Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-30-2013, 07:57 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hello.

Sorry if I repeat that thought from somebody. Strobelight breaks audio, i.e. when the monitor is connected with DP, activation LightBoost, HDA disappears from audio devices.

As soon as this bug is fixed?

Video: HIS HD7870 IceQ H787Q2G2M
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE on DisplayPort.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2013, 12:19 AM
(08-30-2013 07:57 PM)S_Snake Wrote:  Sorry if I repeat that thought from somebody. Strobelight breaks audio, i.e. when the monitor is connected with DP, activation LightBoost, HDA disappears from audio devices.
With AMD, use CRU to enable the extension block and reboot. That will force all the default non-strobed refresh rates to be available, but it shouldn't affect the installed refresh rates.

That won't work for NVIDIA because the installed refresh rates won't work with the default extension block enabled. I may have a solution for that later.
08-31-2013, 01:58 AM
(08-29-2013 08:24 PM)crossfire266 Wrote:  I'm using a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter from my macbook pro retina to my BENQ XL2411T, is this the problem? Also I tried the CRT method it I think it works?
How do I know if lightboost is enabled because I got through applying it on nvidia settings and turned on 3d stereoscopic and have set the option to always but I don't notice any 'dim of screen' people claim to experience
Enabling LightBoost requires two steps:

1. Unlocking 3D mode in the monitor
2. Switching to 3D mode by changing to a certain resolution

Two problems:

1. All recent MacBooks have switchable graphics, which interferes with the ability to add custom resolutions with the needed refresh rates.

2. Active adapters act as converters, so the signal is being converted from DisplayPort to dual-link DVI. The adapter could be causing problems with DDC communications, which is needed to unlock 3D mode in the monitor.

What's interesting is DDC communication seems to be working even with switchable graphics, although unreliably. This means you can unlock 3D mode in the monitor using the CRU method, but you still need a way to create custom resolutions somehow.

The CRU method can't add custom resolutions with switchable graphics, but if the NVIDIA control panel lets you add custom resolutions, you can use the same values from CRU with the NVIDIA control panel to add the custom 120 Hz refresh rate. The monitor's menu should say "3D Mode" when LightBoost is enabled.
08-31-2013, 04:51 AM (Last edited: 08-31-2013, 04:52 AM by augrunt)
Hi there,

First off, Thank you for making this application!

I went out and bought a BenQ XL2720T today and installed the application and followed the instructions.
However, I'm coming across a weird bug. While Strobing does indeed seem to be running (My monitor shows 3D mode is enabled and the screen is slightly darker and darkens/brightens when I use CTRL + ALT + NUM)... I can't seem to turn it off with the app.

"Strobing off" is greyed out and I haven't noticed anyone post about this in this thread.

[Image: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4601601/strobing.JPG]

I'm running a dual monitor setup (one is the BenQ the other is my secondary monitor that only supports 60hz) with two GTX680s. I'm using the Dual-LINK cable that came with the monitor and I've tried on different DVI ports on the GPU.

I'm not really sure what else to try here and could use some assistance! Smile

Here's the settings used in strobelight-setup.exe
[Image: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4601601/strobing2.JPG]

Regards,
augrunt
08-31-2013, 04:54 AM
ToastyX, thanks.
08-31-2013, 05:15 AM
(08-31-2013 04:51 AM)augrunt Wrote:  However, I'm coming across a weird bug. While Strobing does indeed seem to be running (My monitor shows 3D mode is enabled and the screen is slightly darker and darkens/brightens when I use CTRL + ALT + NUM)... I can't seem to turn it off with the app.

"Strobing off" is greyed out and I haven't noticed anyone post about this in this thread.
That means the non-strobed refresh rates are not available for some reason.

Recently, I've found the NVIDIA driver has issues with EDID overrides when GeForce Experience is installed, so maybe that's related. Try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver without GeForce Experience. Choose the custom install option and uncheck "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" and check "Perform a clean installation" just to be sure. Then run Strobelight setup again and reboot. See if that helps.
08-31-2013, 05:26 AM (Last edited: 08-31-2013, 05:28 AM by augrunt)
Okay, I've installed the latest version of the NVIDIA drivers (beta) and did the above. It didn't seem to fix it after a restart, so I've run the setup again and reset the display + restart. I'm installing the refresh rates now and we'll see how it goes.

Cheers!
augrunt

*EDIT* Nope, no good... its back in Strobing mode now (3D mode light is on + dark) but I can't turn it off.
09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi ToastyX,

I just wanted to register and say that everything works perfectly, that this is absolutely amazing, and thank you so much! I did the UFO test at http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates (as well as dragging windows on my desktop and moving my camera around in games) and I can see a huge improvement in clarity during motion! Non-strobed, I can't see the little UFO's face or the white dots on his spaceship clearly, but strobed, it's clear as day! In SC2, moving the camera around now feels incredibly smooth and crisp. For reference, I have a BenQ XL2420T and an Nvidia GTX 670, using the default 3D contrast of 37 on my monitor - so just as you said in the guide, it works with this monitor just fine.

Thank you!
09-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I just got an Asus VG248QE and installed strobelight on it. As far as I can tell it all works just the way it should. But I don't really notice that much difference between strobelight being on and strobelight being off. The image seems just as sharp without strobelight as it is with it. So I want to uninstall it. But the uninstall instructions given do not work. Using strobelight setup I can successfully restore the normal refresh rates for my monitor, but even after removing strobelight.exe from my startup folder it still appears in my system tray after rebooting, and if I go into my startup folder another copy of strobelight.exe has appeared there. How can I remove it completely?

Thanks!
09-06-2013, 12:23 AM
I don't see how that's possible. Either something is putting the file back in there, or the file is not being deleted properly somehow. Strobelight wouldn't put itself in there. Try removing it in safe mode.