Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I've been having the same kind of issues and tried this app but nothing seems to solve my problem.

I have an old AOC 19" LCD Monitor (912SW) connected to a EVGA GTX650Ti Boost via DVI to VGA adapter and not really sure if it's doing 1:1 pixel mapping because text looks fuzzy as well as very strange contrast/gamma levels and it's causing a lot of eyestrain no matter how much I've messed with these settings. After applying this tool and rebooting it will change settings to 1440x900 (native resolution) @59Hz and although it improves text fuzziness a little bit, it does not completely solve the problem. I've messed around with almost pretty much every settings but nothing seems to work.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I'm suspecting it could be the DVI to VGA adapter which is causing a picture quality loss or something. I'll be installing a Linux distro just to make sure if nothing else works.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Hey guys is it normal that whenever I start Windows, I hear the device plugged in sound and my screen flashes right when I get to my desktop? It just started doing it recently, my resolution still works but I never had this problem until now.
09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
(09-11-2013 05:53 AM)apav Wrote:  Hey guys is it normal that whenever I start Windows, I hear the device plugged in sound and my screen flashes right when I get to my desktop? It just started doing it recently, my resolution still works but I never had this problem until now.
That's caused by GeForce Experience. Reinstall the NVIDIA driver without GeForce Experience by using the custom install option. Then patch the driver as usual and add the refresh rates back in CRU if necessary. That should also fix the issue where the refresh rates show up in the NVIDIA control panel but not in Windows.
09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
(09-10-2013 10:29 PM)prankstare Wrote:  I have an old AOC 19" LCD Monitor (912SW) connected to a EVGA GTX650Ti Boost via DVI to VGA adapter and not really sure if it's doing 1:1 pixel mapping because text looks fuzzy as well as very strange contrast/gamma levels and it's causing a lot of eyestrain no matter how much I've messed with these settings. After applying this tool and rebooting it will change settings to 1440x900 (native resolution) @59Hz and although it improves text fuzziness a little bit, it does not completely solve the problem. I've messed around with almost pretty much every settings but nothing seems to work.
VGA doesn't really work well with LCD monitors. Some monitors handle it better than others, but the 912SW is a cheap monitor that doesn't even have DVI. VGA is also prone to interference, so the adapter or cable could be affecting the quality.

The clock and phase needs to be adjusted just right to get a good picture. The monitor should have an auto-adjustment function, which works best when displaying a checkerboard pixel pattern full screen: https://www.monitortests.com/pattern-1440x900.png

This may also help: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php
09-11-2013, 03:50 PM (Last edited: 09-11-2013, 04:06 PM by apav)
(09-11-2013 09:00 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 05:53 AM)apav Wrote:  Hey guys is it normal that whenever I start Windows, I hear the device plugged in sound and my screen flashes right when I get to my desktop? It just started doing it recently, my resolution still works but I never had this problem until now.
That's caused by GeForce Experience. Reinstall the NVIDIA driver without GeForce Experience by using the custom install option. Then patch the driver as usual and add the refresh rates back in CRU if necessary. That should also fix the issue where the refresh rates show up in the NVIDIA control panel but not in Windows.

Thanks! Is there any way to keep Geforce Experience but to stop it from flashing?
09-12-2013, 09:06 AM
(09-11-2013 09:15 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  VGA doesn't really work well with LCD monitors. Some monitors handle it better than others, but the 912SW is a cheap monitor that doesn't even have DVI. VGA is also prone to interference, so the adapter or cable could be affecting the quality.

The clock and phase needs to be adjusted just right to get a good picture. The monitor should have an auto-adjustment function, which works best when displaying a checkerboard pixel pattern full screen: https://www.monitortests.com/pattern-1440x900.png

This may also help: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

I just did what you suggested but the problem seems to persist. Strange thing is that even though it's VGA, I never had such problems when connected directly to a VGA port (without the use of adapter); quite the opposite, I've always praised the picture quality of this cheap monitor even better than some other pricier LCD displays out there, it always looked great in conjunction with ATI-AMD graphics cards. Could that be a Nvidia driver thing? If so, are there any alternative drivers? I remember there was something about Omega drivers in the past, but not sure if it's the same thing or what.

Also, just to clarify all this. How do I check if monitor is doing 1:1 pixel mapping? I ask because after applying a custom setting and reboot, there was a slight improvement but it still looks kind of fuzzy. I am not sure what to do next.
09-12-2013, 11:11 AM (Last edited: 09-12-2013, 03:22 PM by hakke)
Thank god for finding this thread and software.

I've had problems getting the native resolution of 1360x768 from HTPC -> AV receiver -> TV. Finally got it, thankyou.

A problem though. Now that the picture is ok the sound is not working via HDMI at all. Actually HDMI connection is not recognized, instead geforce control panel says the connection is DVI. All connections between devices are made with HDMI. Any ideas?

Win8 64-bit
Geforce gt610 - latest drivers
Yamaha rx-v673 - latest firmware
TV Sony kdl46d3000

edit: hardware acceleration not working, oh my.
09-12-2013, 11:24 PM
(09-12-2013 11:11 AM)hakke Wrote:  A problem though. Now that the picture is ok the sound is not working via HDMI at all. Actually HDMI connection is not recognized, instead geforce control panel says the connection is DVI. All connections between devices are made with HDMI. Any ideas?
Audio support is defined in the extension block, but NVIDIA's driver won't include the display's extension block when an EDID override is present. You have to create a custom extension block, but CRU doesn't have that ability yet.

I might be able to create one for you if you can give me the extension block information from your display/receiver. I don't know what can do that reliably. Sometimes this works: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
09-12-2013, 11:31 PM
(09-12-2013 09:06 AM)prankstare Wrote:  I just did what you suggested but the problem seems to persist. Strange thing is that even though it's VGA, I never had such problems when connected directly to a VGA port (without the use of adapter); quite the opposite, I've always praised the picture quality of this cheap monitor even better than some other pricier LCD displays out there, it always looked great in conjunction with ATI-AMD graphics cards. Could that be a Nvidia driver thing?
I'm not aware of any issues with NVIDIA's driver that would affect VGA image quality. This sounds like a signal quality issue.

(09-12-2013 09:06 AM)prankstare Wrote:  Also, just to clarify all this. How do I check if monitor is doing 1:1 pixel mapping?
The patterns I linked should make that clear. They should be uniform without artifacts.
09-12-2013, 11:32 PM
(09-11-2013 03:50 PM)apav Wrote:  Thanks! Is there any way to keep Geforce Experience but to stop it from flashing?
Disabling the tray icon seems to stop GeForce Experience from loading, but then starting GeForce Experience manually will trigger the problem. This is something NVIDIA needs to fix.