Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-23-2014, 09:41 PM (Last edited: 03-23-2014, 09:46 PM by dice65)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
thanks toasty , i think ill try to get just 1 tv going first , i have 1 hdmi , 1 dvi to hdmi adapter that came with the 6970 , and 1 mini displayport to hdmi active adapter , i have also tryed a edid override from 3d vision , with that installed i have 1080p at 100hz an 120hz that shows up in ccc an also threw windows display properties , that did not work with all 3 TVs with eyefinity, so if i can get 1 working first i might have better luck using eyefinity after , i thought these 3d TVs would have 120hz panels for sure aslo , yes i did all three TVs using cru adding 120hz , using 13.12 drivers , maybe id be better off using a nvidia card lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2014, 03:18 AM
(03-23-2014 09:41 PM)dice65 Wrote:  thanks toasty , i think ill try to get just 1 tv going first , i have 1 hdmi , 1 dvi to hdmi adapter that came with the 6970 , and 1 mini displayport to hdmi active adapter , i have also tryed a edid override from 3d vision , with that installed i have 1080p at 100hz an 120hz that shows up in ccc an also threw windows display properties , that did not work with all 3 TVs with eyefinity, so if i can get 1 working first i might have better luck using eyefinity after , i thought these 3d TVs would have 120hz panels for sure aslo , yes i did all three TVs using cru adding 120hz , using 13.12 drivers , maybe id be better off using a nvidia card lol
That mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter might be a problem if it's not a Type 2 dual-mode active adapter.

I only know of one adapter that can properly handle 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
03-25-2014, 07:10 AM
that would be the one i have lol
03-25-2014, 08:50 PM
(03-25-2014 07:10 AM)dice65 Wrote:  that would be the one i have lol
Does it work individually at 120 Hz without Eyefinity?
03-27-2014, 01:38 AM
Can someone explain to me THIS???

I just installed a XFX Radeon R9 290x Core Edition graphics card. Figured it's finally time to over clock my Qnix 27" QX2710 1440p monitor! I fired up the CRU utility and tried out 120hz first. It displays kinda fine but the picture gets slightly darker in the top right corner of the screen and looks almost kinda interlaced. But the left side of the screen looks flawless. When I try and play a 1080p movie though I get like a white vsync tear line in the middle of the screen every few seconds. The only refresh rate that looks normal is 75hz and under. As soon as I go to 85 the top right corner starts to get darker, and when I get to 100 that's when you really noticed the interlaced look Sad Am I doing something wrong?

Now for the mind blowing part... my 2nd monitor is an Acer S232HL 23" LED connected to HDMI. I've always hated this monitor, milky washed out picture (ESPECIALLY compared against the Qnix which has the best colour of any monitor I've ever seen). No matter the settings in the monitor, even "warm" or manually boosting the colours, just always looked horrible. Especially in Outlook 2013 where they are using "dark grey" for the text, instead of black, almost made it unreadable on this screen! Just for shits and giggles I made a 75hz profile for this Acer monitor and fired it up. OMFG! The colour!!!! So amazing. This monitor has never looked this good EVER! I absolutely can't believe how good it looks, WHY???

My mother has also been doing nothing but bitching for the last few weeks about the milky picture on her new Gateway KX2703bd 27" LED monitor. I ran CRU on it, made a 75hz profile, reboot, BOOM! Flawless colour!!!

So, WTF is CRU doing to make these horrible LED monitors look so damn pretty? And if anyone has any tips for getting my Qnix to run over 75hz and not be funny Wink

Thanks!

-Jamie M.
03-27-2014, 06:27 PM
(03-27-2014 01:38 AM)toysareforboys Wrote:  I just installed a XFX Radeon R9 290x Core Edition graphics card. Figured it's finally time to over clock my Qnix 27" QX2710 1440p monitor! I fired up the CRU utility and tried out 120hz first. It displays kinda fine but the picture gets slightly darker in the top right corner of the screen and looks almost kinda interlaced. But the left side of the screen looks flawless. When I try and play a 1080p movie though I get like a white vsync tear line in the middle of the screen every few seconds. The only refresh rate that looks normal is 75hz and under. As soon as I go to 85 the top right corner starts to get darker, and when I get to 100 that's when you really noticed the interlaced look Sad Am I doing something wrong?
Uniformity problems are common with the QNIX/X-Star monitors at higher refresh rates. Some units can handle higher refresh rates better than others.

I'm not sure what you mean by interlaced. If you mean faint horizontal lines, I've only heard of that affecting monitors with LG IPS panels like the Catleap/Overlord monitors. The QNIX/X-Star monitors have Samsung PLS panels. For the IPS monitors, I have a program that can counteract the lines on the desktop but not in full screen games: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Deliner

I'm not sure what you mean by white vsync tear line either. Tearing can happen in videos if you have multiple monitors connected running at different refresh rates, but the tear line shouldn't be white.

(03-27-2014 01:38 AM)toysareforboys Wrote:  Now for the mind blowing part... my 2nd monitor is an Acer S232HL 23" LED connected to HDMI. I've always hated this monitor, milky washed out picture (ESPECIALLY compared against the Qnix which has the best colour of any monitor I've ever seen). No matter the settings in the monitor, even "warm" or manually boosting the colours, just always looked horrible. Especially in Outlook 2013 where they are using "dark grey" for the text, instead of black, almost made it unreadable on this screen! Just for shits and giggles I made a 75hz profile for this Acer monitor and fired it up. OMFG! The colour!!!! So amazing. This monitor has never looked this good EVER! I absolutely can't believe how good it looks, WHY???
With HDMI, the video card might switch to limited range output (16-235) instead of full range output (0-255), which can wash out the picture. If there's a "Pixel Format" option under "My Digital Flat-Panels" in the Catalyst Control Center, try changing that option.

Sometimes using a custom resolution will force full range output, which might be what you're seeing. CRU can also make HDMI monitors work like DVI by disabling the extension block, but then you'll need the patch to get around the 165 MHz pixel clock limit.

(03-27-2014 01:38 AM)toysareforboys Wrote:  My mother has also been doing nothing but bitching for the last few weeks about the milky picture on her new Gateway KX2703bd 27" LED monitor. I ran CRU on it, made a 75hz profile, reboot, BOOM! Flawless colour!!!
The Gateway doesn't have HDMI, so unless the DVI connection is misreporting itself as HDMI, I don't know what's going on there.
03-27-2014, 07:37 PM
(03-27-2014 06:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean by interlaced. If you mean faint horizontal lines, I've only heard of that affecting monitors with LG IPS panels like the Catleap/Overlord monitors. The QNIX/X-Star monitors have Samsung PLS panels. For the IPS monitors, I have a program that can counteract the lines on the desktop but not in full screen games: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Deliner
Yep, exactly, faint horizontal lines, noticeable from about the center of the screen and to the right, the left half of the monitor looks fine.

If I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz and run your deline program with "15" it looks exactly like the monitor does at 120hz. If I run your program with the monitor at 120hz it makes the problem worse. I tried 5, 10, 15, invert with 0, nothing seemed to help.

(03-27-2014 06:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean by white vsync tear line either. Tearing can happen in videos if you have multiple monitors connected running at different refresh rates, but the tear line shouldn't be white.
Yep, I was running my Acer (hdmi) at 75hz and my Qnix (DVI) at 120hz when I noticed the tearing. I've since just put my Qnix down to 75hz to solve the uneven brightness and the horizontal line problem and the tearing is now gone.

(03-27-2014 06:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  With HDMI, the video card might switch to limited range output (16-235) instead of full range output (0-255), which can wash out the picture. If there's a "Pixel Format" option under "My Digital Flat-Panels" in the Catalyst Control Center, try changing that option.

Sometimes using a custom resolution will force full range output, which might be what you're seeing. CRU can also make HDMI monitors work like DVI by disabling the extension block, but then you'll need the patch to get around the 165 MHz pixel clock limit.
Sweet, that looks to be exactly what it's doing Smile

I've already patched to get around the 165 limit Wink

(03-27-2014 06:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The Gateway doesn't have HDMI, so unless the DVI connection is misreporting itself as HDMI, I don't know what's going on there.
Freaky. I'm using a HDMI to DVI cable from her graphics card to her monitor (DVI port already has DVI to HDMI cable running through wall to TV so couldn't really swap it).

Possibly unrelated but after patching and setting my Qnix to 75hz I noticed scrolling in firefox is really jerky, where as before it used to be pretty smooth. If I run fraps it says my FPS when scrolling in firefox is 30fps. What can I do to make firefox run at 75fps??

-Jamie M.
03-29-2014, 04:27 PM (Last edited: 03-29-2014, 04:30 PM by mnick)
I was trying to force my MSI'S GE60 laptop screen to work with 1080@75Hz but CRU has absolutely no effect - I overclocked my desktop screen a few times - I know how to do it. What might be the problem? It's i7-4700MQ+GTX 760M.
Another question: I have BenQ XL2411T(144Hz) is it possible to overclock it (I'm just curious).
03-29-2014, 05:59 PM
(03-29-2014 04:27 PM)mnick Wrote:  I was trying to force my MSI'S GE60 laptop screen to work with 1080@75Hz but CRU has absolutely no effect - I overclocked my desktop screen a few times - I know how to do it. What might be the problem? It's i7-4700MQ+GTX 760M.
CRU does not work with laptops that have switchable graphics. You have to use Intel's CustomModeApp.exe: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

(03-29-2014 04:27 PM)mnick Wrote:  Another question: I have BenQ XL2411T(144Hz) is it possible to overclock it (I'm just curious).
Probably not by much. The ASUS VG248QE could only get 146-147 Hz at the native resolution and 150 Hz at lower resolutions.
03-29-2014, 06:10 PM
(03-27-2014 07:37 PM)toysareforboys Wrote:  If I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz and run your deline program with "15" it looks exactly like the monitor does at 120hz. If I run your program with the monitor at 120hz it makes the problem worse. I tried 5, 10, 15, invert with 0, nothing seemed to help.
Make sure you are not running multiple copies because they will overlap each other. You have to end the process each time to exit.

If running the program makes the lines worse, you'll have to invert the lines like this: deliner 0 15.exe

If that doesn't work, then there might be some oddity to the pattern on the screen.

Keep in mind the program affects the whole screen by default, so if some parts of the screen are worse than others, it might help one part but make another part worse. The program does have options to split the screen into sections with different options for each section, but it can be a pain to figure out which settings work best.

(03-27-2014 06:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Possibly unrelated but after patching and setting my Qnix to 75hz I noticed scrolling in firefox is really jerky, where as before it used to be pretty smooth. If I run fraps it says my FPS when scrolling in firefox is 30fps. What can I do to make firefox run at 75fps??
You shouldn't have to do anything to make Firefox run at 75 FPS. I wonder if you're having a vsync problem caused by having multiple monitors. Even if both monitors are running at 75 Hz, they won't match exactly, which can cause problems with vsync. Try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox.