Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
10-14-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
hey guys,

today I just got my new XL2720T and was quite eager to try Lightboost.
Unfortunately I can not switch off lightboost via shortcut "ctrl alt -" In fact, nothing happens and the green light for nvidia vision keeps on shining. Even if I try to turn off lightboost via the menu it doesn't work.
I tried to reset the settings, added new strobed and not strobed refresh rates, updated the nvidia driver, etc. - nothing worked so far.

what I find confusing is the fact that I only can choose refresh rates (not strobed) which do not match exactly the monitor's specs, like 121Hz, 101Hz.

So, any hint on that?

thx in advance
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2013, 03:20 PM
(10-14-2013 10:13 AM)LaUs3r Wrote:  Unfortunately I can not switch off lightboost via shortcut "ctrl alt -" In fact, nothing happens and the green light for nvidia vision keeps on shining. Even if I try to turn off lightboost via the menu it doesn't work.
Is the option grayed out in the menu?
Find all posts by this user
10-14-2013, 03:36 PM
(10-14-2013 03:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 10:13 AM)LaUs3r Wrote:  Unfortunately I can not switch off lightboost via shortcut "ctrl alt -" In fact, nothing happens and the green light for nvidia vision keeps on shining. Even if I try to turn off lightboost via the menu it doesn't work.
Is the option grayed out in the menu?

yes, it was in the beginning, but after installing again some refresh rates it's not grayed out anymore
10-14-2013, 04:26 PM
You're describing two different things. Which is happening under what circumstances? What happens when you install the default "120 Hz (strobed)" and "121 Hz" refresh rates?

If "Strobing off" is grayed out, that means there aren't any non-strobed refresh rates available to the program. If you did have a non-strobed refresh rate installed, then something is preventing the installed refresh rates from working.

If it's not grayed out, what happens when you choose it? Does the screen black out like it's changing resolutions or does nothing happen at all? If nothing happens, that's really weird.

First, make sure GeForce Experience is not installed. GeForce Experience is known to trigger a bug in the NVIDIA driver that can cause problems with installed refresh rates. Samsung Magician also triggers the same bug in the NVIDIA driver when it scans for hardware on startup. There might be other programs that trigger the same problem.

Second, check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there are no mirror drivers or anything other than your video card. Mirror drivers create virtual devices that can interfere with installed refresh rates.

After doing that, are the installed refresh rates available in both the NVIDIA control panel and the Windows screen resolution settings? If so, does switching between 120 Hz and 121 Hz do anything?
10-14-2013, 04:52 PM
(10-14-2013 04:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  You're describing two different things. Which is happening under what circumstances? What happens when you install the default "120 Hz (strobed)" and "121 Hz" refresh rates?

If "Strobing off" is grayed out, that means there aren't any non-strobed refresh rates available to the program. If you did have a non-strobed refresh rate installed, then something is preventing the installed refresh rates from working.

If it's not grayed out, what happens when you choose it? Does the screen black out like it's changing resolutions or does nothing happen at all? If nothing happens, that's really weird.

First, make sure GeForce Experience is not installed. GeForce Experience is known to trigger a bug in the NVIDIA driver that can cause problems with installed refresh rates. Samsung Magician also triggers the same bug in the NVIDIA driver when it scans for hardware on startup. There might be other programs that trigger the same problem.

Second, check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there are no mirror drivers or anything other than your video card. Mirror drivers create virtual devices that can interfere with installed refresh rates.

After doing that, are the installed refresh rates available in both the NVIDIA control panel and the Windows screen resolution settings? If so, does switching between 120 Hz and 121 Hz do anything?

yeah, it worked...the hint with NVIDIA experience did the trick. thx very much Big Grin
10-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Hi everyone, I'm here with a potential bug...

I just bought the Asus VG248QE and I'm in love. I even grabbed another GTX 670 to SLI with. So far so good... Until I accidentally 'Installed' a 120 hz strobed refresh rate on my Dell U2412m, thinking it was the Asus. Now that monitor is unable to display its native resolution of 1920x1200, and is instead stuck at 1080p, just like the Asus.

I'm going to keep playing around and trying to fix the Dell.

Things done so far...

Disable SLI
'Install' just 60hz on the dell
Reinstall drivers from scratch
Install monitor driver for Dell

I'm about to pull my second card entirely to see if that has any effect at all.
10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I installed lightboost with my BenQ 2420T monitor and my Radeon 7970 Direct CU 2 TOP edition, and and first it didn't work, I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it 3-4 times and nothing happened, it said it was on but wasn't working (I'd change brightness level and monitor would just go black, and monitor said it was in regular display mode)

What did finally get it working is I unplugged the monitor from the DVI-D jack on the videocard, then plugged it back in, THEN the monitor switched to 3D mode

The picture is a ton darker, but I can live with it because now whenever anything moves its crystal clear

Anyways, that's how I got it working if anybody else with AMD is having issues, Also Windows 7 X64 version here with 13.10 Beta 2 drivers
10-15-2013, 02:50 PM
(10-15-2013 06:28 AM)PoWn3d_0704 Wrote:  I accidentally 'Installed' a 120 hz strobed refresh rate on my Dell U2412m, thinking it was the Asus. Now that monitor is unable to display its native resolution of 1920x1200, and is instead stuck at 1080p, just like the Asus.

All you need to do is reset the Dell. It's the first step in the uninstall procedure:

Quote:1. Run strobelight-setup.exe and choose "Reset this display" as the first refresh rate.

I will make that a checkbox in the next version to make it more clear.
10-15-2013, 08:50 PM (Last edited: 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM by mdrejhon)
(10-03-2013 01:24 PM)HellionGR Wrote:  Nah happened as i thought ToastyX.When i reboot the overrides are gone.Im stuck at non strobbed mode.The nvidia control panel><change Resolution>refresh rate 60,85,100,120,144 all non strobed
Problem is by customize i cant add custom refresh rate ----create custom resolution is greyed out
Hello HellionGR,
As you're a surround user, can you do us a favour, and help nVidia here; this is a thread about problems with surround 120Hz lightboost:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...ati-help-/

Check into this thread and follow up; this is very important.
nVidia Forum Thread: Report Triple 120Hz Surround LightBoost Bugs Here

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com
10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the VG248QE and I have dual 780's in the Alienware 18.

I'm using the following apple adapter coupled with the Dual-Link DVI cable that came with the VG248QE to connect do the new display,
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z...r?fnode=51

However, strobe light is unable to detect compatible displays with this setup. I was told that I needed an "active" adapter and that this apple one would work fine for what I'm trying to do. That sadly, is not the case.

Upon further reading I found that the problem was my Apple adapter doesn't send a DDC signal (as seen in softMCCS).. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN -> I'm not convinced it is incompatible because I found a trick to enable it:

Swap the adapter with this when opening strobelight, then switch back to my apple adapter and viola! Lightboost works! Is this a bug, or do I really need to buy ANOTHER adapter? Thanks for all your hard work also Smile

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814998050

Does anyone know of a mini-dp to dual link DVI adapter that will 100% for sure work with this? Or are there other bugs blocking my setup?

Thanks!
sb