Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-06-2015, 12:45 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-06-2015 12:25 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The default settings are fine for most cases. The only interesting options are the color formats, the maximum TMDS clock (affects the HDMI pixel clock limit with AMD/ATI), and the HDMI resolutions (for UHD/4K displays). The other stuff is informational.

Ok I left checked the default "override maximum TMDS clock: 660Mhz" is it ok?

Also I have an Nvidia 980ti gpu, should i use the Nvidia pixel clock patcher?

Thanks for the help and the patience.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 02:10 PM
(09-06-2015 12:45 PM)Maxximo Wrote:  Ok I left checked the default "override maximum TMDS clock: 660Mhz" is it ok?
I don't think it matters with NVIDIA, but I would leave that enabled to make sure it doesn't limit the pixel clock.

(09-06-2015 12:45 PM)Maxximo Wrote:  Also I have an Nvidia 980ti gpu, should i use the Nvidia pixel clock patcher?
It should be obvious if you need the patcher because resolutions with higher pixel clocks wouldn't work without it. If the custom resolutions are working, then you don't need it.
09-06-2015, 02:11 PM
(09-06-2015 12:32 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  I really want to get 120hz working without image corruption!
AMD VSR limits 2560x1440 to 100hz, so if I can get the monitor to accept 120hz with CRU, that's a BIG win compared to AMD VSR.
But I don't know what is causing the swimming pixels at 120hz, and the lowest horizontal available in CRU is 2641. Might not be possible Sad
The total includes the front porch and sync width. Try reducing those.
09-06-2015, 02:27 PM (Last edited: 09-06-2015, 02:56 PM by falkentyne)
(09-06-2015 02:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 12:32 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  I really want to get 120hz working without image corruption!
AMD VSR limits 2560x1440 to 100hz, so if I can get the monitor to accept 120hz with CRU, that's a BIG win compared to AMD VSR.
But I don't know what is causing the swimming pixels at 120hz, and the lowest horizontal available in CRU is 2641. Might not be possible Sad
The total includes the front porch and sync width. Try reducing those.

Haha I tried that.
Image split into multiple 'rectangles' and was bouncing up and down like a trampoline. Reminded me of old broken Analog TV's.

I don't think I ever hit "cancel" so fast in my life....

*EDIT*
Reduced porch and sync to 48/1 and 32/1
HT 2656. VT 1500.
Swimming pixels at 120hz
(ALMOST) Works correctly at 115hz. (pixel clock 458.15 MHz)
Image is almost clean but theres's random pixels flickering, very rarely. took me a very long while to notice it, as it was barely happening.

Is this a DP cable limitation? (I'm using an Accel 3 meter DP cable).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098HVZBE/?tag=mtests-20#ad
09-06-2015, 05:57 PM
(09-06-2015 11:52 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 05:04 PM)BlackSharkfr Wrote:  Now about AW's EDID Editor and the extension block : when I try it, it asks for the extension as a binary file, but it doesn't provide a GUI to write it, so it's unusable for me, I run out of detailed resolutions and I am stuck. (unless I missed a feature in AW's Edid Editor ?)
I get an editor when I click "CEA-861" in the toolbar. I'm not seeing where it's asking for a binary file.
Oh my ! how can I have confused this with Moninfo.
I also missed the button, amazing I didn't see it.
Thank you, I'll try again with this menu.
09-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi there, @ToastyX,

Let me just start by saying that I'm new to this kind of thing and messing with PCs in general, so I apologize for what may seem to be a lack of knowledge at any point. Anyways, I am running a Digital Storm Behemoth laptop with two 8GB GTX 980m's in SLI, 32GB RAM, i7 4980MQ, etc. and a newly purchased Acer XG270HU 1440p 144Hz monitor, which I am connected to through a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (I'm just using this while I wait for my single MDP to DP cord) and both the adapter and cord are rated for up to 4K.
Now, when I was using only the HDMI cable I was able (for brief periods of time) to run my monitor at it's full resolution with no real problems for the first day, but it soon started to become very unstable with games, giving 'NO SIGNAL FOUND' black screens nearly every time I attempted to launch a game or messed with settings. So I ordered a MDP to DP cable which is still not here, and in the mean time I grabbed the above mentioned MDP to HDMI adapter, which is much much much more stable, but will not at all let me go beyond 1080p at 60Hz, even after trying your 5 step process with CRU and also adding the HDMI patch you linked.
I'm pretty positive I'm just not using the utility right, but I can't find any sort of 'beginner walkthrough' for fools like me. Any advice? I'm hoping that when my cord arrives it will fix my issues, but it would be nice to have a better grasp on the situation in any case.

thanks in advance
09-06-2015, 08:55 PM (Last edited: 09-06-2015, 10:22 PM by falkentyne)
(09-06-2015 08:39 PM)cosmicamnesia Wrote:  Hi there, @ToastyX,

Let me just start by saying that I'm new to this kind of thing and messing with PCs in general, so I apologize for what may seem to be a lack of knowledge at any point. Anyways, I am running a Digital Storm Behemoth laptop with two 8GB GTX 980m's in SLI, 32GB RAM, i7 4980MQ, etc. and a newly purchased Acer XG270HU 1440p 144Hz monitor, which I am connected to through a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (I'm just using this while I wait for my single MDP to DP cord) and both the adapter and cord are rated for up to 4K.
Now, when I was using only the HDMI cable I was able (for brief periods of time) to run my monitor at it's full resolution with no real problems for the first day, but it soon started to become very unstable with games, giving 'NO SIGNAL FOUND' black screens nearly every time I attempted to launch a game or messed with settings. So I ordered a MDP to DP cable which is still not here, and in the mean time I grabbed the above mentioned MDP to HDMI adapter, which is much much much more stable, but will not at all let me go beyond 1080p at 60Hz, even after trying your 5 step process with CRU and also adding the HDMI patch you linked.
I'm pretty positive I'm just not using the utility right, but I can't find any sort of 'beginner walkthrough' for fools like me. Any advice? I'm hoping that when my cord arrives it will fix my issues, but it would be nice to have a better grasp on the situation in any case.

thanks in advance

BEFORE YOU CONTINUE ON, are you sure you have an XG270HU or an XB270HU?
The XG270HU already has a HDMI port, so why are you using a DP to HDMI cable? Just use HDMI ...

And if this *IS* indeed an XG270HU......this is a FREESYNC monitor. And you are using a GSYNC video chip ..freesync/adaptive sync does NOT work with Nvidia cards, so...why did you buy that monitor? Return it and get an XB270HU...(IMO)

*IF* This is a GSYNC monitor (the XB270HU), then read on.

ToastyX will have to help you here, but I can tell you directly that you are probably SOL. That monitor does NOT have a hardware scaler and also does NOT have HDMI capability (probably due to the missing scaler, which is handled by the video card directly). The scaler is a Gsync module, which current versions only support Displayport.

If you want a console compatible monitor, you need one with a traditional scaler and HDMI ports. Everyone I have seen who has been trying to convert DP to HDMI on Gsync monitors has run into problems.. The other person had an Acer XB270HU. he tried to use a DP to HDMI $30 adapter (not sure if this is active or passive) and he got "no signal" on his Playstation 4.

This would not happen with a monitor with a native HDMI port.
Sorry if I'm confused but I still have no idea why you purchased a freesync monitor to use with an Nvidia video card/laptop...

Any other HDMI problems with the freesync monitor, hopefully toastyX will be able to help.
09-06-2015, 09:08 PM (Last edited: 09-06-2015, 09:17 PM by cosmicamnesia)
It is the FreeSync version. I was aware of that when buying, but I figured with DisplayPort I would simply lock it at 120Hz or something like that. Also my HDMI port is version 1.4a, which apparently has more limitations than recent revisions, so my only way of achieving higher speeds and resolutions is through MDP ( correct me if I'm wrong). Also, this monitor was significantly less pricey than the G Sync equivalent, but I'm going to end up going that route if I can't at least get this thing to lock at 120 or 144Hz at 1440p. It's just strange because like I said, it WAS working fine with HDMI and DiRt Rally at 144fps, but any time I would adjust my settings on the monitor or in game the screen would just turn black and I had to restart everything.

If this monitor is just gonna continue to be a turd for me then ROG Swift it is.
09-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Does anyone know what Displayport version *reference* R9 290x cards use? Reviews keep mentioning DP 1.2, but the AMD driver won't allow any pixel clock higher than 480 MHz! The refresh rate or resolution is not even available if its 481 mhz. This seems to imply DP 1.1a....DP 1.2 should exceed 600 mhz...

ToastyX, can you verify this?
09-08-2015, 06:36 PM
(09-07-2015 07:23 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  Does anyone know what Displayport version *reference* R9 290x cards use? Reviews keep mentioning DP 1.2, but the AMD driver won't allow any pixel clock higher than 480 MHz! The refresh rate or resolution is not even available if its 481 mhz. This seems to imply DP 1.1a....DP 1.2 should exceed 600 mhz...
The pixel clock limit depends on the number of lanes and the DisplayPort clock speed. You need a DisplayPort 1.2 monitor to get DisplayPort 1.2 speeds.

DisplayPort 1.1 max: 4 lanes @ 270 MHz = 360 MHz (8 bpc), 480 MHz (6 bpc)
DisplayPort 1.2 max: 4 lanes @ 540 MHz = 720 MHz (8 bpc), 960 MHz (6 bpc)

(09-06-2015 02:27 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  Reduced porch and sync to 48/1 and 32/1
HT 2656. VT 1500.
Swimming pixels at 120hz
(ALMOST) Works correctly at 115hz. (pixel clock 458.15 MHz)
Image is almost clean but theres's random pixels flickering, very rarely. took me a very long while to notice it, as it was barely happening.

Is this a DP cable limitation? (I'm using an Accel 3 meter DP cable).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098HVZBE/?tag=mtests-20#ad
That's a scaler limitation. I've seen that on several monitors. Sometimes the same timing parameters will work with DVI but not with DisplayPort.