Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-21-2024, 04:59 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi,

I have an OMEN by HP 15-ax208no Laptop. I have recently replaced the original screen with a BOE NV156FHM-N4B 1920x1080 144hz.
The screen works as it should but when I installed it, only the 60hz (original screen hz) option came up.
I have tried different options via CRU but I can only get the screen to come up to 72hz. If I set it to 144hz, the screen splits in two and stutters. If I set it to 75hz, the color is washed out, almost making it black and white.
Anything above 75hz results in the screen splitting in two and stuttering.

I wonder if there is any way to solve this or if it is the screen that is wrong or the laptop?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2024, 08:39 PM
I have the asus tuf a16 with amd apu+dgpu with 16:10 1920x1200p 165hz display. I tried making custom 1440x1200p 165hz stretched res with cru but half of my screen got dimmer which half of it got blurry and flickering while the last half is black (shown in the image attached). However, this isn't a problem if the refresh rate is set to 60hz or with GPU scaling enabled (in which the active signal stays at 1920x1200p but desktop turned to 1440x1200p). I've tried different timing presets but no luck. Is there any fix to this or my display simply isn't capable of custom res?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-21-2024, 09:10 PM
(03-21-2024 08:39 PM)nea-sama Wrote:  I have the asus tuf a16 with amd apu+dgpu with 16:10 1920x1200p 165hz display. I tried making custom 1440x1200p 165hz stretched res with cru but half of my screen got dimmer which half of it got blurry and flickering while the last half is black (shown in the image attached). However, this isn't a problem if the refresh rate is set to 60hz or with GPU scaling enabled (in which the active signal stays at 1920x1200p but desktop turned to 1440x1200p). I've tried different timing presets but no luck. Is there any fix to this or my display simply isn't capable of custom res?
Laptop screens don't have scalers. You have to use GPU scaling for non-native resolutions. It'd be easier to just add 1440x1200 with SRE: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
03-21-2024, 09:10 PM
(03-21-2024 04:59 PM)JUZY Wrote:  I have an OMEN by HP 15-ax208no Laptop. I have recently replaced the original screen with a BOE NV156FHM-N4B 1920x1080 144hz.
The screen works as it should but when I installed it, only the 60hz (original screen hz) option came up.
I have tried different options via CRU but I can only get the screen to come up to 72hz. If I set it to 144hz, the screen splits in two and stutters. If I set it to 75hz, the color is washed out, almost making it black and white.

I wonder if there is any way to solve this or if it is the screen that is wrong or the laptop?
Seems like either it's the wrong panel, or it only supports 144 Hz with specific timing parameters, which would be in the data sheet.
03-22-2024, 12:09 AM
(03-07-2024 05:01 AM)Dreamic Wrote:  
(03-07-2024 12:09 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-02-2024 12:56 AM)Dreamic Wrote:  Any idea what could be causing this?
4 second clip:
https://i.imgur.com/g1gWFBC.mp4
Horizontal white line flicker on OLED, seemingly only at 360Hz, regardless of HDMI or DP cable or port, VRR on or off. I can find various results of different monitors, TV's, QDOLED, WOLED, Dell/Alienware, LG, MSI, 27", 32", etc of this issue.
No real solutions or explanations, besides lowering refresh rate which isn't much of a solution imo. Also CRU seems to do nothing on this specific display.
That looks like a signal quality problem, but if it's not the cable, then either it's an internal problem with the monitor, a bug in the monitor's firmware, or a bug in the GPU's driver with regard to DSC. If CRU doesn't have any effect, that's a GPU driver bug.
Yea, this is the only display I've had where I can't get CRU working, at all, not a single change is listened to.
I've already amassed a list of like 15 people on Reddit who have commented in various places about having this issue with this monitor, and tagged MSI (even though the issue isn't exclusive to them, from what I've seen).
[Image: twxSkTM.png]
I've also been encouraging everyone to make a ticket about it, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it. I was wondering if Blurbusters was getting one of these 3660Hz QDOLEDs, as if he was able to replicate the issue he would probably have an easier time getting MSI to listen.

Regarding DSC, they already confirmed they're working on a toggle for upcoming firmware, so we'll see if that changes anything. However, the issue is already only present at 360Hz, not 240Hz (the next highest option), even though DSC is forced on at all refresh rates and resolutions currently.
And when DSC is able to be disabled in new firmware, you still won't be able to run 360Hz 2560x1440 at 10bit without it, even though the monitor does have a proper 48gbps HDMI 2.1.

Blurbusters also suspects firmware issue currently. It's definitely not cable, it could be Nvidia driver or DSC. Or Samsung really screwed something up.

Anyways, I've done about all I can do, with others also brainstorming and trying various things. All that can be done is to get MSI's attention and hope something comes of it, I pray they're able to reproduce it so it's like locked in to being investigated. They'll have an easier time contacting Nvidia, Microsoft, or Samsung if they need to...

As an update to this post, MSI saying they've reproduced the issue and are looking into fixing it in firmware, ToastyX also said they believe the issue is firmware related, but look at this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/com..._27gs95qe/

Same issue, different brand and panel, WOLED instead of QDOLED, new, recent.
If we think it's firmware, what the f*** is going on?
The guy says it's his 2nd LG with the issue too.
This seems doomed, widespread, most people are halfblind is an issue.
03-22-2024, 07:46 PM
(03-21-2024 09:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-21-2024 04:59 PM)JUZY Wrote:  I have an OMEN by HP 15-ax208no Laptop. I have recently replaced the original screen with a BOE NV156FHM-N4B 1920x1080 144hz.

Seems like either it's the wrong panel, or it only supports 144 Hz with specific timing parameters, which would be in the data sheet.

Which of these are timing parameters? If it is the right data, which columns do I fill in the CRU?

03-23-2024, 12:16 AM (Last edited: 03-23-2024, 12:16 AM by ToastyX)
(03-22-2024 07:46 PM)JUZY Wrote:  Which of these are timing parameters? If it is the right data, which columns do I fill in the CRU?
The second one. Should look like this:

03-23-2024, 03:22 AM
Guys quick question, once I set my desired resolution (in this case, I changed freesync range from 60-144 to 30-143), can I uninstall CRU or if I delete the program it will not work?
03-23-2024, 04:11 AM
(03-23-2024 03:22 AM)Elf_7 Wrote:  Guys quick question, once I set my desired resolution (in this case, I changed freesync range from 60-144 to 30-143), can I uninstall CRU or if I delete the program it will not work?
CRU does not need to be present for changes to take effect, but keep in mind if you use something like DDU before upgrading the graphics driver, it will reset the monitors.
03-23-2024, 05:07 AM
I have an AW2725DF, Nvidia RTX 3080, 8k 1.4 DP Cable. I have an elgato 4k capture card as well that is plugged in which i'll be cloning but I don't think it has much of a play on this as i've tried doing it without this plugged in

I want to play stretched and turn 2560x1440 to 1720x1080 360hz for better frames. I legit spent I would say about 10 hours trying to get this to work but this is my only hope now.

I am using Display ID 1.3 at the bottom and deleting everything else. I first copy the one that shows 1440p and 360hz, I delete that one and add a new one, paste, change resolution, I have tried with different timings but the resolution won't pop up once I try to change it. when I add a standard resolution of 1920x1080 with it, it works but only sets as desktop resolution and not active. I try to delete the monitor and "reset-all" but why is that resolution still there despite me deleting the entry????? I also tried SRE to delete 2k resolution off and it did nothing. I reinstalled my gpu and I believe the custom resolution was still there after. I kept changing things a bunch and eventually it disappeared but I can't get the resolution to show up on advanced display settings while getting it on active resolution. PLEASE HELP my head is actually hurting.