Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-25-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-22-2023 09:01 AM)Uaer Wrote:  What kind of equipment affects this? The model of my laptop is an517-52 c i5-10300h and GTX 1650
It depends entirely on what the panel's controller can handle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2023, 03:46 PM
(10-22-2023 10:52 PM)Stiff Wrote:  Any resolution and refresh rate above 165mhz pixel clock doesn't work on my 6600XT sadly, even after patching the driver (23.8.2) and making an Extension Block with 340mhz HDMI support. I'm using hdmi-dvi cable and my monitor is BenQ Gl2450.
What do you mean by doesn't work? Is the resolution and refresh rate not getting listed in the Windows display settings?
10-25-2023, 03:52 PM
(10-25-2023 03:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 03:26 PM)marksman Wrote:  Hello everyone,
I'm new here, so please excuse me if I'm bothering you unnecessarily... But I really need help - I need to achieve a screen resolution of approximately 8200x2200.
My computer has an RTX 3070 graphics card.
Is there a chance to achieve such a result, and how can I do it?
You need to be more specific. What are you trying to do and with what monitors and what connections?

To provide a more detailed explanation, the situation is approximately as follows - there is a computer without a physical monitor for remote connection. It has an adapter connected to simulate a 4K monitor. Right now, I am looking for options on how to transform this remote desktop into an 8200x2200 extension.

Thank you.
10-25-2023, 04:27 PM
(10-25-2023 03:52 PM)marksman Wrote:  To provide a more detailed explanation, the situation is approximately as follows - there is a computer without a physical monitor for remote connection. It has an adapter connected to simulate a 4K monitor. Right now, I am looking for options on how to transform this remote desktop into an 8200x2200 extension.
Is the adapter DisplayPort or HDMI? You should be able to add 8200x2200 in a DisplayID extension block, but the refresh rate has to be low enough so the pixel clock doesn't exceed the connection's limit, so for HDMI 2.0 that would be 600 MHz pixel clock (around 30 Hz), and for HDMI 1.4, that would be 340 MHz pixel clock (around 17 Hz). DisplayPort dummy adapters tend to be just single-link DVI, which would be 165 MHz pixel clock (around 8 Hz).
10-25-2023, 06:43 PM
(10-25-2023 04:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 03:52 PM)marksman Wrote:  To provide a more detailed explanation, the situation is approximately as follows - there is a computer without a physical monitor for remote connection. It has an adapter connected to simulate a 4K monitor. Right now, I am looking for options on how to transform this remote desktop into an 8200x2200 extension.
Is the adapter DisplayPort or HDMI? You should be able to add 8200x2200 in a DisplayID extension block, but the refresh rate has to be low enough so the pixel clock doesn't exceed the connection's limit, so for HDMI 2.0 that would be 600 MHz pixel clock (around 30 Hz), and for HDMI 1.4, that would be 340 MHz pixel clock (around 17 Hz). DisplayPort dummy adapters tend to be just single-link DVI, which would be 165 MHz pixel clock (around 8 Hz).

Adaptor is HDMI but i dont sure is it 2.0 or 1.4.. will try to check it.
10-26-2023, 01:27 PM (Last edited: 10-26-2023, 02:27 PM by Dinkles)
@Toasty

Ahh, I had encountered a slight issue.

So everything has been working perfectly, games have been up scaling correctly, DLSS working every has been a pure joy.

However, my graphics card drivers updated and now the monitor is not detected and will not function.

The monitor will now only work without the CRU edits?

I have performed a clean DDU of my drivers, removed the monitor drivers, I have tried everything I can think of, however as soon as I import the previously working profile, or simply remove the resolutions as performed previously, the monitor stops the PC booting into windows and the only way to resolve this, is to boot into safe mode, remove the driver and start again.

I have tried:
Installing nvidia driver, perming CRU instant, restart driver = fail
Installing nvidia driver, installing monitor driver, performing CRU = fail.
Installing monitor driver, installing nvidia driver, performing CRU = fail
Etc

It seems no matter what order I perform the task, as soon as restart after performing CRU the monitor simply stops windows from loading / crashes.

Of course everything was working perfectly on my older drivers, but now a new driver has been installed it failed to work.

I have the. Subsequently tried driver:

Still as soon as I import the previously working profile into CRU (or remove them manually) the monitor simply crashes the PC or stops it booting?

Could this be related to nvidia driver updates and incompatibility?
Is there something else I can try?

I’m gutted as I just loaded up HZD and it looks like sh*t again as the monitor thinks it’s native Rez is 3840x1440 and seems to scale to that resolution. Gutted.

If there is anything I can try please let me know, I’ll keep trying clean installs, more DDU, older drivers etc. but for now it seems that it’s incompatible with the new drivers from nvidia for some reason?

Edit:
So what I have found out so far is…
There is something funky happening with VRR

If I turn off VRR the installation works, CRU works, the monitor works.
But now as soon as I enable VRR (after previously applying CRU) the monitor crashes the PC? VRR works fine up until I make any changes in CRU?

So something inside of the CRU edits is causing the monitor to fail when in VRR mode?
10-26-2023, 03:01 PM (Last edited: 10-26-2023, 03:05 PM by Stiff)
(10-25-2023 03:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-22-2023 10:52 PM)Stiff Wrote:  Any resolution and refresh rate above 165mhz pixel clock doesn't work on my 6600XT sadly, even after patching the driver (23.8.2) and making an Extension Block with 340mhz HDMI support. I'm using hdmi-dvi cable and my monitor is BenQ Gl2450.
What do you mean by doesn't work? Is the resolution and refresh rate not getting listed in the Windows display settings?

Exactly that. When I try to make a custom resolution in AMD Software it doesn't work as well. When I use Exact Reduced profile in CRU at 1080p with 75hz it works fine so I could settle with that, but I was able to push this panel to 90hz at 720p so I think it may be able to do that at 1080p as well, but obviously I need more Pixel Clock to do that.
10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
instead of going through all 771 pages on this post, can someone please save me some time and tell me the best setting I should use for least input lag on FPS games and best smoothness for a 144 hz 1080p monitor? Exact or Exact reduced or CVT-RB standard or CVT-RB2 standard VT-RB? thanks in advance.
10-26-2023, 09:50 PM
(10-26-2023 07:56 PM)gibril Wrote:  instead of going through all 771 pages on this post, can someone please save me some time and tell me the best setting I should use for least input lag on FPS games and best smoothness for a 144 hz 1080p monitor? Exact or Exact reduced or CVT-RB standard or CVT-RB2 standard VT-RB? thanks in advance.
Timing parameters have nothing to do with input lag or smoothness.
10-26-2023, 09:50 PM
(10-26-2023 03:01 PM)Stiff Wrote:  Exactly that. When I try to make a custom resolution in AMD Software it doesn't work as well. When I use Exact Reduced profile in CRU at 1080p with 75hz it works fine so I could settle with that, but I was able to push this panel to 90hz at 720p so I think it may be able to do that at 1080p as well, but obviously I need more Pixel Clock to do that.
Adding the HDMI data block is supposed to allow greater than 165 MHz pixel clock, so I would consider that a driver bug.

You might have better luck with an active DisplayPort to single-link DVI adapter. It must be an active adapter so it's treated as DisplayPort, which should allow at least 300 MHz pixel clock, and it must be single-link DVI because the monitor doesn't support dual-link DVI. Unfortunately, a lot of these adapters have bad descriptions so I can't be sure what they actually are. Active ones tend to have a box at the DVI's end. It might be easier to find an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and use an HDMI-DVI cable.

Another option is to use an HDMI EDID emulator with an HDMI-DVI cable. This will guarantee the GPU will see the monitor as HDMI before any editing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMS18T7/?tag=mtests-20#ad