Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(08-01-2013 09:55 AM)JohnnyBigodes Wrote:  I installed the refresh rates 120 Hz (strobed) and 121 Hz (non strobed).

After puting the strobelight.exe in the Autostart menu my monitor got initialized and i saw that 3D light on my BenQ XL2420T is ON.

After that i tried to play BF3 but the 3D light on the Monitor goes everytime OFF. I looked at the game options and the refresh rate is on 120 Hz.
That's weird. Is this with AMD or NVIDIA? NVIDIA has a "preferred refresh rate" option that should be set to "application controlled" and not "highest available"; otherwise, it might try to override 120 Hz with 121 Hz.

(08-01-2013 08:56 AM)LordGurciullo Wrote:  1. I did the ufo test before doing anything... and it seems MORE BLURRY with strobe DISABLED then it did when it was factory?? is that in my head ( or did you do something cool to make the effect even more noticable? Smile?
2. Is it really that freaking different. difference on the ufo test is night and day beyond belief... (but like im saying i dont remember the default factory being as blurry as it is now with strobe DISABLED)
I didn't do anything to the regular modes. It really is that different. The backlight strobing addresses the sample and hold problem, which eliminates motion blur and gives it CRT-like motion. These are the first LCD monitors I've seen that have this capability.

(08-01-2013 08:56 AM)LordGurciullo Wrote:  3. Do i need to mess with nvidia 3d thing? and set that up? How can i optimize games? The brightness settings are grayed out.

PS - In control panel it doesn't show its enabled (do we care)? the check box *enable stereoscopic 3d* is unchecked...
Don't enable 3D unless you actually have 3D glasses and an emitter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM (Last edited: 08-02-2013, 10:29 AM by JohnnyBigodes)
@ToastyX

That could be exactly be the problem.

I have made the changes to get highest refresh rate possible in the NVIDIA drivers.

I am going to test it again tonight.

Are there any settings from you guys to be aplied to a BenQ XL2420T, so that the colors are a bit better?

Thanks for everything
08-02-2013, 02:53 PM (Last edited: 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM by Pippo)
i have installed the program and ran it on 120 hz (s) on my xl2411t - 7970 comb
i also tested it on the ufo and everything is working, except for my catalyst control center, that wont run... i wanted to manage colors as as it is now Red's are very powerful and my whites look pinkish. Any help? Is CCC not supposed to open after enabling strobing?

Also i think its not working properly on CS GO, it seems to be reseting when i turn the game on or off (NVMND, game as set to run at 144 hz)
08-03-2013, 10:53 AM
(08-02-2013 02:53 PM)Pippo Wrote:  i also tested it on the ufo and everything is working, except for my catalyst control center, that wont run... i wanted to manage colors as as it is now Red's are very powerful and my whites look pinkish. Any help? Is CCC not supposed to open after enabling strobing?
I don't know why you're having that problem. It doesn't do anything that would affect CCC.

(08-02-2013 10:28 AM)JohnnyBigodes Wrote:  Are there any settings from you guys to be aplied to a BenQ XL2420T, so that the colors are a bit better?
Brightness should be adjusted in the monitor itself. You can adjust the brightness through Strobelight or in the monitor's menu. If whites are bleached or blown out, reduce the contrast in the monitor's menu.

Everything else has to be adjusted through the video card because the monitor's color controls are disabled in LightBoost mode. If there's a red tint, reduce the contrast for the red channel. If the colors seem washed out, adjust the gamma for all channels. You'll have to play around to see what works for you.

The biggest problem is getting games to use the color settings. There isn't a good solution for that. This works for some games: http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/
08-04-2013, 09:47 AM
works ok at BenQ XL2411T
(windows 7 x64 with nvidia drivers 320.49 (without installing nvidia 3d components))
08-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm having trouble starting windows with strobing off. As mentioned in your instructions, adding "strobelight-off.exe" to the startup folder should disable strobing. However, my windows always starts with strobing enabled.

Is this a bug?
08-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Is Strobelight running on startup? It should show the tray icon if it does. Make sure you don't have two copies in the startup folder.

If it is running, is the "Strobing off" option available and working properly?
08-05-2013, 02:37 AM (Last edited: 08-05-2013, 04:56 AM by diwas13)
Hi, just a quick question. I can't seem to overclock my monitor to a higher refresh rate through the nvidia control panel after using light-boost. Every time I set a custom refresh rate the monitor enters into light boost mode.

Before I was able to successfully get to a 130hz, any suggestions? And this is after I "reset the display." And also does light boost cause input lag?

Edit- Please ignore my first question, just had to unplug the monitor.
08-05-2013, 05:21 AM (Last edited: 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM by treo123)
(08-04-2013 09:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Is Strobelight running on startup? It should show the tray icon if it does. Make sure you don't have two copies in the startup folder.

If it is running, is the "Strobing off" option available and working properly?

Yes, Strobelight is running on startup and there is only one copy in the startup folder.

Also, the Strobing off option works too (cltr + alt + minus)

However, upon booting into Windows, Strobelight is always in the "Strobing on" option. It doesn't really bother me but I would like to boot with Lightboost off.
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
If you exit Strobelight with strobing on and run strobelight-off.exe manually, does it turn strobing off?