Unable to modify AVR's EDID (I could previously)
02-13-2023, 08:57 PM (Last edited: 02-14-2023, 12:49 PM by ashlar)
RE: Unable to modify AVR's EDID (I could previously)
(02-13-2023 03:31 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  NVIDIA has two different bugs that could be the issue:

1. The Denon EDID only has 1 byte left for data blocks in the extension block. NVIDIA's driver has a bug that can cause it to crash or ignore any changes if there's less than 2 bytes left.

2. Some people have reported any change causing the driver to crash even when the EDID is fine. The weird thing is it doesn't happen to everyone, so I don't know what the trigger is. Some people have reported using DDU and reinstalling the driver fixed the problem.

The really strange thing is that this started happening all of a sudden. I had been spending days modifying the EDID with no problem whatsoever. And then... stop.

Today I tried DDU and installed old drivers (457.30).
GPU connected to the AVR and the AVR to the TV.

With these old drivers the 23.976 refresh was different than with the newer ones. I thought something else had changed, without me realizing it, so I updated to the newest ones (528.49) and the refresh rate went back to what it used to be. I mean they both are 23.976xxx but it's the xxx that changes and that's important for smooth playback in a HTPC scenario.

What I don't understand is:

if the EDID that matters is the one in the AVR, why is it that changing drivers modifies the refresh rate (surely different timings are used)?

Edit: I say "the EDID that matters is the one in the AVR" because CRU doesn't even "see" the TV connected to the AVR (although madVR does.

EDIT 2
I suppose what I'm trying to say is this:

If changing the drivers changes the refresh rate for 23.976, I would expect being able to do something on the GPU side to further modify it. Surely the driver did not change the EDID of the AVR or could it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unable to modify AVR's EDID (I could previously) - ashlar - 02-13-2023 08:57 PM