ASUS PG27AQN cannot edit monitor resolutions
11-02-2022, 07:56 PM
ASUS PG27AQN cannot edit monitor resolutions
Hello,

I play CSGO at 1280x960 and was hoping to use my new 360Hz monitor to be able to do just that but when I launched the game the refresh rate was capped to 240Hz.

Looking through the list of resolutions available in Nvidia control panel the maximum refresh rate available for 1280x960 is 240Hz and the custom resolution button is completely greyed out. (I tried resetting all my nvidia settings and even ddu'd and reinstalled the latest drivers but this did not fix the problem).

I tried contacting Asus support regarding this and the responce I got was:

"The monitor has been tested and is compatible with the resolutions in the manual.
Unfortunatly, we can not confirm if it will be able to work with different resolution and refresh rate settings.

Especially refresh rate of 360hz is very hard to work with resolutions other than the ones that are in the manual."

I have tried using CRU to edit the resolutions available but this does not work. When opening the Monitor profile in CRU it does not show the full list of available resolutions that can be seen in nvidia control panel and if I do try adding a new resolution through Detailed resolutions or Extension blocks it doesn't show up.

If I try using GPU scaling instead of display scaling there is only a limited list of 4 resolutions that show up even through SRE shows a much longer list.

It is entirely possible I am missing something quite obvious and so would be grateful if someone could point it out but if that is not the case any suggestions about possible solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2022, 02:45 AM
RE: ASUS PG27AQN cannot edit monitor resolutions
The issue with NVIDIA custom resolutions and GPU scaling being limited is because NVIDIA's driver doesn't currently support those features with display stream compression, which is required for 2560x1440 @ 360 Hz. Are the options available if you change the refresh rate to 240 Hz?

What does CRU show? The monitor might be using DisplayID instead of EDID, so EDID overrides won't have any effect. That might not matter anyway because NVIDIA G-SYNC monitors usually only support a limited set of resolutions and refresh rates, so 1280x960 @ 360 Hz might not possible with that monitor, and you won't be able to create a GPU-scaled resolution because of the DSC limitation.
11-03-2022, 09:48 AM (Last edited: 11-03-2022, 10:05 AM by Kylo)
(11-03-2022 02:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The issue with NVIDIA custom resolutions and GPU scaling being limited is because NVIDIA's driver doesn't currently support those features with display stream compression, which is required for 2560x1440 @ 360 Hz. Are the options available if you change the refresh rate to 240 Hz?

What does CRU show? The monitor might be using DisplayID instead of EDID, so EDID overrides won't have any effect. That might not matter anyway because NVIDIA G-SYNC monitors usually only support a limited set of resolutions and refresh rates, so 1280x960 @ 360 Hz might not possible with that monitor, and you won't be able to create a GPU-scaled resolution because of the DSC limitation.

Thank you for the reply.

I tried lowering the refresh rate as you suggested but the custom resolution feature was still greyed out.

As for CRU I have attached a screenshot of what the active profile for the monitor looks like by default. When looking at the dropdown list it shows two instances of the Asus monitor, one active and one inactive. If I delete the inactive one then restart my computer it comes back. I have also included a screenshot of what that profile looks like.

https://imgur.com/a/B2IvEuB

At one point before when I was trying to add 1280x960 @ 360 Hz I did notice duplicate 2560x1440 resolutions showing up under the list all modes of the display adapter but after reset-all.exe this went away.

I also downloaded EDWriter to see if I could read the EDID/DisplayID. When trying read EDID I get the message that "Data contains more than 256 bytes. Only the first 256 bytes were read" and If I try reading DisplayID I get the message "Failed to communicate with display." I don't know if that information is helpful but I thought I would include it just in case. Just to be clear I have not used Write EDID or Write DisplayID, as I don't what what I'm doing and feel like I would probably break something.
11-03-2022, 06:35 PM
(11-03-2022 09:48 AM)Kylo Wrote:  I also downloaded EDWriter to see if I could read the EDID/DisplayID. When trying read EDID I get the message that "Data contains more than 256 bytes. Only the first 256 bytes were read" and If I try reading DisplayID I get the message "Failed to communicate with display." I don't know if that information is helpful but I thought I would include it just in case. Just to be clear I have not used Write EDID or Write DisplayID, as I don't what what I'm doing and feel like I would probably break something.
It's possible for a DisplayID to be in the EDID bank. Use EDWriter to save the EDID to a file and attach it here so I can take a look.
11-04-2022, 01:14 AM
(11-03-2022 06:35 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-03-2022 09:48 AM)Kylo Wrote:  I also downloaded EDWriter to see if I could read the EDID/DisplayID. When trying read EDID I get the message that "Data contains more than 256 bytes. Only the first 256 bytes were read" and If I try reading DisplayID I get the message "Failed to communicate with display." I don't know if that information is helpful but I thought I would include it just in case. Just to be clear I have not used Write EDID or Write DisplayID, as I don't what what I'm doing and feel like I would probably break something.
It's possible for a DisplayID to be in the EDID bank. Use EDWriter to save the EDID to a file and attach it here so I can take a look.

Here a copy of the EDID as requested.

Attached File(s)
.bin  ASUS_PG27AQN.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 126)
11-05-2022, 02:07 AM (Last edited: 11-05-2022, 02:08 AM by ToastyX)
That's a normal EDID. I wonder why CRU doesn't show the extension blocks. Run reset-all.exe and restart. Then use RegEdit to export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY to a file and attach it here so I can see what the driver reports to Windows.
11-06-2022, 04:44 AM
I was wondering if I was the only one with this issue, I'm having the same problem.
11-06-2022, 04:52 AM
(11-05-2022 02:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's a normal EDID. I wonder why CRU doesn't show the extension blocks. Run reset-all.exe and restart. Then use RegEdit to export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY to a file and attach it here so I can see what the driver reports to Windows.

Here is a copy of what you asked for. Thank you for the help.

Attached File(s)
.reg  DISPLAY.reg (Size: 18.7 KB / Downloads: 124)
11-07-2022, 03:35 PM
NVIDIA's driver is reporting an EDID with no extension blocks. My guess is this happens if the monitor has a DisplayID, but the driver is not allowing EDWriter to read the DisplayID. The same happens with the Samsung Odyssey G9. Currently there is no way to do a DisplayID override, and I don't have any monitors with a DisplayID to see if I can find a way. If I do find a way, it will be implemented in CRU 2.
11-14-2022, 10:20 PM
No we can't have custom with this monitor Sad