CRU 1.3 preview
10-08-2016, 08:24 PM
RE: CRU 1.3 preview (P2)
(10-08-2016 05:45 PM)mtrai Wrote:  First world problem is I am having a hard time finding something to really test freesync in crossfire as everything I already push well above my monitors max freesync range.
Have you tried the G-SYNC Pendulum demo? I tested it and it works with FreeSync. It lets you set custom frame rates as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Update:
ToastyX Wrote:Okay, I got FreeSync working with the Catleap without a splitter. The HDMI support data block trick still works with the RX 480, but for some reason, I have to unplug the monitor from the DVI port and plug it back in before it's detected as HDMI. Then it will let me enable FreeSync. The problem is if I restart the driver or reboot, it goes back to detecting the monitor as DVI and disables FreeSync.

Strangely, this trick does not work on the HDMI port with an HDMI-DVI cable. It is always detected as DVI. This is so frustrating because this is a driver limitation, not a hardware limitation.
10-08-2016, 10:37 PM
(10-08-2016 08:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 05:45 PM)mtrai Wrote:  First world problem is I am having a hard time finding something to really test freesync in crossfire as everything I already push well above my monitors max freesync range.
Have you tried the G-SYNC Pendulum demo? I tested it and it works with FreeSync. It lets you set custom frame rates as well.

Yeah I can see it work in the demos and yeah the gsync one is better IMO even for freesync testing. I want to see real world lol...we don;t always get what we want.
10-09-2016, 03:32 AM
Test results:
ToastyX Wrote:I found a way to show FreeSync is working. I noticed the refresh rate changes are also affecting the mouse cursor. I think this is the most convincing evidence that it's working because the mouse cursor works independently of the demo.

I set the camera's shutter speed to 1/10. As the refresh rate increases, the camera captures more mouse cursor frames in the same amount of time.

With FreeSync on at 35 FPS, it captures 4 mouse cursor frames:
[Image: freesync-on-35.jpg]

With FreeSync on at 45 FPS, it captures 5 mouse cursor frames:
[Image: freesync-on-45.jpg]

With FreeSync on at 60 FPS, it captures 7 mouse cursors frames:
[Image: freesync-on-60.jpg]

With FreeSync off at 35 FPS, it still captures 7 mouse cursors frames:
[Image: freesync-off-35.jpg]

Notice how with FreeSync off, the mouse movement is not affected by the frame rate because the refresh rate does not change.

I also checked with VSync on, and the results did not change.

I have two videos:

With FreeSync on, you can see the gaps between the mouse cursor frames increase as the refresh rate decreases:
https://www.monitortests.com/freesync/freesync-on.mp4

With FreeSync off, the mouse movement does not change, and you can see tearing in the windmill:
https://www.monitortests.com/freesync/freesync-off.mp4

FreeSync really is possible with DVI, and it's working without special hardware on a monitor made in 2012.
10-09-2016, 01:31 PM (Last edited: 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM by Screemer)
(10-09-2016 03:32 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Test results:
ToastyX Wrote:I found a way to show FreeSync is working. I noticed the refresh rate changes are also affecting the mouse cursor. I think this is the most convincing evidence that it's working because the mouse cursor works independently of the demo.

I set the camera's shutter speed to 1/10. As the refresh rate increases, the camera captures more mouse cursor frames in the same amount of time.

With FreeSync on at 35 FPS, it captures 4 mouse cursor frames:
[Image: freesync-on-35.jpg]

With FreeSync on at 45 FPS, it captures 5 mouse cursor frames:
[Image: freesync-on-45.jpg]

With FreeSync on at 60 FPS, it captures 7 mouse cursors frames:
[Image: freesync-on-60.jpg]

With FreeSync off at 35 FPS, it still captures 7 mouse cursors frames:
[Image: freesync-off-35.jpg]

Notice how with FreeSync off, the mouse movement is not affected by the frame rate because the refresh rate does not change.

I also checked with VSync on, and the results did not change.

I have two videos:

With FreeSync on, you can see the gaps between the mouse cursor frames increase as the refresh rate decreases:
https://www.monitortests.com/freesync/freesync-on.mp4

With FreeSync off, the mouse movement does not change, and you can see tearing in the windmill:
https://www.monitortests.com/freesync/freesync-off.mp4

FreeSync really is possible with DVI, and it's working without special hardware on a monitor made in 2012.

Holy shit that sounds great. Die you think you get it working without having to unplug and maintain the function after a restart? That would be so great for all users of korean monitors.

I got a xstar dp2710 which is identical to the gerne common qn2710 by qnix. It sports a samsung panal and not a lg like the catleap. I am going to test it as soon as i get home. Is the hdmi 2.0 datablock needed as well or is the standard hdmi block enough?
10-09-2016, 03:31 PM (Last edited: 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM by mtrai)
(10-09-2016 01:31 PM)Screemer Wrote:  Holy shit that sounds great. Die you think you get it working without having to unplug and maintain the function after a restart? That would be so great for all users of korean monitors.

I got a xstar dp2710 which is identical to the gerne common qn2710 by qnix. It sports a samsung panal and not a lg like the catleap. I am going to test it as soon as i get home. Is the hdmi 2.0 datablock needed as well or is the standard hdmi block enough?

Right now this is still early work on it. The unpluging and re plugging should only be involved with the DVI connection, it may or may not be able to be worked out.

No the HDMI 2.0 data block is not needed but will not hurt to add. My best results has been importing the HDMI block from the main CRU discussions.

Just remember when doing this we are only working with 2 of the 3 parts needed: we have the GPU, most monitors will have at least a somewhat enabled scaler chip already running it ( as I said MOST not all and each scaler might give different results).

We are missing the actual firmware on the monitor and I am not sure if we will ever be able overcome that limitation these days, though might be possible but time will tell. The firmware has the code for the dynamic range aka freesync but the scaler is able to partially do it without it.
10-09-2016, 05:26 PM
(10-09-2016 01:31 PM)Screemer Wrote:  Holy shit that sounds great. Die you think you get it working without having to unplug and maintain the function after a restart? That would be so great for all users of korean monitors.
This is something AMD would need to fix, or the driver would have to be hacked, which wouldn't be easy. All of the monitor redetection methods I tried didn't work with the RX 480. This might not affect all video cards.

(10-09-2016 01:31 PM)Screemer Wrote:  I got a xstar dp2710 which is identical to the gerne common qn2710 by qnix. It sports a samsung panal and not a lg like the catleap. I am going to test it as soon as i get home. Is the hdmi 2.0 datablock needed as well or is the standard hdmi block enough?
You only need the standard HDMI support data block. Keep in mind HDMI limits you to single-link data rates, so keep the maximum refresh rate around 60 Hz. I recommend trying 24-61 Hz so 60 Hz is included.

This is what I have:
[Image: cru-freesync.png]
10-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Thx. Will try it as soon as possible. Do you think that it would work with monitors oc as well? My xstar does around 90hz without any, at least for me, visible brightness variation.
10-09-2016, 07:18 PM
(10-09-2016 06:13 PM)Screemer Wrote:  Thx. Will try it as soon as possible. Do you think that it would work with monitors oc as well? My xstar does around 90hz without any, at least for me, visible brightness variation.
That would require dual-link DVI. HDMI limits you to single-link data rates, so you will not be able to get 90 Hz.
10-09-2016, 09:06 PM
(10-09-2016 07:18 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 06:13 PM)Screemer Wrote:  Thx. Will try it as soon as possible. Do you think that it would work with monitors oc as well? My xstar does around 90hz without any, at least for me, visible brightness variation.
That would require dual-link DVI. HDMI limits you to single-link data rates, so you will not be able to get 90 Hz.
to clear that up. the xstar and qnix are dl-dvi only. there is no hdmi in on those common korean oc monitors. that's why we could get them up to about 120Hz in some cases.

i don't know if i did understand you correctly. if i use the hdmi datablock for my dl-link dvi monitor i am limited to the 3,72 GBit/s of sl-dvi? that would mean that at 1440p the max. refreshrate would be what? 35Hz?