Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-28-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-28-2023 03:16 PM)windenchanter Wrote:  Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
I will look into the debugging options. Its great to know that windows 11 will not accept override when monitor is not supplying valid EDID. I know understand it's just an issue with the monitor or HDMI cable.
I used Nvidia control panel to set custom resolution, its working but since the real resolution is still 1024x768, it's just a bit blurry. I think that works for me for office work for now, but if I will also try a new HDMI cable to see if that is the problem (the two cables I swapped and tried already are both old cables)
NVIDIA control panel custom resolutions should not be blurry. You're doing something wrong. The real resolution should not be 1024x768 unless you set it that way. You need to set the active pixels to the resolution you want, not just the display mode.

If you already tried two cables, then the cable is not the problem. HDMI cables usually don't break that way even if they are old, so the monitor probably has a corrupted EDID. If you are using the HDMI port on the monitor, the easiest option would be to try using the DVI port on the monitor with an HDMI-DVI cable/adapter because the DVI port might have a different EDID that's not corrupted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2023, 05:26 PM
Thank you!
You are correct! I tried another HDMI cable, it's still the same issue.
Then I switched to DVI with an HDMI to DVI adapter (I took from another computer), and it started to work again and my computer actually knows the monitor's name.

(09-28-2023 03:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-28-2023 03:16 PM)windenchanter Wrote:  Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
I will look into the debugging options. Its great to know that windows 11 will not accept override when monitor is not supplying valid EDID. I know understand it's just an issue with the monitor or HDMI cable.
I used Nvidia control panel to set custom resolution, its working but since the real resolution is still 1024x768, it's just a bit blurry. I think that works for me for office work for now, but if I will also try a new HDMI cable to see if that is the problem (the two cables I swapped and tried already are both old cables)
NVIDIA control panel custom resolutions should not be blurry. You're doing something wrong. The real resolution should not be 1024x768 unless you set it that way. You need to set the active pixels to the resolution you want, not just the display mode.

If you already tried two cables, then the cable is not the problem. HDMI cables usually don't break that way even if they are old, so the monitor probably has a corrupted EDID. If you are using the HDMI port on the monitor, the easiest option would be to try using the DVI port on the monitor with an HDMI-DVI cable/adapter because the DVI port might have a different EDID that's not corrupted.
09-28-2023, 10:43 PM
(09-28-2023 04:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-26-2023 05:53 PM)Drew707 Wrote:  Hey, Toasty; thank you so much for this utility. I had no idea it existed and was pulling my hair out until SurfaceDockGuy on Reddit sent me your way.

I have a Surface Book 2 13" i7/1050 (3000x2000@59), an LG 2560x1440 I've dropped to 30, and an LG 2560x2880 that I was previously able to drop to 30 so I could run all three monitors, but something happened a couple weekends ago, and now I cannot get it to save 2560x2880@30. CRU says a restart is required, but I have restarted multiple times to no avail. The highest resolution available in settings is 2560x2048@59. This was working for many weeks before whatever happened happened. Running 11 Pro, 22H2, Build 22621.2283.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.
How did you drop it to 30 Hz before? CRU often has no effect on laptop screens with Intel GPUs because of driver restrictions. If something changed that used to work before, then Windows probably updated the driver to a newer version automatically, and the newer driver either has a bug or some new restriction that's preventing you from getting the correct resolutions. You should probably report this to Intel support.

Sorry for the confusion. I've left the laptop screen as it was. It was the two LG externals (2560x1440 and 2560x2880) that I dropped to 30 via CRU. They were working fine on a Friday, and then the custom resolution for the 2880 screen disappeared on Monday.
09-29-2023, 10:45 AM (Last edited: 09-29-2023, 11:25 AM by Dinkles)
(09-28-2023 04:36 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-26-2023 08:12 AM)Dinkles Wrote:  Thanks toasty,
I’ll run this after work and post the results shortly.

Will it assist much though if we are unable to set native res above 4095?

If the nVidia driver is picking it up wrong, can we amended that so the driver/card/monitor recognise the “actual” recommended resolution of 5120 as its honestly so frustrating having the monitor reset every time I switch to my other monitor and not being able to use things like scaling etc as they all try to scale to the incorrect “recommended” resolution.

You’d think nVidia/Microsoft and AOC could get the basics.

I’ll run this asap and post the results..
I just want to see if the monitor is defining the correct native resolution or if it's an NVIDIA driver issue. It's possible to make the native resolution higher with CRU if you delete all the other resolutions, which includes anything in extension blocks and data blocks.

Hey,
Thanks for checking this for me, here is the attached test file as requested, and a screenshot of the NCP showing that the "recommended" resolution vs the actual native resolution.

The monitor is connected via DP and i have tried both DP1/DP2 neither of which make a difference.

I am using a very expensive DP cable capable of DP2.0 8k VESA certified etc.

The monitor works fine, but if i switch to my 4k TV it defaults back to the "recommended" resolution when return and scaling in games simply scales to the incorrect resolution.

Anything you can do to help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Edit:
Here is a link to the driver for the monitor i am using and you can see the specs are 5120x1440@120 hz etc.
https://aoc.com/uk/gaming/products/monit.../downloads

I am also using an nVidia RTX 3080 with driver version 537.34 but its been like this through multiple driver revisions.

The generic monitor in the pic attached is my 4k LG TV. Removing this from the menu and/or disabling it and/or removing the HDMI etc does not change the behavior.

Edit 2:
I noticed in the specs that the monitor supports "DP ALT Mode"
**USB-C 3.2 x 1 (DP alt mode, upstream, power delivery up to 65 W)**

Could it be that the monitor is reporting the maximum resolution supported by DP ALT Mode (DP over USB-C) even though i am not using USB-C / DP ALT Mode or DP over USB-C etc?
https://aoc.com/uk/gaming/products/monit...cification

If so could this be removed from the monitor/driver etc as its not something i would ever use anyway?

Edit 3:
I read this (about the v2 of this monitor)
https://totalgamingaddicts.com/aoc-agon-...x2-review/
https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-ag493ucx2-review/

Which states interestingly that the max resolution supported on the AG493UCX using DP ALT Mode (DP over USB-C) is 3840x1080 however this has been increased on the v2 model to 5120x1440 but at a reduced refresh rate.

Again, as i don't use DP ALT Mode or DP Over USB-C or even the USB ports of the monitor at all, is there anyway we can get around this and stop it reporting the (which i now assume) DP ALT Mode resolution?

Edit4:
I have added an interesting screen grab from that site above, it does seem that its reporting the DP ALT Mode resolution as that's far to much of a coincidence?

Edit 5:
Here is the driver for the V2 version of this monitor of that is useful (for reference purposes).
https://aoc.com/api/frontberg/downloadab...Signed.zip

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  test.txt (Size: 18.62 KB / Downloads: 66)
09-29-2023, 02:14 PM
(09-29-2023 10:45 AM)Dinkles Wrote:  Thanks for checking this for me, here is the attached test file as requested, and a screenshot of the NCP showing that the "recommended" resolution vs the actual native resolution.

The monitor is connected via DP and i have tried both DP1/DP2 neither of which make a difference.

The monitor works fine, but if i switch to my 4k TV it defaults back to the "recommended" resolution when return and scaling in games simply scales to the incorrect resolution.

I checked the test.txt file and the monitor actually doesn't report the native resolution using any of the newer standards, so it's using the first detailed resolution as the native resolution, which has that 4095 limitation. None of the other stuff you mentioned is relevant to the problem. Did you try deleting all the other resolutions like I mentioned? That would leave 5120x1440 as the only option and should make it the recommended resolution in Windows.
09-29-2023, 02:45 PM
(09-29-2023 02:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-29-2023 10:45 AM)Dinkles Wrote:  Thanks for checking this for me, here is the attached test file as requested, and a screenshot of the NCP showing that the "recommended" resolution vs the actual native resolution.

I checked the test.txt file and the monitor actually doesn't report the native resolution using any of the newer standards, so it's using the first detailed resolution as the native resolution, which has that 4095 limitation. None of the other stuff you mentioned is relevant to the problem. Did you try deleting all the other resolutions like I mentioned? That would leave 5120x1440 as the only option and should make it the recommended resolution in Windows.

Ahh that’s a shame, why would they build the monitor this way, it’s a new monitor with modern standards (connectors/aspect etc) why would they allow it to register the wrong native res?

I’ve no tried removing them all yet, what would be the bedt way to approach this and remove all resolutions. which fields etc. are safe to remove etc?

Under TV resolutions for example, 5120 isn’t present?
Under displayID 1.3 the only resolution present is 5120 with multiple HZ?
Under standard resolutions 5120 isn’t present?
Under detailed resolutions 5120 isn’t present?

I can drop sone screens of that helps?
09-29-2023, 03:34 PM
(09-29-2023 02:45 PM)Dinkles Wrote:  Ahh that’s a shame, why would they build the monitor this way, it’s a new monitor with modern standards (connectors/aspect etc) why would they allow it to register the wrong native res?

I’ve no tried removing them all yet, what would be the bedt way to approach this and remove all resolutions. which fields etc. are safe to remove etc?

Delete all detailed, standard, established resolutions in the main window. In the CTA-861 extension block, delete all detailed resolutions and the TV resolutions data block. That should leave you with only the resolutions in the DisplayID 1.3 extension block.

DisplayID is a standard meant to replace EDID, but adoption has been slow because it's not backward compatible. The AG493UCX is 3.5 years old. Back then I only saw DisplayID being used as an EDID extension block to add higher resolutions and not much else. There should also be a display parameters data block to define the native resolution, which I planned to add to CRU, but when I tested it, the graphics drivers just ignored it. I'll have to revisit that and see if the data block has any effect now. Another issue is HDMI decided to stick with EDID and CTA-861, and CTA-861 has their own method of defining higher native resolutions, so now there are two competing standards that need to be implemented. Actually there are three standards because DisplayID 2.0 has a different format for the display parameters data block. I wanted to implement all this stuff for CRU 2.0, but it probably won't be out until next year because I'm doing a complete rewrite and redesign to better accommodate all these standards with an easier to use interface.
09-29-2023, 04:04 PM (Last edited: 09-29-2023, 05:27 PM by Dinkles)
(09-29-2023 03:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-29-2023 02:45 PM)Dinkles Wrote:  Ahh that’s a shame, why would they build the monitor this way, it’s a new monitor with modern standards (connectors/aspect etc) why would they allow it to register the wrong native res?

Delete all detailed, standard, established resolutions in the main window. In the CTA-861 extension block, delete all detailed resolutions and the TV resolutions data block. That should leave you with only the resolutions in the DisplayID 1.3 extension block.

DisplayID is a standard meant to replace EDID, but adoption has been slow because it's not backward compatible. The AG493UCX is 3.5 years old. Back then I only saw DisplayID being used as an EDID extension block to add higher resolutions and not much else. There should also be a display parameters data block to define the native resolution, which I planned to add to CRU, but when I tested it, the graphics drivers just ignored it. I'll have to revisit that and see if the data block has any effect now. Another issue is HDMI decided to stick with EDID and CTA-861, and CTA-861 has their own method of defining higher native resolutions, so now there are two competing standards that need to be implemented. Actually there are three standards because DisplayID 2.0 has a different format for the display parameters data block. I wanted to implement all this stuff for CRU 2.0, but it probably won't be out until next year because I'm doing a complete rewrite and redesign to better accommodate all these standards with an easier to use interface.

So i think i have done it correctly...
There was an extension of sorts in the bottom block, but i may have deleted the entire thing, i cant remember? I think it was a CTA-861 extension block but its gone now after i removed some data?

However, it still seems to have worked as the monitor now registers 5120 as its recommended res (as per screenshot) and NIS now shows BLUE which means i can use scaling/sharpening again! Fantastic!

However, should i reinstall the monitor, do it again and be more careful, as i may have removed something important from that data block in the extension block or is it all good?

Hopefully you can get 2.0 out with features to fix issues such as these for others, profiles etc for specific monitors etc. as this is a massive fix for me, it essentially fixes all scaling NIS/DLSS etc for me AND stops the monitor resetting every time i switch it off/on or disable and re enable it. Massive help and honestly allows me to use features i was previously unable to use again!

Also the monitor has an option to enable or disable DDC/CI is this of any relevance in this scenario?

Cheers Toasty

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-29-2023, 06:10 PM
(09-29-2023 04:04 PM)Dinkles Wrote:  So i think i have done it correctly...
There was an extension of sorts in the bottom block, but i may have deleted the entire thing, i cant remember? I think it was a CTA-861 extension block but its gone now after i removed some data?

However, it still seems to have worked as the monitor now registers 5120 as its recommended res (as per screenshot) and NIS now shows BLUE which means i can use scaling/sharpening again! Fantastic!

However, should i reinstall the monitor, do it again and be more careful, as i may have removed something important from that data block in the extension block or is it all good?

Hopefully you can get 2.0 out with features to fix issues such as these for others, profiles etc for specific monitors etc. as this is a massive fix for me, it essentially fixes all scaling NIS/DLSS etc for me AND stops the monitor resetting every time i switch it off/on or disable and re enable it. Massive help and honestly allows me to use features i was previously unable to use again!

Also the monitor has an option to enable or disable DDC/CI is this of any relevance in this scenario?

Cheers Toasty
The CTA-861 extension block had audio and HDR information in it, so deleting it would disable those features. If you don't use those features, then it doesn't matter. The CTA-861 extension block would be required for HDMI support, but for DisplayPort, it's not required. You can run reset-all.exe and restart to restore the original EDID if you want to edit it again.

DDC/CI allows programs to communicate with the monitor to control settings that are in the monitor's menus, so if you're not using any software for that, then it doesn't matter. Generally there's no need to disable it.
09-30-2023, 07:27 AM
Hello peeps hope for some help!

Got an Samsung g7 1440p. 240hz. When i Enter a lower res at 1600x1200 for cs i get 320hz and for 1770x990 360hz. Pasning ufo tests etc

Heres the Big problem. I love playing 4:3 stretched in cs. Buuuut here we go as soon as i go to amd driver enable gpu scaling to fill the screen it goes Down to 240hz… if i disable gpu scaling i Can run it at 360hz. But want it stretched. Is there a work around for this ???

5800x3d
7900xtx
B550 board
2x16 gig 3800c14