Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-08-2023, 05:44 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-08-2023 03:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-06-2023 02:53 PM)opa99 Wrote:  Happens on all three resolutions I have tried, including the 3840x2160.
Currently the resolution I am using is 3840x1500, 120hz, HDR.

This issue has brought me to the point where I am considering if my AVR bought in 2015 (while being a rather capable at that time) should be upgraded. Therefore I do not know if all of these issues could be resolved by replacing the AVR with one that can do eARC. I have not yet discovered how to tell what signal is actually sent with these EDID changes to TV (Windows looks as if it could be sending LPCM 5.1, but the TV refuses to send it to AVR)...
You said the setup works with any other source than the PC, so ARC should be sufficient unless the TV is doing something different when passing audio from the PC to the AVR. What happens if you set the channels to 8 instead of 6? For the lower resolutions, there needs to be enough horizontal blanking to transmit the audio format. The default 3840x2160 should have enough.

Thank you ToastyX for reminding me to also reflect or at least read what I wrote earlier. Smile
After doing that, I realized that I also wrote that when adding a spatial filter (Dolby Atmos for home theater) in Windows settings, 5.1 audio is transmitted all the way to the receiver. Although compressed (Windows is encoding LPCM 5.1 to lossy Atmos 5.1). This leads me to think that maybe CRU did exactly what I asked it to do, but it is the limitation of the TV/ARC, since in all other cases (spatial filters disabled) I understand that PC is always transmitting LPCM, and ARC can only carry LPCM 2.0, so if the TV is not encoding it before sending, it will not be transmitted in 5.1/7.1 to the receiver over ARC.

Nevertheless, I did check the blanking, and I must say I do not understand what that means, but it reads:
3840x2160: 560 pixels, 90 lines
3840x1500: 160 pixels, 43 lines

I have also attached screenshots of all the parameters for these two resolutions in detailed resolutions window.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2023, 09:14 PM (Last edited: 11-08-2023, 09:29 PM by wolik)
Photo RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello.

I am unhappy owner of 8K 65QN900B since one day. Problem: I cannot activate DLDSR.
How can I delete 7680 and 4096 resolutions? On my old monitor 4K KS9500 I could delete with CRU "4096" successfully.
Now three fields are empty.
I hope if I delete these two resolutions then DLDSR will be available again.
Or I am too "Sweet Summer Child?"

[Image: screenshot2023-11-082o1ej4.png]
[Image: screenshot2023-11-082xve0y.png]
11-09-2023, 01:03 AM
(10-26-2023 09:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-26-2023 01:27 PM)Dinkles Wrote:  Still as soon as I import the previously working profile into CRU (or remove them manually) the monitor simply crashes the PC or stops it booting?

Could this be related to nvidia driver updates and incompatibility?
Is there something else I can try?
That's 100% an NVIDIA driver bug and needs to be reported to them. I'm not sure what triggers the bug because it's not anything that CRU is doing wrong. It triggers when any EDID override is present but doesn't always happen. In your case it didn't happen and then it did. Someone clued me in that it might be related to what resolution was last set in Windows or the NVIDIA control panel before restarting. In his case, he was trying to delete 4096x2160 and had to set the resolution to 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz before restarting to avoid the problem, but you're doing the opposite and trying to keep the higher resolution. If you just fresh installed a driver after DDU or ran reset-all.exe, then Windows has no record of a last set resolution for the monitor, so try changing the resolution to let Windows save something before restarting.

I've just created a forum topic on the official Nvidia forums in regards to this EDID override system hang. The last supported driver from all of my tests is 528.02. Or at least anything at or above version 530 is borked for my system. The hangs at startup turn off my USB devices. If I enable Bootlogging from Msconfig, the file has nothing in it but a few gibberish characters. The system is crashing before Windows can really do much of anything. Booting to safe mode and removing the driver or just deleting the EDID profile will resolve the issue.

I have a RTX 2080ti paired with a Dell S2719DGF (Freesync). Nvidia will probably tell me to shove it since I don't have a certified Gsync Compatible monitor. The thing is, I've been narrowing the range of the monitor from 40-144hz to 90-144hz with this utility since 2020 without issue to eliminate brightness flickering. The wonders of building a pandemic era machine.

Nvidia must be aware of EDID overrides. Their Quadro series allows editing the EDID from within NVCP. Oh well, for now I'm sticking to 528.02 and allowing myself to continue using this wonderful utility.
11-09-2023, 04:10 AM
(11-08-2023 05:25 AM)KukoCL Wrote:  It's displayport 1.4 and an RTX 4080.

Maybe i'm wrong but i think the problem is that CRU doesn't support 5120 pixels width (the width of my screen) so it shows blank values.
No, CRU shows what the driver says it's receiving from the monitor, but NVIDIA's driver has been doing strange things with certain monitors lately such as modifying the EDID that it reports to Windows vs. what the monitor is actually reporting, which is also why CRU is not showing the extension blocks. The driver also ignores EDID overrides for those monitors, so CRU would have no effect.

The active monitor is the only entry that's being used, but the presence of other entries with different data suggests the EDID changed at some point, maybe because of some setting you changed in the monitor, or if you tried HDMI, that would be a separate entry, or NVIDIA changed the EDID that it's reporting to Windows in a newer driver version. The other entries suggest either VRR was not enabled in the monitor, or the VRR range is being reported using another method.

Run this and post the test.txt file here so I can see what's being reported: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
(11-08-2023 05:44 PM)opa99 Wrote:  Thank you ToastyX for reminding me to also reflect or at least read what I wrote earlier. Smile
After doing that, I realized that I also wrote that when adding a spatial filter (Dolby Atmos for home theater) in Windows settings, 5.1 audio is transmitted all the way to the receiver. Although compressed (Windows is encoding LPCM 5.1 to lossy Atmos 5.1). This leads me to think that maybe CRU did exactly what I asked it to do, but it is the limitation of the TV/ARC, since in all other cases (spatial filters disabled) I understand that PC is always transmitting LPCM, and ARC can only carry LPCM 2.0, so if the TV is not encoding it before sending, it will not be transmitted in 5.1/7.1 to the receiver over ARC.

Nevertheless, I did check the blanking, and I must say I do not understand what that means, but it reads:

I have also attached screenshots of all the parameters for these two resolutions in detailed resolutions window.
Yes, Windows normally sends LPCM, so testing that would probably be limited to 2.0 with ARC. HDMI audio is transmitted during the blanking periods, so the custom resolutions you added might need more blanking to transmit certain audio formats. Adding a detailed resolution should automatically fill in the parameters for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz, so just use those parameters and change only the active resolution.
(11-08-2023 09:14 PM)wolik Wrote:  I am unhappy owner of 8K 65QN900B since one day. Problem: I cannot activate DLDSR.
How can I delete 7680 and 4096 resolutions? On my old monitor 4K KS9500 I could delete with CRU "4096" successfully.
For certain TVs like the 65QN900B, NVIDIA's driver has a bug that affects how CRU reads the extension blocks and another bug that prevents EDID overrides from having any effect, so you can't use CRU currently.

Run this and post the test.txt file here so I can see the driver is reporting: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
11-09-2023, 06:25 AM
After I create a custom resolution and I restart it doesn't pop up in my resolution list.
I use a laptop with a native res of 1366x768 and goes down to as low as 1280x720, 1128 x 634, 1024 x 768, 800 x 600. I've watched countless videos and haven't found a solution.
11-09-2023, 08:12 AM (Last edited: 11-09-2023, 08:14 AM by wolik)
(11-09-2023 04:10 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-08-2023 09:14 PM)wolik Wrote:  I am unhappy owner of 8K 65QN900B since one day. Problem: I cannot activate DLDSR.
For certain TVs like the 65QN900B, NVIDIA's driver has a bug that affects how CRU reads the extension blocks and another bug that prevents EDID overrides from having any effect, so you can't use CRU currently.

Run this and post the test.txt file here so I can see the driver is reporting: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Attached File(s)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 12.43 KB / Downloads: 73)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 12.43 KB / Downloads: 60)
11-09-2023, 11:36 AM

I also have a Samsung TV, more precisely a 43" QN90B model and also it doesn't show those extension blocks. I wanted to edit the max luminance to use an ICC profile. There is no other way to edit the max luminance of HDR?

I'll put the test.txt here as well in the hope that this can help something lol

Attached File(s)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 6.25 KB / Downloads: 66)
11-09-2023, 06:09 PM
(11-08-2023 05:44 PM)opa99 Wrote:  Thank you ToastyX for reminding me to also reflect or at least read what I wrote earlier. Smile

Yes, Windows normally sends LPCM, so testing that would probably be limited to 2.0 with ARC. HDMI audio is transmitted during the blanking periods, so the custom resolutions you added might need more blanking to transmit certain audio formats. Adding a detailed resolution should automatically fill in the parameters for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz, so just use those parameters and change only the active resolution.

Thank you for all the replies!

My challenge has been that in CRU the maximum Hertz is always 60 for these high resolutions (at least what I have been able to achieve), and then I later change the Hertz in Nvidia settings. I have not put a lot of thought into these clock or blanking values, but instead used the "Automatic HDTV" presets, since I can see that those change with the refresh rate. Would there be a source where I could read and learn what these "do" and how I should change them?
Earlier I did check Monitortests main page for the explanations, but what I can understand from there is, that with modern displays (I understand this also includes TVs), I can reduce blanking, but what I do not understand is why I would like to reduce it? Thank you for bringing up the audio requirements for the blanking, this I had not understood earlier.

Also what is a bit puzzling is the max bandwidth settings in extension blocks, I do not fully understand how I should set them. I have HDMI 2.1 connectors (and cable) on both ends, so I would assume that the generic 600 MHz maximum is not the limit, but for some reason that seems to work for me, even though with the calculators it should not (for 3840x1500 @120hz, with HDR)... The bandwidth limit on my GPU is 48 Gbps and on the TV (receiving) the limit is 40 Gbps, but I have no idea what that would be in TMDS limit, or if that is even relevant for HDMI 2.1.

So any link where I could learn more on the pixel clocks / blanking / extension block details would be appreciated. Smile