Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-15-2019, 04:50 AM (Last edited: 10-15-2019, 04:51 AM by dark_chocolate)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, I have a I7-7700HQ (Kaby Lake) and Windows 10. I tried installing the software mentioned for Kaby lake and I got an error while doing it. Is there a new software I need to install to get this working?

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2019, 12:57 PM
(10-15-2019 04:50 AM)dark_chocolate Wrote:  Hi, I have a I7-7700HQ (Kaby Lake) and Windows 10. I tried installing the software mentioned for Kaby lake and I got an error while doing it. Is there a new software I need to install to get this working?
Just try it with the latest driver.
10-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Hey Toasty, I've been using CRU for over a year now and it helps me a lot, thank you. I'm using it on a laptop (MSI GL72 GQD, GTX950m and intel HD 530, i7-6700hq) with a broken screen, with a connected external 120hz monitor. The problem I faced was that most games defaults to 60hz even when desktop was set default to 120hz. My solution was adding a custom resolution below 1280x720 (currently playing on 800x450) and making 120hz the only option for it. However as you might guess it makes games look pretty ugly and sometimes even unplayable. I don't have high hopes for fixing it, but perhaps you have an advise?
10-15-2019, 04:11 PM
(10-15-2019 03:27 PM)Nobelvia Wrote:  Hey Toasty, I've been using CRU for over a year now and it helps me a lot, thank you. I'm using it on a laptop (MSI GL72 GQD, GTX950m and intel HD 530, i7-6700hq) with a broken screen, with a connected external 120hz monitor. The problem I faced was that most games defaults to 60hz even when desktop was set default to 120hz. My solution was adding a custom resolution below 1280x720 (currently playing on 800x450) and making 120hz the only option for it. However as you might guess it makes games look pretty ugly and sometimes even unplayable. I don't have high hopes for fixing it, but perhaps you have an advise?
If you get rid of all the 60 Hz resolutions on the external monitor with CRU, then 60 Hz shouldn't be available at all. If it's a DisplayPort monitor, all you need is one detailed resolution for 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz and no extension blocks or anything else. If it's an HDMI monitor, import hdmi.dat for an HDMI extension block with no resolutions. Then it should use 120 Hz no matter what.
10-16-2019, 03:55 PM (Last edited: 10-16-2019, 03:59 PM by Nobelvia)
(10-15-2019 04:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 03:27 PM)Nobelvia Wrote:  Hey Toasty, I've been using CRU for over a year now and it helps me a lot, thank you. I'm using it on a laptop (MSI GL72 GQD, GTX950m and intel HD 530, i7-6700hq) with a broken screen, with a connected external 120hz monitor. The problem I faced was that most games defaults to 60hz even when desktop was set default to 120hz. My solution was adding a custom resolution below 1280x720 (currently playing on 800x450) and making 120hz the only option for it. However as you might guess it makes games look pretty ugly and sometimes even unplayable. I don't have high hopes for fixing it, but perhaps you have an advise?
If you get rid of all the 60 Hz resolutions on the external monitor with CRU, then 60 Hz shouldn't be available at all. If it's a DisplayPort monitor, all you need is one detailed resolution for 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz and no extension blocks or anything else. If it's an HDMI monitor, import hdmi.dat for an HDMI extension block with no resolutions. Then it should use 120 Hz no matter what.

Okay so I did this like a month ago and it didn't work. One thing I just realized is that when I go 120hz the monitor cuts a lot of colors, an image becomes a lot darker and you can easily define each color when you see a gradient.
Yesterday I properly disconnected the broken internal screen from laptop though, and now external monitor is actually main monitor. I did the hdmi import once again and weird thing happened. After the first restart I only had 120hz option available which is great, but the screen was super glitchy and had artifacts all over it. (Also it seemed to have all the colors, not how I usually see 120hz). I did another restart and it looked like it was fixed. The screen was 120 hz still. I booted up a few games, and they clearly have 120hz now, but for some reason the fps is holding at around 30 frames for some reason (the mouse moves smoothly though).
I'll see what else I can tweak around, but for now it didn't work.

(10-15-2019 04:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
Okay, so I guess three restart do the magic. I was thinking for a while, that disconnecting the broken screen was a solution, but I was too afraid to break the the whole laptop. Thank you again for this tool! Also, is the limited color palette normal? Just in case I'm killing my graphics card or some shit.
10-16-2019, 04:48 PM
(10-16-2019 03:55 PM)Nobelvia Wrote:  Okay, so I guess three restart do the magic. I was thinking for a while, that disconnecting the broken screen was a solution, but I was too afraid to break the the whole laptop. Thank you again for this tool! Also, is the limited color palette normal? Just in case I'm killing my graphics card or some shit.
It shouldn't behave differently between multiple restarts, and the banding you described shouldn't be happening on the GPU's end with HDMI, but it could be happening on the monitor's end. What monitor is this? Keep in mind that HDMI supports RGB 4:4:4 limited/full range and YCbCr 4:2:2/4:4:4, so if your GPU's control panel has an option to set the color format, the monitor might behave differently with different color formats. The color formats might only be available with "LCD native" timing, and the monitor might behave differently with "LCD standard" timing at 120 Hz, which is normally RGB 4:4:4 full range.
10-17-2019, 12:55 AM
(10-16-2019 04:48 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-16-2019 03:55 PM)Nobelvia Wrote:  Okay, so I guess three restart do the magic. I was thinking for a while, that disconnecting the broken screen was a solution, but I was too afraid to break the the whole laptop. Thank you again for this tool! Also, is the limited color palette normal? Just in case I'm killing my graphics card or some shit.
It shouldn't behave differently between multiple restarts, and the banding you described shouldn't be happening on the GPU's end with HDMI, but it could be happening on the monitor's end. What monitor is this? Keep in mind that HDMI supports RGB 4:4:4 limited/full range and YCbCr 4:2:2/4:4:4, so if your GPU's control panel has an option to set the color format, the monitor might behave differently with different color formats. The color formats might only be available with "LCD native" timing, and the monitor might behave differently with "LCD standard" timing at 120 Hz, which is normally RGB 4:4:4 full range.
That's odd. For me it like a loot box. Each time I run a restart it gives me a new thing to look at. Sometime it might me completely odd resolution like 640x480, sometime there is a weird stattering or diagonal line going through the monitor. After like 4th restart it might not work at all and only restarting pc reverts it back to normal.
The monitor is 24" benq xl2411z. I believe it's 144hz, but either my hdmi or videocard can only get it up to a 120hz.
Perhaps this might be a reason?
[Image: hVZEhIH.png]
Often times when I restart it just creates a new profile or something like this.
10-17-2019, 01:13 AM
(10-17-2019 12:55 AM)Nobelvia Wrote:  That's odd. For me it like a loot box. Each time I run a restart it gives me a new thing to look at. Sometime it might me completely odd resolution like 640x480, sometime there is a weird stattering or diagonal line going through the monitor. After like 4th restart it might not work at all and only restarting pc reverts it back to normal.
The monitor is 24" benq xl2411z. I believe it's 144hz, but either my hdmi or videocard can only get it up to a 120hz.
Perhaps this might be a reason?
https://i.imgur.com/hVZEhIH.png
Often times when I restart it just creates a new profile or something like this.
Is this with the latest Intel DCH driver? Some people reported having to copy and paste the settings to both entries to work around odd issues with the DCH driver.
10-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here. I would like to thank ToastyX for creating CRU.

I would also like to share my experience on enabling G-SYNC on an uncertified Freesync monitor.

The monitor in question is an LG 27MP59G (bought it on sale), and after some tweaking I managed to get it working within freesync range of 40-75hz.
I am using a mini-DP to DP 1.2 cable, because I'm on a notebook (Asus GL702VSK), which has as GTX 1070. I turned off the laptop's monitor and use only the LG as the main monitor, and it's been great so far.
The only thing that I could not manage to fix is this: after the monitor goes into standby, when it wakes up again, the EDID override is "forgotten", as G-SYNC stops working. Sometimes using restart.exe or restart64.exe might fix the problem. But the only reliable way of getting it back to work is by restarting Windows.
Another curious observation, which I guess is only relevant to this monitor (before making any modifications with CRU): after going to NVCP and enabling G-SYNC and checking the "display specific settings", I can check that the video card recognizes the monitor as GSYNC by running the pendulum demo. However, when the fps reaches 37, it goes black for about a second and then turns on again when the fps goes above or below 37. This behavior extends to any game I run fullscreen (did not test windowed modes).
The only way to get rid of this behavior was to insert a custom block with the proper Freesync range with CRU. And after that, restarting the system, since restarting the driver only would not work.

https://imgur.com/a/Wj7tFdK

Is there a way to prevent the monitor's EDID override to be forgotten? What I'm doing now is just preventing it from going into standby, by setting a two hour timer in windows power settings.
10-17-2019, 07:20 PM
(10-17-2019 06:21 PM)LG27MP59G Wrote:  Is there a way to prevent the monitor's EDID override to be forgotten? What I'm doing now is just preventing it from going into standby, by setting a two hour timer in windows power settings.
The EDID override should persist unless there's a graphics driver bug. Do you know if that laptop has switchable graphics? If that's the case, you might have to copy and paste the settings to all the inactive entries in the monitor list because it might be switching to the Intel GPU on standby.

The curious thing is why does the monitor have an HDMI data block? It shouldn't need one for DisplayPort. I would get rid of that. The FreeSync data block is also meant for HDMI. Does editing the range limits not work with NVIDIA?