Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-05-2024, 08:52 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(01-05-2024 06:44 PM)someone Wrote:  So the registry key that defines custom resolutions in the control panel is different? I tried to open CCC and I had to uninstall it because it didn't open (Windows 11 doesn't support Catalyst but when I had Windows 10 it worked the first time and afterwards it couldn't open)
They aren't the same at all. DALNonStandardModes applies to all displays on the GPU and doesn't let you specify timing parameters. Custom resolutions in AMD's control panel are specific to the monitor and let you specify timing parameters like detailed resolutions, and it also lets you specify the desktop resolution separately from the active resolution, but for some reason the control panel rejects downsampled resolutions even if the GPU can do it, so you'd have to create the custom resolution, find the value in the registry, and hex edit the desktop resolution part to be different from the active resolution. This is what people did many years ago before VSR was a feature, but the tutorials no longer work because the details have changed, and the helper utility they used no longer functions either. This method might still be possible, but you need to find a way to create a custom resolution first so it can create the registry value.

Old tutorials:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsa...on.366244/
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsa...on.404125/
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=2608

The last one has a screenshot that shows what the registry value looks like.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2024, 09:55 PM (Last edited: 01-06-2024, 04:23 AM by someone)
(01-05-2024 08:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 06:44 PM)someone Wrote:  So the registry key that defines custom resolutions in the control panel is different? I tried to open CCC and I had to uninstall it because it didn't open (Windows 11 doesn't support Catalyst but when I had Windows 10 it worked the first time and afterwards it couldn't open)
They aren't the same at all. DALNonStandardModes applies to all displays on the GPU and doesn't let you specify timing parameters. Custom resolutions in AMD's control panel are specific to the monitor and let you specify timing parameters like detailed resolutions, and it also lets you specify the desktop resolution separately from the active resolution, but for some reason the control panel rejects downsampled resolutions even if the GPU can do it, so you'd have to create the custom resolution, find the value in the registry, and hex edit the desktop resolution part to be different from the active resolution. This is what people did many years ago before VSR was a feature, but the tutorials no longer work because the details have changed, and the helper utility they used no longer functions either. This method might still be possible, but you need to find a way to create a custom resolution first so it can create the registry value.

Old tutorials:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsa...on.366244/
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsa...on.404125/
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=2608

The last one has a screenshot that shows what the registry value looks like.

Firstly, I don't have crimson. In CCC you can also create custom resolutions but you need to set advanced view.
Secondly, the user of the first tutorial had 1920x1200 as native which has the same aspect ratio as 2560x1600. That's NOT where my concern lies in.
Thirdly, I don't have the ModeTimingOverrides value and the EDID key is not in Common, is it because I have no custom resolutions created in AMD's control panel? (I don't have AMD control panels yet but I know it's not possible with Adrenalin in laptops)
Fourthly, there is no need to create a custom resolution in AMD's control panel to create the registry value, however it would be very hard.
01-06-2024, 10:53 PM
(01-05-2024 03:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 09:48 AM)WJUI Wrote:  Unfortunately my second monitor is no longer detected by my PC.

I used CRU to make a custom resolution for my 24" side monitor to go with my 27" main monitor for sim racing. I then set the 1080p monitor to go to 2343x1152 or so, so that I could use my 27" monitor at 1440p instead of 1080p. It worked, I played my game. Didn't know if the resolution was actually working correctly so was gonna go back and test it with other resolutions.

Then when I tried to get back on again it just showed a black screen on the side monitor. Soon after the monitor disappeared from my PC display settings, and detecting yields nothing.

To try to fix it, I used reset.all, restart.exe, restarted my computer. I pressed delete on the CRU UI because I heard that was a way to reset the settings for the monitor, now the monitor isn't on CRU anymore (before it was still on there with a * even though it wasn't detected by PC anymore).

I'm using an HDMI 2.1, Never had a problem before--I just plug it in and the monitor works right away. Didn't do anything except use CRU. (Mentioning because people were saying it's probably the HDMI cable, an issue with the monitor, etc.)

I searched for this and found a few discussions but no concrete solutions. Anybody know what to do?

I guess the GPU had an issue when making the 1080p monitor run at the weird and above-max resolution, but beyond that I don't know what it is or what to do to fix it. Isa clean install of graphics card drivers likely to fix it? Unfortunately I'm confused on how exactly to do that in my short time researching it so far

Edit: I have an Intel Arc a750 in the PC
Usually when a monitor isn't detected, it's an issue with the monitor or the connection to the monitor, but I don't know if Intel's driver has some bug that could also cause this.

Maybe the driver failed to enable after running restart.exe, which could cause the second screen to be ignored. Check Device Manager under "Display adapters" and make sure the Intel GPU is enabled.

If the GPU is enabled, try unplugging the monitor's power for a minute to "reboot" the monitor just in case it's a firmware glitch.

If that doesn't work, uninstall the graphics driver using DDU with Windows in safe mode: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

Then reinstall the Intel graphics driver. If that doesn't help, check if the monitor works by itself without the other monitor. If it still won't work, then something might be wrong with the monitor itself. Custom resolutions normally wouldn't damage a monitor like this, so I'm not sure what could have happened.

Awesome. I unplugged it for a day. Then tried it out without the other monitor and it works. Thanks Toasty
01-07-2024, 08:50 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) - Hoping CRU can solve flickering
Hello,

I've got a 55" TCL 5 Series/S555 4K TV that I'm using with a Nvidia RTX 3070 FE Windows 11 PC and getting random bursts of 3-5 what I would call "flickers" (screen blanking out very quickly) every 40-60 min or so. I have tried various length/specs of HDMI cable, turning off HDR and switching to 4:2:2/4:2:0 color profiles in Nvidia Control Panel in an attempt to reduce bandwidth with no luck, and wondering if CRU can help but I don't know where to start. I did a search on the forum before posting and couldn't find anything specific enough for what I feel I'm encountering, so hoping to find help here. I don't have a lot of experience with CRU and I'm still learning about recent display technologies. FWIW, I also have a PS3 and PS4 Pro connected to this TV which do not appear to have this issue. A couple (very uneducated) thoughts:
  • Some newer 4K/60Hz TVs like mine have advertised having HDMI 2.1 ports, but do not actually support HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. Could this be a conflict between the port's actual capability and what the Nvidia driver sees? As a shot in the dark, I tried using CRU to edit the "HDMI 2.0 support" data block to specify both "FRL rate" settings to 18 Gbps but that didn't appear to work. (The data block's name also changed to "HDMI 2.1 support" after so that may have defeated my theory anyway.) I have since reset CRU and completely reinstalled video drivers with DDU just in case.
  • If not bandwidth-related, could setting a custom resolution perhaps solve this issue? My TestUFO "Exact" Refresh Rate Test results in 60.002 Hz, I'm not sure if that means anything.
I'm not attempting to enable FreeSync/Gsync or anything (VRR is set to "off" in the TV's input settings), just trying to play games at 4K/60Hz with HDR, which I know is at the limits of what the TV is capable of, but as I've said this is happening even when displaying with HDR off, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 color. I read something in another post suggesting to disconnect any other displays, so I also disconnected my DVI monitor at my desk with no success.

I may be completely off base, so any suggestions from the CRU community would be greatly appreciated, as I'm about to go back to my old 1080p Samsung TV where I've never had an issue! Thanks all Sad
01-09-2024, 02:26 PM
(01-07-2024 08:50 PM)Paranoid_Andr01d Wrote:  I've got a 55" TCL 5 Series/S555 4K TV that I'm using with a Nvidia RTX 3070 FE Windows 11 PC and getting random bursts of 3-5 what I would call "flickers" (screen blanking out very quickly) every 40-60 min or so. I have tried various length/specs of HDMI cable, turning off HDR and switching to 4:2:2/4:2:0 color profiles in Nvidia Control Panel in an attempt to reduce bandwidth with no luck, and wondering if CRU can help but I don't know where to start.
Usually flickers like that indicate a signal quality issue, but if you've tried different cables, then either something is wrong with the TV or the port on the GPU, or some program running on your PC is causing this.
01-09-2024, 05:42 PM
(01-02-2024 04:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-02-2024 03:22 PM)Cluthy Wrote:  i have a problem with the cru reset all.exe, after i press it and restart my pc, my normal nativ res only goes to 100hz instead of 144, and i cant find any fixes on it, so if i could get some guidens it would be nice Big Grin
Was 144 Hz available before? Check the output color depth. Not all refresh rates might be available at 10/12 bpc.
i dm'ed u and i have now found out how to find the postes i have made on this platform, and yes 144hz is available, and i have the output color on the same as it always have been in the settings, and i have tried reset.exe and it still wont fix my issue
01-09-2024, 06:17 PM
(01-09-2024 05:42 PM)Cluthy Wrote:  
(01-02-2024 03:22 PM)Cluthy Wrote:  i have a problem with the cru reset all.exe, after i press it and restart my pc, my normal nativ res only goes to 100hz instead of 144, and i cant find any fixes on it, so if i could get some guidens it would be nice Big Grin
Was 144 Hz available before? Check the output color depth. Not all refresh rates might be available at 10/12 bpc.
i dm'ed u and i have now found out how to find the postes i have made on this platform, and yes 144hz is available, and i have the output color on the same as it always have been in the settings, and i have tried reset.exe and it still wont fix my issue
reset.exe doesn't exist. did you mean reset-all.exe or restart.exe?
01-09-2024, 07:50 PM
Hey guys, I've asked everywhere else, but I forgot that this place is the best place to ask any questions regarding resolutions and etc.

I've just snagged a used LG B7 Oled in great condition, no retention or burn in. Just a tiny amount of pixels in the corner that fade to black once it heats up, which is probably an overheating issue that I could solve by taking the shell and getting a some fans or something.

So anyways, it's HDMI 2.0 only. I'm wondering what useful I can do with it.
I want to get 1440p/120hz, but when I enabled it through Nvidia panel HDR doesn't work properly, screen is overblown, darks are gray and I think it's stuck at only 8bit rgb.

What would be the best resolutions, colour depth and format for an OLED?
And how do I even change colour depth and format in CRU?
01-10-2024, 08:17 AM
(01-09-2024 06:17 PM)someone Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 05:42 PM)Cluthy Wrote:  
reset.exe doesn't exist. did you mean reset-all.exe or restart.exe?
i meant restart.exe
01-10-2024, 05:43 PM
(01-09-2024 07:50 PM)Artasdmc Wrote:  Hey guys, I've asked everywhere else, but I forgot that this place is the best place to ask any questions regarding resolutions and etc.

I've just snagged a used LG B7 Oled in great condition, no retention or burn in. Just a tiny amount of pixels in the corner that fade to black once it heats up, which is probably an overheating issue that I could solve by taking the shell and getting a some fans or something.

So anyways, it's HDMI 2.0 only. I'm wondering what useful I can do with it.
I want to get 1440p/120hz, but when I enabled it through Nvidia panel HDR doesn't work properly, screen is overblown, darks are gray and I think it's stuck at only 8bit rgb.

What would be the best resolutions, colour depth and format for an OLED?
And how do I even change colour depth and format in CRU?
NVIDIA control panel custom resolutions are always RGB. You can try adding 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz with CRU and see if you get a different result. Color depth and formats are defined in the HDMI data blocks, but they are not resolution-specific except for 4:2:0, so you shouldn't need to change anything related to color formats in CRU.