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Ok, i figured out the problem with DiRT 2. The game config file did not allow for a refresh rate higher than 60Hz. A quick edit and problem solved.
07-04-2013, 07:19 AM
(06-30-2013 07:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Try waving a finger in front of the screen. If you can see a strobing effect (easiest to see in a dark room), then it's definitely working and you're just not seeing the difference.

sorry this sounds silly but

could you explain this in a manner even a noob can understand?

how can i tell if i'm really seeing a strobing effect Sad
07-04-2013, 06:49 PM (Last edited: 07-04-2013, 06:50 PM by Godde)
Thank you so much for making Lightboost available for AMD cards! Ingame motion is an unbelievable improvement from my puny old 60hz monitor!

Feedback: The strobe effect seems to be bound to "altgr"+ 0-9 in addition to ctrl+alt+num0-9. Is this intentional? I'm using a Norwegian keyboard layout, and as such I need access to those keys for regular keyboard usage. (@, $, brackets, and different kinds of punctuation)
Would it be possible to, for example, introduce custom key bindings?

Again, thank you so much.
07-07-2013, 09:04 AM
[Image: http://oi42.tinypic.com/2d6vds1.jpg]

i used that cru thing now this happens... any help?
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM (Last edited: 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM by mdrejhon)
(07-07-2013 09:04 AM)lukerobertson Wrote:  i used that cru thing now this happens... any help?
Can you add more information about this? What is wrong -- are you the same person from Overclock.net? If you're the same person,
(1) can you copy and paste your whole post;
(2) information about your two monitors (which brands monitors?)
(3) what steps you did (when you used CRU, and when you used strobelight.exe);
(4) and which of the two monitors disappeared?
07-08-2013, 01:34 AM (Last edited: 07-08-2013, 01:35 AM by ToastyX)
(07-04-2013 06:49 PM)Godde Wrote:  Feedback: The strobe effect seems to be bound to "altgr"+ 0-9 in addition to ctrl+alt+num0-9. Is this intentional? I'm using a Norwegian keyboard layout, and as such I need access to those keys for regular keyboard usage. (@, $, brackets, and different kinds of punctuation)
Would it be possible to, for example, introduce custom key bindings?
The hotkeys will be fixed in the next beta coming in a few days. I will provide options to change the modifier keys, but I also want Ctrl+Alt to work without affecting AltGr. For some reason, Windows treats AltGr like Ctrl+Alt, and this goes pretty deep, so I have to write my own keyboard handler. This will also allow combinations like Ctrl+Win to work properly.

(07-03-2013 08:28 AM)r3lu84 Wrote:  Sometimes when I first start the computer, strobelight.exe turns out an error message saying that no compatible monitor was detected. After I click Retry everything is ok, Lightboost activates. Perhaps something can be done so that this message no longer appears.
I will try to fix that in the next beta as well.

(07-03-2013 08:28 AM)r3lu84 Wrote:  Here is an idea for a new feature: ability to load a custom color profile when Lightboost activates, and fallback to standard color profile when its off. Perhaps adding built-in custom colour profiles for some of the well known Lightboost monitors can also be done.
I'd like to implement something like that, but it might be a while before I get to it. That might end up being a separate program because it would be useful for other monitors as well. The main problem is figuring out how to get games to use the color profile. That's one problem nobody has been able to fully solve.

(07-04-2013 07:19 AM)lukerobertson Wrote:  how can i tell if i'm really seeing a strobing effect Sad
You should see multiple ghost images of your finger, like individual frames.

(07-07-2013 09:04 AM)lukerobertson Wrote:  i used that cru thing now this happens... any help?
Can you describe the problem? If it's just the monitor name, the name won't show up if you choose four refresh rates in the setup program, but that's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect anything.
07-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Hey there,

I have an ASUS VG248QE with a 6950 w/ unlocked shaders.

I set up strobelight to have 120Hz strobed, 100Hz strobed, and 144Hz normal rates. When in the 120Hz strobed the brightness doesn't change, so I'm assuming it isn't working. However, when in 100Hz strobed the brightness does change.

I don't know if it matters or not, but I also have an LG L246wp connected. The ASUS is the main monitor. I have tried resetting the display and re-initializing strobelight with the same results.

Any ideas? Thanks.