oc monitor dropping frames?
03-03-2013, 11:47 AM
oc monitor dropping frames?
so, a user named black octagon over at Overlord forum directed me here
anyway, there's been something weird happening to my 2b monitor, it appears to be dropping frames, or isn't synched properly, or somethingHuh

here is the thread with the information so far, don't bother watching the videos, they're out of date ( I originally hadn't enabled composition- have now) .
http://overlordforum.com/topic/364-frame...oc/?p=4457
here's a video of it after disabling composition
http://youtu.be/H75-H4wt7-w
this is with toastyx driver's in test mode at 110 hz, 100 hz is much better, although there is the occasional black box. oddly it seems to almost be the opposite behaviour as with the default drivers which are almost fine at 110 and terrible at 100? ( I've described the behaviour of the default drivers in the thread )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Re: oc monitor dropping frames?
Hey mate. Just to be clear, do you have a Yamakasi Catleap Extreme 2B or an Overlord Tempest X270OC? And when did you get it?

You say 2B but then have been posting on the Overlord forum so I'm a tad confused
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
RE: oc monitor dropping frames?
It's not the monitor. Something is interfering with the program's ability to vsync. That can happen if vsync is forced off in the driver, but you mentioned enabling vsync.

Do you have two monitors connected? The program can only synchronize with one monitor and the other will tear.
03-03-2013, 02:24 PM (Last edited: 03-03-2013, 03:03 PM by cockroachlurcher)
(03-03-2013 02:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  It's not the monitor. Something is interfering with the program's ability to vsync. That can happen if vsync is forced off in the driver, but you mentioned enabling vsync.

Do you have two monitors connected? The program can only synchronize with one monitor and the other will tear.

to octagon: sorry, yes tempest, i thought 2b referred to the circuit board ( or technically that it was manufactured in February and the name stuck, but i digress Smile )
to toasty
I was running a tv through hdmi and an old vga ( both off/disconnected), but I unplugged both, deleted them from cru and reinstalled the driver, same problem Sad
although it may be my imagination, but it does seem like it might be a bit better, the
tearing seems to stabilise after about 10 secs without aero and on both aero and non aero there seem to be fewer blanks.
what seems weirdest is the fact that disabling aero makes it tear??
03-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I don't know. It might be an issue with the program.

If the mouse cursor doesn't skip with a 1000/500 Hz mouse, then the monitor is not skipping frames.
03-03-2013, 09:10 PM
(03-03-2013 08:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't know. It might be an issue with the program.

If the mouse cursor doesn't skip with a 1000/500 Hz mouse, then the monitor is not skipping frames.

I'm not sure if I could tell properly if it was skipping only a few frames sorry Sad
that only really applied before i reinstalled the drivers
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
ok, I tried rolling back the drivers to 301- didn't help
one thing i did notice is that certain things make the screen go worse, either dropping more frames or tearing more
other programs being open or right clicking does this have any relevence?
03-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Have you installed the Tempest monitor driver? I have heard that it's necessary in order to force certain programs to accept the 120hz setting (could explain the tearing). Just a guess as I'm not on an modus NVIDIA card
03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
(03-04-2013 08:20 PM)Black Octagon Wrote:  Have you installed the Tempest monitor driver? I have heard that it's necessary in order to force certain programs to accept the 120hz setting (could explain the tearing). Just a guess as I'm not on an modus NVIDIA card

no....where is it?
do you have to have test mode enabled?
03-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Yes you do have to have test mode enabled.

Monitor driver is here: MonitorTests.com/Tempest.zip

Give it a try