Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-03-2024, 07:06 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-03-2024 12:26 AM)Nyaako Wrote:  Need help in getting modified VRR range to stick on a LG 27GR95QE-B with HDMI 2.1.

Modified VRR range from 48-240 to 85-240 in both "Range Limits" and "FreeSync range" because I'm trying to mitigate as much VRR flickering as I can using LFC.
When I game at 60-80fps+ and it shows VRR working with the refresh rate at 120Hz+ and such after using restart64.exe, but the issue is after I restart my entire PC and suddenly the VRR range is messed up and doesn't activate LFC at 60-80fps+ unless I limit the game to 57 fps or below (CRU still shows the modified VRR ranges at 85-240). Have to use reset-all.exe and re-configure the VRR range again.

For the record, this seems to be an issue when using HDMI 2.1 on my end. When I use DisplayPort, the modified VRR range works as intended even after restarting my PC. The reason why I'm not using DisplayPort is to avoid relying on DSC for 1440p 240Hz (and using HDR).
Why do you need to run reset-all.exe and reconfigure the VRR range? You should be able to just run restart.exe. If the VRR range works correctly after running restart.exe, then it's a graphics driver bug. Is this happening after restarting the PC or only after turning the PC off and back on? Issues that come up after turning the PC off and back on can usually be resolved by disabling fast startup: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1045548/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2024, 08:54 PM (Last edited: 05-03-2024, 09:09 PM by Nyaako)
(05-03-2024 07:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-03-2024 12:26 AM)Nyaako Wrote:  Need help in getting modified VRR range to stick on a LG 27GR95QE-B with HDMI 2.1.

Modified VRR range from 48-240 to 85-240 in both "Range Limits" and "FreeSync range" because I'm trying to mitigate as much VRR flickering as I can using LFC.
When I game at 60-80fps+ and it shows VRR working with the refresh rate at 120Hz+ and such after using restart64.exe, but the issue is after I restart my entire PC and suddenly the VRR range is messed up and doesn't activate LFC at 60-80fps+ unless I limit the game to 57 fps or below (CRU still shows the modified VRR ranges at 85-240). Have to use reset-all.exe and re-configure the VRR range again.

For the record, this seems to be an issue when using HDMI 2.1 on my end. When I use DisplayPort, the modified VRR range works as intended even after restarting my PC. The reason why I'm not using DisplayPort is to avoid relying on DSC for 1440p 240Hz (and using HDR).
Why do you need to run reset-all.exe and reconfigure the VRR range? You should be able to just run restart.exe. If the VRR range works correctly after running restart.exe, then it's a graphics driver bug. Is this happening after restarting the PC or only after turning the PC off and back on? Issues that come up after turning the PC off and back on can usually be resolved by disabling fast startup: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1045548/
I guess it was confusing to read. But yes, after setting the custom VRR range (85-240) I ran restart.exe and LFC worked as intended. However, it was after I restarted or turn off/on my PC (not restart.exe) that the custom VRR range bugged out and for some reason LFC only activated when it's 57 fps or below. I open up CRU and see that the 85-240 is saved and such. That's when I have to use reset-all.exe to reset and re-configure the custom VRR range to 85-240 and using restart.exe to make it work again. Of course, it still breaks again when I restart or turn off/on my PC.

Fast startup has already been disabled.

Again, this issue seems to only be happening when I use HDMI 2.1. This doesn't happen when I use DP 1.4.
05-04-2024, 12:18 AM
(05-03-2024 08:54 PM)Nyaako Wrote:  I guess it was confusing to read. But yes, after setting the custom VRR range (85-240) I ran restart.exe and LFC worked as intended. However, it was after I restarted or turn off/on my PC (not restart.exe) that the custom VRR range bugged out and for some reason LFC only activated when it's 57 fps or below. I open up CRU and see that the 85-240 is saved and such. That's when I have to use reset-all.exe to reset and re-configure the custom VRR range to 85-240 and using restart.exe to make it work again. Of course, it still breaks again when I restart or turn off/on my PC.
I'm asking what's the point of running reset-all.exe and reconfiguring the VRR range? All that does is put what you already had. Why not just run restart.exe after restarting the PC? If doing that works around the problem, then it's a graphics driver bug.
05-04-2024, 01:02 AM
(05-04-2024 12:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-03-2024 08:54 PM)Nyaako Wrote:  I guess it was confusing to read. But yes, after setting the custom VRR range (85-240) I ran restart.exe and LFC worked as intended. However, it was after I restarted or turn off/on my PC (not restart.exe) that the custom VRR range bugged out and for some reason LFC only activated when it's 57 fps or below. I open up CRU and see that the 85-240 is saved and such. That's when I have to use reset-all.exe to reset and re-configure the custom VRR range to 85-240 and using restart.exe to make it work again. Of course, it still breaks again when I restart or turn off/on my PC.
I'm asking what's the point of running reset-all.exe and reconfiguring the VRR range? All that does is put what you already had. Why not just run restart.exe after restarting the PC? If doing that works around the problem, then it's a graphics driver bug.
Oh, I tried using restart.exe after my PC restarted and still doesn't work. So I guess it's a graphics driver bug for HDMI 2.1 on the LG 27GR95QE-B.
05-04-2024, 05:41 PM (Last edited: 05-04-2024, 05:42 PM by letsgototesco)
hi i was just wondering does CRU not support 8k resolution? besides trying to run a 8k resolution on both a 1080x1920 monitor and a 4k monitor i also tried a virtual monitor which also doesn't do 8k CRU just colours the 8k resolution red in custom resolution
05-04-2024, 07:20 PM
(05-04-2024 05:41 PM)letsgototesco Wrote:  hi i was just wondering does CRU not support 8k resolution? besides trying to run a 8k resolution on both a 1080x1920 monitor and a 4k monitor i also tried a virtual monitor which also doesn't do 8k CRU just colours the 8k resolution red in custom resolution
CRU does support 8K.
05-05-2024, 12:31 PM (Last edited: 05-05-2024, 12:43 PM by Skyy)
First of all thanks for the great work on CRU!

I'm trying to solve a problem with CRU but I can't get it to work at all. My system is running Windows 11 and I previously used CRU to remove that 4096 resolution from my LG TV so I do know CRU works fine in general but I ran against a wall for my current setup.

My GPU is a RTX 4070 and I have one 4k 160hz monitor connected via DP @ 150% scaling and a second 1080p 60hz monitor with a DP to HDMI cable @ 100% scaling, HDMI on the monitor end. I'm trying to get the 1080p 60hz monitor to run at 4k 60hz. No matter what I do to that monitor in CRU and how many times I run restart.exe or reboot my PC the highest resolution Windows will show is 1920x1080 (Recommended) for that display.

I tried adding a 4k detailed resolution, I tried adding a 4k HDMI resolution and also a 4k TV resolution with CRU, nothing worked. Then I tried to edit the present 1080p resolution but no dice, Windows doesn't see the 4k resolution at all, can someone help me out here?

[Image: i6xqvWf.png]

[Image: 8Xj1cwQ.png]

A little background on why I want to do this with CRU.

My 4k 160hz monitor disconnects from Windows as soon as I switch the source on it to something else causing everything to be moved over to my 1080p monitor. Since the resolution and scaling differs greatly all windows and programs look messed up even when the 4k monitor gets reenabled and everything moves back.

First I used the Nvidia Control Panel to add a 4k resolution to the 1080p monitor and then set it to 150% scaling also which worked liked a charm. Since both monitors now ran the same resolution and scaling everything could freely move between either and nothing gets resized or messed up. However upon enabling the Custom Resolution option in the Nvidia Control Panel my primary 4k 160hz monitor loses all G-Sync capabilities.

That's why I want to work around that and set 4k on a driver/EDID level for the 1080p monitor.

Thanks for any help in advance!
05-06-2024, 03:38 PM
(05-05-2024 12:31 PM)Skyy Wrote:  My GPU is a RTX 4070 and I have one 4k 160hz monitor connected via DP @ 150% scaling and a second 1080p 60hz monitor with a DP to HDMI cable @ 100% scaling, HDMI on the monitor end. I'm trying to get the 1080p 60hz monitor to run at 4k 60hz. No matter what I do to that monitor in CRU and how many times I run restart.exe or reboot my PC the highest resolution Windows will show is 1920x1080 (Recommended) for that display.

I tried adding a 4k detailed resolution, I tried adding a 4k HDMI resolution and also a 4k TV resolution with CRU, nothing worked. Then I tried to edit the present 1080p resolution but no dice, Windows doesn't see the 4k resolution at all, can someone help me out here?
The first post describes the pixel clock limits you're encountering, and chances are a 1080p monitor will not accept UHD 4K anyway. You should enable DSR for the 1080p monitor in the NVIDIA control panel if you want virtual UHD 4K.
05-06-2024, 06:15 PM
(05-04-2024 07:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-04-2024 05:41 PM)letsgototesco Wrote:  hi i was just wondering does CRU not support 8k resolution? besides trying to run a 8k resolution on both a 1080x1920 monitor and a 4k monitor i also tried a virtual monitor which also doesn't do 8k CRU just colours the 8k resolution red in custom resolution
CRU does support 8K.

oh thanks for response i havent had any luck getting it to do 8k resolution it turns red and greys out the Ok

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-06-2024, 07:38 PM
(05-06-2024 06:15 PM)letsgototesco Wrote:  oh thanks for response i havent had any luck getting it to do 8k resolution it turns red and greys out the Ok
You should really read the first post, and there's no way your monitors will accept 8K anyway.