Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-18-2018, 12:46 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
CRU only creates EDID overrides, which is a description of what the monitor supports. It doesn't implement any changes. That's up to the driver, so these FreeSync/VSR issues sound like driver bugs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2018, 02:05 PM (Last edited: 11-18-2018, 02:25 PM by Industry)
(10-24-2018 01:56 AM)hutt132 Wrote:  CRU v1.4.1
nvlddmkm-patcher v1.4.3
Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.34
nVidia Driver 416.34

I've been using CRU for years, but now CRU on Windows 10 with nVidia driver 416.34 no longer works.
My custom refresh rate is no longer an option in display adapter properties, even though I've have it set up in CRU: http://puu.sh/BPYEC/9bc49861ff.png

CRU v1.4.1
nvlddmkm-patcher v1.4.3
Windows 10 version 1803
nVidia Driver 416.XX

Same here.
I'm using this sweet little tool for nearly a year and everything worked fine. But recently I ran in problems. Nearly every 416.XX series driver nVidia released (except the 416.16: i didn't try it) doesn't work: No chance in getting higher/other refresh frequencies working in windows display adapter, despite showing up in CRU.
11-18-2018, 10:37 PM (Last edited: 11-18-2018, 10:43 PM by bksi)
Yet another newbie having issues

I have a cranky old HP windows 7 computer (Intel 4600 graphics card) and I'm trying to get an older widescreen monitor to work (resolution 2560X1600, Dell). The computer does not have an HDMI port so I am using the DVI cable.

I've tried using the CRU and the program sees the monitor and the correct resolution yet when I click ok and then run the restart nothing seems to take - monitor is still set at 1600X1200.

According to the Intel Driver Assistant, I have the correct latest driver for the card. Which is weird because I installed a new driver from Microsoft (hoping) and it said it was up to date. Then I backed out of the Microsoft driver and it still says up to date.

Can I get there from here? I can't tell if I must have an HDMI or if I need to overwrite the driver with an older version, newer version, or what.

I've tried the Intel Custommodeapp.exe and it says the bandwidth is too high - I've read online that's because the darn thing just doesn't work.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance
11-19-2018, 01:20 AM
Any clue how to force Nvidia (or AMD) cards to support interlaced resolutions on displayport connections, or possibly make displayport appear as an HDMI connection? You can run interlaced over displayport in Ubuntu with no problems, but there's something blocking them in windows, on both Nvidia and AMD cards.

I'm using a CRT, and I need interlaced resolutions for handful of situations (like running half-vsync at high resolutions). If I hook up my HDMI adapter, I can run interlaced resolutions. But my displayport adapter has a way higher max pixel clock, so it would be much better if I could use that.
11-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Thank You Very Much!
I am just here to convey my eternal gratitude to the maker of CRU.

I have been suffering from random signal loss on my 144Hz monitor and trying to single out the cause. Windows/driver reset didn't work. I switched multiple cables, RMAed graphics card, even changed CPU/motherboard maybe hoping to forget about the issue. None of them worked.

I started to suspect faulty hardware. The monitor is out of warrenty some time ago and living abroad gives me a real headache almost impossible to make the costs reasonable. Local fix shops were also out of hand, too. They didn't have proper components for a monitor that isn't being sold in their domestic market.

Well, I am not an expert on monitor or display, actually any kind of electronic devices. I was hopeless so leaning toward to getting a new one.

Then I found CRU. Seriously I don't know what I was doing but there was nothing else to lose. The monitor has already cost my time and energy too much at that point. I 'matched' those frequencies on Detailed Resolutions between main and extension blocks. I also put FreeSync range on Data Blocks followed as the monitor specification. It was blank at the beginning.

After reboot, the issue has gone like magic. I honestly didn't expect it could solve the problem. I am so happy to be free- I don't care about the pile of DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI-D cables I bought and tried. All the costs I had to pay for the local shops. I am just glad that I just saved this poor monitor.

Please, forgive my poor english and somewhat boring story, but I really really wanted to say think you for the great utility.
11-20-2018, 02:57 AM
(11-18-2018 02:05 PM)Industry Wrote:  I'm using this sweet little tool for nearly a year and everything worked fine. But recently I ran in problems. Nearly every 416.XX series driver nVidia released (except the 416.16: i didn't try it) doesn't work: No chance in getting higher/other refresh frequencies working in windows display adapter, despite showing up in CRU.
I know. The problem is the patcher is no longer effective, and I don't have a new enough NVIDIA card to test the latest drivers. I will be getting a newer card soon, but there's no guarantee I will find a way around this.
(11-18-2018 10:37 PM)bksi Wrote:  I have a cranky old HP windows 7 computer (Intel 4600 graphics card) and I'm trying to get an older widescreen monitor to work (resolution 2560X1600, Dell). The computer does not have an HDMI port so I am using the DVI cable.
2560x1600 monitors require dual-link DVI, but Intel GPUs only support single-link DVI.
(11-19-2018 01:20 AM)CRTFTW Wrote:  Any clue how to force Nvidia (or AMD) cards to support interlaced resolutions on displayport connections, or possibly make displayport appear as an HDMI connection? You can run interlaced over displayport in Ubuntu with no problems, but there's something blocking them in windows, on both Nvidia and AMD cards.
I don't think AMD and NVIDIA care anymore about making interlaced resolutions work besides 1080i50/60 for TVs. You can file bug reports with them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
11-20-2018, 05:36 AM (Last edited: 11-20-2018, 05:37 AM by CRTFTW)
(11-20-2018 02:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't think AMD and NVIDIA care anymore about making interlaced resolutions work besides 1080i50/60 for TVs. You can file bug reports with them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Definitely not holding my breath. My last hope is that the HD Fury 5 will be HDMI 2.0 with a 600mHz DAC or something. I'm actually afraid to file a bug report because I feel like interlaced resolutions are so far from the GPU vendors' minds that they haven't even bothered to remove them (but yeah, it could be the ATSC standard that is keeping them in).

Anyway, just thought I'd check in to see if you had any insight from delving into the drivers. Trying to create interlaced resolutions in Nvidia CP over displayport gives me a "this resolution isn't supported by your monitor" message.
11-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Hello,

first thank you for providing these tools.

I tried to set up a 4K display on an ATI 545v Chip, but it just supports 1920x1080 even with your tools. No problem, the Computer is old, I will get a new one.

Now, after runing CRU and AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher, I can not display mp4 videos anymore. No difference if I use a browser (Edge, Fox, Chrome) or download them first. The screen is either black or green (in a window the video area ist green or black).

Any idea?

Tanks in advance
Jan
From Frankfurt am Main Wink