Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-29-2018, 07:21 AM (Last edited: 11-29-2018, 07:23 AM by Airon)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello everybody,

first thank you for your utility It is unique and offers right now where Microsoft has completely removed the properties of the new Intel graphics drivers at least one way here myself manual resolutions to be able to define.

I have only one problem, I use the new DELL U4919DW with a resolution of 5120x1440 @ 60hz. I could still set this resolution Manually with my Surface Pro 4, but with my Surface Pro 6 and the new Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 620 this is not possible any more.

Your utility is so that I can not specify 5120px because then the number appears red and I can not save it.

Can I force or rename this somehow that i can use 5120?

Many Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2018, 12:25 AM
Question (CRU) - How to set up a Yamakasi on Windows 10?
Hi,

First post here! Thanks for writing & supporting CRU, @ToastyX! This looks like exactly what I need to solve the problem I'm having. But apologies in advance, I'm usually self-supporting but I'm really stuck on a monitor sync issue:

Background: Resurrecting an ASUS Z87-PRO (i7-4770K) that's been in storage for a fewl years. It has an EVGA FTW Nvidia 780 graphics card installed with the latest driver connected via DVI (think it's DVI-D but not sure) cable to a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 monitor. The monitor works at 1440p when connected to another machine, so I don't think its a hardware issue.

The HDD was dead in the Z87 so I replaced it with an SSD and installed Windows 10 October-2018 (v1809) and updated all drivers via Windows Update. Among other things update installed a (fairly old version) Nvidia driver for the graphics card which is great but upon reboot I see the POST screen but then just a black screen (green flashing light on Yamakasi monitor).

Understanding this to be a monitor sync issue (the Q270 being non-multisync) I connected a BENQ multisync 1080p monitor on the 2nd DVI port and it works fine. So I have two monitors connected but when I look at Device Manager I only the BENQ 1080p monitor listed under Monitors, not the Yamakasi. I updated the Nvidia graphics driver using the BENQ monitor but that had no effect on the problem.

I found and installed the unsigned driver located here https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...-inf-files Thanks @ToastyX! Now I'm able to set 1440p resolution and the 1080p is able to sync & properly scale that. The monitor is correctly listed as the Catleap monitor listed in the INF file. So the monitor INF file is installed correctly.

Here's the problem: No combination of cable-swapping, safe-mode hacking, rebooting, etc will get the monitor to display in 1440p mode. The best I can get on the Yamakasi monitor is to boot in safe mode which results in 800x600 resolution. I'm totally stuck. Trying out CRU 1.4.1, it doesn't see the monitor, only the BENQ. Which makes sense since it's not listed by Windows as a connected monitor.

I've tried everything, including setting resolution to both 1440p and 800x600 with the BENQ and rebooting with the Yamakasi connected but it always results in a black screen / blinking green LED on the monitor.

How can I use CRU to set the monitor settings if I can't get the monitor to display anything outside of safe mode?

Apologies in advance if this is an answered question; I've been skimming forum posts all day and not finding anything that works.

Is this Win10 / GTX780 / Yamakasi combination just incompatible or is there a solution to getting it going at native resolution?

Thanks in advance for any help @ToastyX or anyone might have!
11-30-2018, 07:11 PM
(11-30-2018 12:25 AM)idiot Wrote:  Is this Win10 / GTX780 / Yamakasi combination just incompatible or is there a solution to getting it going at native resolution?
Something is broken because that monitor should be plug and play. I'm thinking the monitor has a corrupted EDID and the driver is rejecting it, but then you said it works on another machine. Does the other machine have an NVIDIA GPU? If it's a different GPU, the driver might be more lenient. If the driver is rejecting the EDID, it's supposed to be listed as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" in Device Manager and CRU.
11-30-2018, 07:12 PM
(11-29-2018 07:21 AM)Airon Wrote:  I have only one problem, I use the new DELL U4919DW with a resolution of 5120x1440 @ 60hz. I could still set this resolution Manually with my Surface Pro 4, but with my Surface Pro 6 and the new Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 620 this is not possible any more.

Your utility is so that I can not specify 5120px because then the number appears red and I can not save it.

Can I force or rename this somehow that i can use 5120?
You have to use a DisplayID extension block to add resolutions that high, but the monitor should already define 5120x1440 in the EDID, so I'm not sure CRU will have any effect.
11-30-2018, 08:31 PM
(11-30-2018 07:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-30-2018 12:25 AM)idiot Wrote:  Is this Win10 / GTX780 / Yamakasi combination just incompatible or is there a solution to getting it going at native resolution?
Something is broken because that monitor should be plug and play. I'm thinking the monitor has a corrupted EDID and the driver is rejecting it, but then you said it works on another machine. Does the other machine have an NVIDIA GPU? If it's a different GPU, the driver might be more lenient. If the driver is rejecting the EDID, it's supposed to be listed as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" in Device Manager and CRU.

Yep, I've used this monitor on this machine before, most recently about two years ago, without any of these problems. That other machine has a GTX 860 and works fine at 1440p, or at least it did a few weeks ago. And you're right, it is (or was before I installed your Catleap driver) listed as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" before I allowed Windows Update to install the nvidia driver; now it's just not a listed device anywhere, even as an unrecognized device which is really weird.

This weekend I'm going to re-verify the monitor works on the other machine and if so probably try reinstalling Windows from scratch to get back to a known-good configuration.

Before I do all that, do you know of any way of either RDP-ing into the machine or somehow forcing Windows to 1440p without the monitor working? Is there any way to see EDID the monitor is reporting?

Thanks for replying.
12-01-2018, 04:50 PM (Last edited: 12-01-2018, 06:38 PM by Hermie)
Hi
Can't really get the tool to work. I follow the step but when I reach step 7 I can't use my new added resolution.

Also for some reason, I can't set the refresh rate to 144 Hz but only 120. This is fine but why can't I set it higher?
12-03-2018, 01:15 AM
(12-01-2018 04:50 PM)Hermie Wrote:  Hi
Can't really get the tool to work. I follow the step but when I reach step 7 I can't use my new added resolution.

Also for some reason, I can't set the refresh rate to 144 Hz but only 120. This is fine but why can't I set it higher?
You haven't provided enough details. What monitor? What resolution are you trying to add? What video card? How is the monitor connected? DVI? HDMI? DisplayPort?
12-03-2018, 01:15 AM
(11-30-2018 08:31 PM)idiot Wrote:  Before I do all that, do you know of any way of either RDP-ing into the machine or somehow forcing Windows to 1440p without the monitor working? Is there any way to see EDID the monitor is reporting?
If the driver won't even recognize the monitor, I don't see a way to set the resolution. To read the EDID, you'll probably have to use Linux and a tool like edid-rw. You might be able to fix the EDID as well: https://hubpages.com/technology/how-to-r...upted-edid

The first 8 bytes should be 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00. It's likely that's the part that's corrupted.
12-03-2018, 12:45 PM (Last edited: 12-03-2018, 12:49 PM by LibertaGR)
Hi all,

I ve been trying to OC my monitor to no avail.
Specs:
Monitor: Samsung T24E390EW
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conten...1B-ENG.pdf
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8gb Nitro+
Cable: HDMI 1.2
I have tried a lot of several combinations of settings only to be treated by a screen saying "Resolution not supported, change the resolution of the external device"
Anything higher than 61 hz will not work. CRU works because i can see my custom resolution in advanced monitor settings.
Tried even a tiny OC that won't push pixel clock to even 165 mhz where i may need a patcher, changer tdms clock for hdmi to 340 mhz, even 370 mhz, but nothing.
Is my monitor factory locked? I noticed it has a firmware update (1007), nowhere to be found, all site advertise update 1005 as the operating one, so i was thinking they have locked down the monitor?
Any ideas will be appreciated
Edit: Resolution to OC: 1920x1080. When i try to select the standard 1024x 720 75 hz which is supposingly supported, it moves me to 640x480 !
12-04-2018, 12:59 AM
(12-03-2018 12:45 PM)LibertaGR Wrote:  I ve been trying to OC my monitor to no avail.
Specs:
Monitor: Samsung T24E390EW
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conten...1B-ENG.pdf
I wouldn't expect that monitor to support higher refresh rates. Even if it allowed higher refresh rates, monitors with TV inputs usually skip frames at anything higher than 60 Hz. The simpler the monitor, the more likely it is to support higher refresh rates.