|
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
|
|
08-31-2026, 06:53 PM
Post: #9571
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-31-2026 05:01 PM)true39 Wrote: I have an RTX 4090; I was able to remove the resolution on my LG C5 using this same card, but it doesn't work with the G6. I’ve attached a file and would appreciate your help or an explanation of why this is happening. Thanks.I already explained what's happening: (08-31-2026 01:12 AM)ToastyX Wrote: That's probably the DSC single-head limit issue mentioned in the first post. Also when that happens, DSR wouldn't be available anyway unless you disable using multiple heads or disable DSC in the TV, which would remove 165 Hz.Here is the issue in the first post: NVIDIA and DSC - ToastyX Wrote:NVIDIA's driver currently ignores EDID overrides if Display Stream Compression (DSC) is active and the maximum resolution @ refresh rate combination exceeds the GPU's single-head pixel clock limit:3840x2160 @ 165 Hz is beyond the single-head limit for 4000-series GPUs. The registry workaround will work but it will disable 165 Hz. 144 Hz is still within the limit. |
|||
|
08-31-2026, 08:01 PM
Post: #9572
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-31-2026 06:53 PM)ToastyX Wrote:Thanks a lot for the reply—it turns out it's all so complicated. It’s not exactly what you expect when you simply change your TV. =)(08-31-2026 05:01 PM)true39 Wrote: I have an RTX 4090; I was able to remove the resolution on my LG C5 using this same card, but it doesn't work with the G6. I’ve attached a file and would appreciate your help or an explanation of why this is happening. Thanks.I already explained what's happening: |
|||
|
10-01-2026, 09:19 PM
Post: #9573
|
|||
|
|||
|
KTC H27E6 - Windows reports VRR Not Supported despite valid FreeSync range block in C
System specs:
GPU: RTX 5070 Monitor: KTC H27E6 Connection: Using DisplayPort 2.1 cable CRU Version 1.5.3 Windows 11 Nvidia Studio Driver version 616.92 Monitor has a factory FreeSync range data block (48-255 Hz) in its CTA-861 extension block. Nvidia App shows G-SYNC: Not available for this display. Windows Settings > Advanced Display shows Variable Refresh Rate: Not Supported for this display, even on the correct DisplayPort connection at native 2560x1440 300Hz. Already tried:
None of these changed the 'Not Supported' status in Windows |
|||
|
10-01-2026, 10:51 PM
Post: #9574
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-01-2026 09:19 PM)newneonnew Wrote: System specs:NVIDIA doesn't read the FreeSync data block, but it does support adaptive sync, which gets the refresh rate range from the range limits descriptor. It would be unusual for a DisplayPort monitor that supports FreeSync to not support adaptive sync. Is the range limits descriptor shown in the detailed resolution list in the main window? |
|||
|
10-02-2026, 05:58 PM
Post: #9575
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-01-2026 10:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:(10-01-2026 09:19 PM)newneonnew Wrote: System specs:NVIDIA doesn't read the FreeSync data block, but it does support adaptive sync, which gets the refresh rate range from the range limits descriptor. It would be unusual for a DisplayPort monitor that supports FreeSync to not support adaptive sync. Is the range limits descriptor shown in the detailed resolution list in the main window? Yes, the range limits descriptor already exists with 48-300Hz. Saved via CRU, ran restart64.exe, full reboot — Windows Advanced Display still shows 'Variable Refresh Rate: Not Supported' and Nvidia App still shows G-SYNC as unavailable. Given the range limits are present and correctly formed, is there something else in the EDID that could be blocking Windows/Nvidia from recognizing adaptive sync support? Could the leftover FreeSync data block (48-255Hz) in the CTA extension be conflicting with this range limits descriptor rather than being redundant? I would send a screenshot of the CRU menu but I don't know how to attach it to this message. |
|||
|
10-02-2026, 07:12 PM
(Last edited: 10-02-2026, 07:17 PM by ToastyX)
Post: #9576
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-02-2026 05:58 PM)newneonnew Wrote: Yes, the range limits descriptor already exists with 48-300Hz. Saved via CRU, ran restart64.exe, full reboot — Windows Advanced Display still shows 'Variable Refresh Rate: Not Supported' and Nvidia App still shows G-SYNC as unavailable. Given the range limits are present and correctly formed, is there something else in the EDID that could be blocking Windows/Nvidia from recognizing adaptive sync support? Could the leftover FreeSync data block (48-255Hz) in the CTA extension be conflicting with this range limits descriptor rather than being redundant? I would send a screenshot of the CRU menu but I don't know how to attach it to this message.NVIDIA ignores the FreeSync data block so it won't conflict. I'm more interested in where it's saying "G-SYNC: Not available for this display." I'd run reset-all.exe and reboot first because it should work out of the box without changing anything in CRU. Then in the NVIDIA control panel, do you see Display > Set up G-SYNC? You have to enable G-SYNC, select the correct display if there is more than one, check "Enable settings for the selected display model" and apply the changes. You can attach an image and click add attachment, then insert into post. |
|||
|
10-04-2026, 10:07 PM
Post: #9577
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-24-2026 10:41 PM)ToastyX Wrote:I've tried out CRU WIP and managed to finally modify the VRR range outside of the 2 predefined ranges. The predefined ranges are 70-165Hz and 25-60Hz. 70-165Hz blacks out below 60Hz when bypassed. Didn't yet break through 25Hz. What helped was either the G-SYNC or HDMI v2 Data Blocks.(08-22-2026 03:58 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: Hi,That's all there is to do. Your limitation will be the actual hardware and not anything in the EDID. Is it usual for a panel to have 2 ranges? Does it have an effect on overdrive or other things? The laptop specific issue of having "overdrive applied twice" is now yet again present. With the modified range LFC doesn't kick in at all, or well, I can't see when it does if it happens below 60Hz. And the lower range seems to kick in LFC when below 26Hz. Even if Windows control panel states that VRR is "Supported by driver", SpecialK recognizes it properly now and the panel uses the modified range. What does it mean for Windows and software, when Active signal mode and Desktop mode differ? |
|||
|
10-05-2026, 01:48 AM
(Last edited: 10-05-2026, 01:49 AM by ToastyX)
Post: #9578
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-04-2026 10:07 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: I've tried out CRU WIP and managed to finally modify the VRR range outside of the 2 predefined ranges. The predefined ranges are 70-165Hz and 25-60Hz. 70-165Hz blacks out below 60Hz when bypassed. Didn't yet break through 25Hz. What helped was either the G-SYNC or HDMI v2 Data Blocks.You mean two range limits descriptors? That's not common. There should only be one, and the driver would probably only listen to one of them. If HDMI VRR is defined in the HDMI v2 data block, that would take precedence on an HDMI connection, but that shouldn't have any effect on the laptop display. I'm not sure how NVIDIA would handle a G-SYNC block being present. (10-04-2026 10:07 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: With the modified range LFC doesn't kick in at all, or well, I can't see when it does if it happens below 60Hz. And the lower range seems to kick in LFC when below 26Hz.When the resolutions are different, it means the desktop resolution is being scaled to the active resolution. The refresh rates aren't supposed to be different. I don't even understand how that happens. |
|||
|
10-05-2026, 07:52 PM
Post: #9579
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-04-2026 10:07 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: Are there any tricks or other improvements I could do? Here's the original EDID. The panel is a device from China Star Optoelectronics Technology (CSOT), connected via the DisplayPort protocol, likely a 40-pin eDP connection with 4 lanes (HBR3). Adding HDMI VRR to the EDID should have no effect whatsoever. For DisplayPort "G-Sync Compatible" (=VESA AdaptiveSync) operation, the Nvidia driver only evaluates the range limits from the base block. According to your original EDID, the video timing for 165 Hz complies with the VESA CVT-RB standard. Therefore, it should be sufficient to adjust the range limits and add the 180 Hz mode (using CVT-RB timing) to the extension block. Please try the attached EDID. |
|||
|
Today, 06:56 PM
Post: #9580
|
|||
|
|||
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-05-2026 07:52 PM)MUC Wrote:(10-04-2026 10:07 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: Are there any tricks or other improvements I could do? Here's the original EDID. I did try it, and it did work. I believe this was the first time I saw it running on any other bit depth than 8, as it went down to 6. I do have 180Hz working with 8bit though, but thank you. Do you by any chance have a color profile for this panel? (10-05-2026 01:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:(10-04-2026 10:07 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: I've tried out CRU WIP and managed to finally modify the VRR range outside of the 2 predefined ranges. The predefined ranges are 70-165Hz and 25-60Hz. 70-165Hz blacks out below 60Hz when bypassed. Didn't yet break through 25Hz. What helped was either the G-SYNC or HDMI v2 Data Blocks.You mean two range limits descriptors? That's not common. There should only be one, and the driver would probably only listen to one of them. If HDMI VRR is defined in the HDMI v2 data block, that would take precedence on an HDMI connection, but that shouldn't have any effect on the laptop display. I'm not sure how NVIDIA would handle a G-SYNC block being present. It didn't have two by default. It only had the one in Edit tab. But I did experiment with the G-Sync entry and the HDMI VRR entries. The HDMI VRR entries, as expected, didn't show to have any effect. The G-Sync entry however did have an effect. Firstly it made Windows and SpecialK recognize G-Sync support above the native refresh rate and secondly it allowed me to skip LFC and go below the supported range of the hardware, as it blacked out below 60Hz. Then I experimented with combinations and in CRU WIP if I removed the Detailed resolution from Detailed resolutions and descriptors it'd still go out of range when below 60Hz. I might be wrong though, been a few days ago. (10-05-2026 01:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:(10-04-2026 10:07 PM)AssadFaszad Wrote: With the modified range LFC doesn't kick in at all, or well, I can't see when it does if it happens below 60Hz. And the lower range seems to kick in LFC when below 26Hz.When the resolutions are different, it means the desktop resolution is being scaled to the active resolution. The refresh rates aren't supposed to be different. I don't even understand how that happens. Me neither and didn't find much information on why and how. This happened when @60Hz with G-Sync and in-game with SpecialK I changed to 50Hz for example. Somehow this didn't do the usual change and did a very quick switch. DRR Tool did report 50Hz as well. Didn't do further tests. The only other scenario where I accomplished this was when I tried to run fractional (fixed) rates, like 168, 144, 120/1.001. The Active signal would be non-fractional while Desktop mode would report the fractional rate. In those cases I didn't do further test or validation either. This also has me curious why or how does 24/1.001 run but not higher multiples of it. Anyway I didn't keep the G-Sync or other additional VRR range entries as I didn't gain anything from them and only got some problems back (double overdrive, out of range when below 60Hz in very specific situations). If it's of any use, here's the last EDID with my schizoid experiments. It's got a Display Parameters entry from the EDID of the guy in a reply above. Don't know whether it does anything
|
|||
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|
User(s) browsing this thread: 139 Guest(s)



