Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Persistent 3D enabled on Monitor for dif. media sources?
I have a BIG question that I haven't been able to get to the bottom of for months and anyone who can help is a straight up boss.

Monitor Model: Asus VG248QE

Question: Is there a way to make the LightBoost 3D persistently enabled in the monitor itself either by Hardware or internal software?

I see ... like everyone else ... the monumental advantage this has in competitive gaming but I would like to use the LightBoost hack for occasional games on my XBOX as well.

Can this be done? I work on circuit boards a lot so all i would need is access to the schematic to figure it out ..... I'm half tempted to buy another monitor and tear it down just to get this answered!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 09:18 PM (Last edited: 08-10-2013, 09:35 PM by mdrejhon)
RE: Persistent 3D enabled on Monitor for dif. media sources?
(08-10-2013 08:55 PM)Burlz Wrote:  Question: Is there a way to make the LightBoost 3D persistently enabled in the monitor itself either by Hardware or internal software?
It's done by both the computer and the monitor. LightBoost needs two things simultaneously to work:
(1) A monitor-based hardware unlock. This is a one-time procedure after plugging in monitor. (That's what Strobelight does when it runs for first time)
(2) Custom video signal timings from the computer's GPU. LightBoost only works with a larger Vertical Total, such as 1147 instead of 1125.

To make LightBoost persistently enabled at 120Hz, simply delete all refresh rates for 1920x1080 except for LightBoost 120Hz (120Hz strobed). The easiest way to do this is to re-run Strobelight Setup and install ONLY one refresh rate (120Hz strobed). Viola. Everytime your games run at 1920x1080, it will be forced to run in LightBoost. You will not be able to turn off LightBoost until you unplug-replug your monitor from the power outlet, or if you reinstall refresh rates via Strobelight Setup.

(08-10-2013 08:55 PM)Burlz Wrote:  I see ... like everyone else ... the monumental advantage this has in competitive gaming but I would like to use the LightBoost hack for occasional games on my XBOX as well.
"LightBoosting" lower refresh rates is possible in a homebrew manner if you open up your LightBoost monitor to make modifications to cause it to strobe at different refresh rates. LightBoost is currently hardware-limited to strobe at 100Hz-120Hz. See Electronics Hacking: Creating a Strobe Backlight ... For good hacking, it is important to become familiar with the LightBoost ghosting behavior ... You will need an external strobe driver to replace the monitor's internal strobe driver, and make it trigger based on the monitor's VSYNC signal. You'll also want a strobe-length adjustment and a strobe-phasing adjustment, for the reasons documented in this link. Please contact me at mark[at]blurbusters.com if you want help hacking your monitor, because Blur Busters Blog would like to monitor your progress in hacking a LightBoost monitor. Take photographs of your progress. Blur Busters would love to cover your hacking endeavours!
08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hi Toasty,

I tested this with my XL2411T monitor yesterday and was able to get it working in strobelight mode. Problem is however, that I'm getting a lot of stuttering in-game every 30 seconds or so (The FPS in-game is stable 120). The problem only occurs when Strobelight is installed, regardless of whether Strobelight mode is enabled/disabled. The problem goes away if I uninstall and reboot.

The UFO test also reports stuttering.

Any ideas?

Hardware:

ATI 5850 1GB
XL2411T
Phenom II CPU
08-13-2013, 11:14 PM
ToastyX, just wanted to say that I got a report that the VG278HR (the newer version of VG278H) works great with Radeon's (7990 tested).
08-14-2013, 09:57 PM (Last edited: 08-14-2013, 09:57 PM by blizzars)
Just a quick question.

I'm running dual monitors, One is the VG248QE which does support lightboost and another ASUS monitor which is only 60Hz and does not support it. Also running a radeon 7xxx card, so not nvidia.

When i enable lightboost on the VG248 and run the UFO test, it does not seem to work. But when I disable the 60Hz monitor and run it, everything is valid.

Is this because of the fact that I cannot be running dual monitors with lightboost?
08-15-2013, 12:56 PM
That's likely a browser limitation, not an issue with LightBoost. The UFO test depends on being able to synchronize with the monitor's refresh rate.

LightBoost can be used with multiple monitors, but there may be cases where a program will synchronize with the wrong monitor. Multiple monitors work best when they're all running at the same exact refresh rate.
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
(08-13-2013 12:06 PM)marka Wrote:  I tested this with my XL2411T monitor yesterday and was able to get it working in strobelight mode. Problem is however, that I'm getting a lot of stuttering in-game every 30 seconds or so (The FPS in-game is stable 120). The problem only occurs when Strobelight is installed, regardless of whether Strobelight mode is enabled/disabled. The problem goes away if I uninstall and reboot.
Make sure the frame rate is not capped to the refresh rate. Periodic stuttering can happen if there's a frame rate cap that's close to the refresh rate.

If vsync is enabled, that already acts as a frame rate cap, so having a separate frame rate cap can interfere with that. If the frame rate is stable, there shouldn't be any stuttering.

If vsync is disabled, the frame rate should not be a stable 120. That would indicate a frame rate cap. The frame rate should not be capped to the refresh rate. Tearing and stuttering is worst when the frame rate is close to the refresh rate.

Strobelight by itself shouldn't cause stuttering. It's just there to initialize the monitors on startup and to handle the hotkeys and the menu. You can exit Strobelight and strobing should still work based on the refresh rate. If the stuttering still happens when Strobelight isn't running, then it's very likely an issue with a frame rate cap clashing with the refresh rate.

(08-13-2013 12:06 PM)marka Wrote:  The UFO test also reports stuttering.
The UFO test works differently. If it reports stuttering, that means there's a frame rate issue. Make sure you meet the requirements: http://testufo.com/browser.html
08-15-2013, 02:09 PM
(08-15-2013 12:56 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's likely a browser limitation, not an issue with LightBoost. The UFO test depends on being able to synchronize with the monitor's refresh rate.

LightBoost can be used with multiple monitors, but there may be cases where a program will synchronize with the wrong monitor. Multiple monitors work best when they're all running at the same exact refresh rate.

Ahh, so it is probably synchronized with my other monitor, which is why it is only reading 60Hz.

I know that having multiple monitors with the same refresh rate is ideal but would the set up I have still work? Will the VG248 still run at 144Hz or 120Hz strobed while my other monitor is only 60Hz?
08-15-2013, 02:51 PM
(08-15-2013 02:09 PM)blizzars Wrote:  I know that having multiple monitors with the same refresh rate is ideal but would the set up I have still work? Will the VG248 still run at 144Hz or 120Hz strobed while my other monitor is only 60Hz?
Yes, it will work. Each monitor can run at a different refresh rate. Strobelight should only affect the VG248QE.
08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
(08-15-2013 02:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Yes, it will work. Each monitor can run at a different refresh rate. Strobelight should only affect the VG248QE.

Awesome, that's good to know thanks!