Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
12-19-2014, 05:12 AM (Last edited: 12-19-2014, 06:08 AM by quejo)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(12-18-2014 06:16 AM)quejo Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 04:37 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-15-2014 02:44 PM)quejo Wrote:  After unlocking lightboost with lightboost setup with or without the accell hud connected the refresh rates becames available. Im testing with only one monitor connected. Even with refresh rates available i cannot initialize lightboost with the accell hub.
I don't know what you're saying. If the installed refresh rates are available and the monitors were initialized, then LightBoost should be working. The monitors don't need to be initialized again unless the monitors lose power. If you can't initialize the monitors through the hub, then do it through the video card. Then connect the initialized monitors back to the hub without disconnecting the power. Make sure at least one monitor is connected directly to the video card so Strobelight can check if a compatible monitor exists.
found the problem one of my monitors is defective. I just want to figure out why i cant initialize the monitors if i connect them only by the hub

also when i enable lightboost at 120hz i get flickering. 110hz is ok for 3 of 4 of my 7950 cards. only one card can handle 120hz refresh rate with lightboost enabled without flickering. My setup has quad crossfire 7950

i also tried to initialize the monitors connecting one directly to the vga and other to the displayport hub. The one that was directly connected was successfully initialized but the other monitor connected to the hub could not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Would like to know if current ver of lightboost works well with AMD 14.12 Omega drivers? I installed it and tested with ufotest, seems different from the time when i was using 14.9.
12-23-2014, 02:29 PM
(12-21-2014 08:56 AM)ds84 Wrote:  Would like to know if current ver of lightboost works well with AMD 14.12 Omega drivers? I installed it and tested with ufotest, seems different from the time when i was using 14.9.
What's different? There shouldn't be any issues with 14.12. If the monitor's menu shows 3D mode, then it's working.
12-23-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm having a problem with the app. It never gets past "Initializing display 1...". It's currently at pass 18,000 and has been running for quite a bit longer than a "few minutes". I did run the setup, and rebooted the computer.
12-23-2014, 06:55 PM (Last edited: 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM by JackNaylorPE)
1. Have the Asus VG248QE w/ toasty installed (120 + 121 Hz).

-The Lightboost Utility is "unlocked" in Monitor OSD
- Advanced Settings Screen Resolution \ Monitor lists

59 Hz
120 (seleted)

I didn't install the 59 via Toasty .... The 110 and 144 were non strobed in install utility, 110 ans 120 were strobed. It does not list as strobed in Windows Screen Resolution\ Advanced Settings tho.

-The utility starts with Windows and the Strobelight Utility icon is in the system tray at right on taskbar. Opening it it says strobing is on / Strobe brightness is set at 10%.

-nVidia brightness, contrast and gamma as per blurbusters recommendations.

-UFO test shows on 30 and 60 fps. Using Firefox 34.0.5. IE shows 33 and 67 fps, Chrome shows 30 and 60 fps

-System is a 4770k (4.6 Ghz) w/ twin 780s in SLI

Suggestions as to why test won't run at 120 Hz ?

2. Asus advertised this model as being upgradeable to G-Sync. The kits were initially available at a whopping $200 and most of us figured it would drop. Haven't seen the kits offered at any price in month. Anyone hear why ? what happened ?
12-23-2014, 07:49 PM
(12-23-2014 06:55 PM)JackNaylorPE Wrote:  1. Have the Asus VG248QE w/ toasty installed (120 + 121 Hz).

-The Lightboost Utility is "unlocked" in Monitor OSD
- Advanced Settings Screen Resolution \ Monitor lists

59 Hz
120 (seleted)

I didn't install the 59 via Toasty .... The 110 and 144 were non strobed in install utility, 110 ans 120 were strobed. It does not list as strobed in Windows Screen Resolution\ Advanced Settings tho.
There's some NVIDIA driver bug involved, possibly related to SLI. The only refresh rates that should be available are the ones you installed. Can you check if uninstalling GeForce Experience resolves the problem? If you happen to have Samsung Magician, uninstall that as well. If that doesn't help, does the problem still happen if SLI is disabled?

(12-23-2014 06:55 PM)JackNaylorPE Wrote:  2. Asus advertised this model as being upgradeable to G-Sync. The kits were initially available at a whopping $200 and most of us figured it would drop. Haven't seen the kits offered at any price in month. Anyone hear why ? what happened ?
They are probably discontinuing it because G-Sync monitors are available now.
12-23-2014, 07:50 PM
(12-23-2014 06:47 PM)tstrimple Wrote:  I'm having a problem with the app. It never gets past "Initializing display 1...". It's currently at pass 18,000 and has been running for quite a bit longer than a "few minutes". I did run the setup, and rebooted the computer.
Strobelight does not support BenQ Z-series monitors, but they have a strobing feature that can be adjusted using this: http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/
12-27-2014, 03:18 AM
(12-23-2014 07:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  There's some NVIDIA driver bug involved, possibly related to SLI. The only refresh rates that should be available are the ones you installed. Can you check if uninstalling GeForce Experience resolves the problem? If you happen to have Samsung Magician, uninstall that as well. If that doesn't help, does the problem still happen if SLI is disabled?

Will try all 3 .... don't really care about 59Hz .... just want 120

Quote:They are probably discontinuing it because G-Sync monitors are available now.

That's a bit lame, perhaps illegal, no ? Advertise a product with the promise of G-Sync boards being available and then pull the plug ?
12-27-2014, 05:54 AM (Last edited: 12-27-2014, 05:56 AM by squatchy)
I'd just like to say thanks to all the contributors of Strobelight - it's insane the difference I see on my VG248QE monitors after enabling this.

One odd thing has been happening for me, however: I occasionally want to turn off one of my monitors (I have 2) when I'm watching Netflix and if I do this and also toggle Lightboost, the monitor that's on will show a no signal pattern on the display instead! (similar to: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aKG3nYzAWLk/hqdefault.jpg )

It's not easily reproducible from my testing over the last 24 hours, but I do notice that using the Window Key + P to switch between Extend and Computer Only (sometimes I get too lazy to reach and turn off my monitor Tongue) causes this problem to be more frequent (again only when switching between LB on and LB off).

The solutions I've found are usually to just toggle Windows Key + P or turn the monitors off/on, but I'm wondering if this is a known issue.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Specs:
2 x VG248QE monitors (running strobing at 120Hz)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Windows 7
12-27-2014, 12:28 PM
(12-27-2014 03:18 AM)JackNaylorPE Wrote:  That's a bit lame, perhaps illegal, no ? Advertise a product with the promise of G-Sync boards being available and then pull the plug ?
They did make the boards available, but it's a niche product that very few people can use because it only works with one particular monitor.