25ft HDMI Cable signal loss..can I use software to compensate?
06-18-2021, 06:16 PM
25ft HDMI Cable signal loss..can I use software to compensate?
Hi Folks,

I have a 2018 Vizio P-55 TV that I am connecting to my PC with an Nvidia GPU via a 25ft HDMI 2.1 18GBps cable from monoprice. I know the cable run is long and in my case I can't get 4K60 with HDR working. (It works fine with a shorter cable). The TV displays fine in SDR 10bit RGB. The Vizio has the option to turn "Full UHD Color" on or off which enables/disables HDMI 2.0b

I want to use CRU to see if I can force 4k60 HDR using 8bit sampling, or a pixel clock/data rate that is less demanding, hopefully allowing me to keep my PC where it is and use the 25ft monoprice cable. Before I start messing around with settings I was looking for advice on what options to set. Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2021, 08:52 PM
RE: 25ft HDMI Cable signal loss..can I use software to compensate?
There's nothing in the EDID for 8-bit HDR. It would be better to use a repeater to boost the signal. Monoprice has a cheap one here: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15650

Source > 10 ft. cable > repeater > 15 ft. cable > PC
06-26-2021, 11:50 PM
RE: 25ft HDMI Cable signal loss..can I use software to compensate?
Another alternative that is not as cheap would be an Active Fiber Optic HDMI cable. Just make sure you hook it up correctly as they are directional.