Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-18-2019, 10:38 PM (Last edited: 10-18-2019, 10:44 PM by Kelz)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey everyone.

First of all, I want to thank you for this program, which helped me, but right now I'm in a situation that I can't fix even with this program. The thing is, for years I had a monitor which had stutters and after all the hassle I finally fixed it by choosing CVT reduced blank from Nvidia panel. Since then, I've bought a Full HD 75Hz Freesync monitor but the one which has HDMI and not DP, but that's not the problem. The problem are the stutters which are also occurring on this monitor too (seems like I have a very bad luck with monitors). I did kinda fix it with CRU, I mean no matter what would I choose in CRU settings, it would make it much better than stock settings, but there were still an occasional stutters, but that's with Nvidia. Not a long after, I bough an RX580 for that freesync which is working flawlessly, but that's were the big problems started. First of all, I chose to go with 60hz as with 75hz videos on youtube didn't feel right for me, they weren't as smooth as on 60hz (obviously), but just to quickly point out, 75hz was also stuttering, just a bit less. Now, the issue I have are these stutters which are really bad sometimes and watching videos/playing games is unpleasant (forgot to add, 75hz especially with Freesync is actually smooth and without stutters, but Youtube still stutters). Another problem is that AMD overrides the CRU settings, when I set my own resolution in CRU, AMD control panel still reports the default settings of the monitor, but when I set the same resolution in AMD settings, everything still stutters and this is something I've been battling for a while now and can't fix no matter what I do or choose. So I came here for your advises, maybe someone can point me out to somewhere?

Things I've tried:
Reinstalling Windows
Reinstalling drivers
Turning off Freesync
Different cable
Setting higher minimum clocks

Here are the default values:
[Image: spaHTiH.png]

[Image: juBSZAO.png]

Sorry for a long ass post, I'm just really tired of this problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2019, 12:30 AM
(10-18-2019 10:38 PM)Kelz Wrote:  Now, the issue I have are these stutters which are really bad sometimes and watching videos/playing games is unpleasant (forgot to add, 75hz especially with Freesync is actually smooth and without stutters, but Youtube still stutters). Another problem is that AMD overrides the CRU settings, when I set my own resolution in CRU, AMD control panel still reports the default settings of the monitor, but when I set the same resolution in AMD settings, everything still stutters and this is something I've been battling for a while now and can't fix no matter what I do or choose. So I came here for your advises, maybe someone can point me out to somewhere?
I really need to see a video of the stuttering to understand what's going on. Monitors don't normally stutter at stock settings, and the timing parameters shouldn't affect stuttering, so the problem is likely something else.
10-19-2019, 09:11 AM (Last edited: 10-19-2019, 09:15 AM by Kelz)
(10-19-2019 12:30 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 10:38 PM)Kelz Wrote:  Now, the issue I have are these stutters which are really bad sometimes and watching videos/playing games is unpleasant (forgot to add, 75hz especially with Freesync is actually smooth and without stutters, but Youtube still stutters). Another problem is that AMD overrides the CRU settings, when I set my own resolution in CRU, AMD control panel still reports the default settings of the monitor, but when I set the same resolution in AMD settings, everything still stutters and this is something I've been battling for a while now and can't fix no matter what I do or choose. So I came here for your advises, maybe someone can point me out to somewhere?
I really need to see a video of the stuttering to understand what's going on. Monitors don't normally stutter at stock settings, and the timing parameters shouldn't affect stuttering, so the problem is likely something else.

I did record a video some time ago but strangely stutters were nearly invisible, at least they didn’t look close to being as bad as they are in real life.

Another thing I’ve found is that 1080p videos are actually smooth and stutter free, it’s 2k or 4k videos which are stuttering. This is strange given the fact that my PC is more than capable to run these resolutions. Also, as I said, with my old monitor the fix was to set CVT reduced blanking resolution. With this monitor and Nvidia card I did minimize the stutter by setting the custom resolution in CRU, but with AMD it’s always the same. And can you tell me why CRU can’t override AMD settings? Or is it normal at this point?

Thanks for replying, I will record a video as soon as I get back home.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, youtube doesn’t report any dropped frames even with all the heavy stutters.
10-19-2019, 12:33 PM
(10-19-2019 09:11 AM)Kelz Wrote:  Also, as I said, with my old monitor the fix was to set CVT reduced blanking resolution. With this monitor and Nvidia card I did minimize the stutter by setting the custom resolution in CRU, but with AMD it’s always the same. And can you tell me why CRU can’t override AMD settings? Or is it normal at this point?
Setting "CVT reduced blank" shouldn't affect smoothness. CRU should be able to override with AMD. Make sure the same resolution doesn't exist elsewhere because that might take precedence. Export your CRU configuration to a file and post it here, and post a screen shot of what AMD's control panel shows.
10-19-2019, 01:00 PM (Last edited: 10-19-2019, 01:00 PM by Kelz)
(10-19-2019 12:33 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-19-2019 09:11 AM)Kelz Wrote:  Also, as I said, with my old monitor the fix was to set CVT reduced blanking resolution. With this monitor and Nvidia card I did minimize the stutter by setting the custom resolution in CRU, but with AMD it’s always the same. And can you tell me why CRU can’t override AMD settings? Or is it normal at this point?
Setting "CVT reduced blank" shouldn't affect smoothness. CRU should be able to override with AMD. Make sure the same resolution doesn't exist elsewhere because that might take precedence. Export your CRU configuration to a file and post it here, and post a screen shot of what AMD's control panel shows.

https://youtu.be/SNNynCkzw3U

This is the video which helped me. It indeed fixed all the stutters I had and they were really bad on my older monitor, much worse than my new one. CVT reduced blank did wonders, not a single video stuttered since then and it took me 6 months to fix it. Gaming also got fixed too.

Now about my new one. What do you mean by the same resolution elsewhere? I believe it’s only CRU and AMD control panel that I control resolution with.
10-19-2019, 06:24 PM
(10-19-2019 01:00 PM)Kelz Wrote:  https://youtu.be/SNNynCkzw3U

This is the video which helped me. It indeed fixed all the stutters I had and they were really bad on my older monitor, much worse than my new one. CVT reduced blank did wonders, not a single video stuttered since then and it took me 6 months to fix it. Gaming also got fixed too.
That doesn't make any sense to me. The video doesn't explain how that fixes stutter. Higher vertical blanking should not cause stuttering.

(10-19-2019 01:00 PM)Kelz Wrote:  Now about my new one. What do you mean by the same resolution elsewhere? I believe it’s only CRU and AMD control panel that I control resolution with.
I mean in CRU. Some monitors define the same resolution in multiple places even though it's not necessary. For instance, 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz could be defined as a detailed resolution, standard resolution, detailed resolution in the extension block, and in the TV resolutions data block in the extension block. The first detailed resolution is supposed to take precedence, but make sure it's not defined anywhere else just in case. Also, to get CVT reduced blanking with 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, use "LCD reduced" timing. For any other refresh rate, use "LCD standard" timing.
10-19-2019, 09:16 PM
(10-19-2019 06:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-19-2019 01:00 PM)Kelz Wrote:  https://youtu.be/SNNynCkzw3U

That doesn't make any sense to me. The video doesn't explain how that fixes stutter. Higher vertical blanking should not cause stuttering.

(10-19-2019 01:00 PM)Kelz Wrote:  Now about my new one. What do you mean by the same resolution elsewhere? I believe it’s only CRU and AMD control panel that I control resolution with.
I mean in CRU. Some monitors define the same resolution in multiple places even though it's not necessary. For instance, 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz could be defined as a detailed resolution, standard resolution, detailed resolution in the extension block, and in the TV resolutions data block in the extension block. The first detailed resolution is supposed to take precedence, but make sure it's not defined anywhere else just in case. Also, to get CVT reduced blanking with 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, use "LCD reduced" timing. For any other refresh rate, use "LCD standard" timing.

Thank you for the details. Yes indeed that didn't make sense to me also (thus why I was ignoring the video for a very long time), but I swear it fixed all of the stuttering problems I had, absolutely no placebo because it was really bad, I even bought a new PC just because of that only to find out it was my monitor causing stutters.

I will look into everything you've described and will come back when/if I achieve something. Thank you very much.
10-21-2019, 12:04 PM (Last edited: 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM by Dogway)
I'm unable to set a modeline of 57.52416Hz for a 1080p HDTV (48H6640). I tried like 8 modelines from pixel clock and also LCD Standard preset but the display takes me back to 60Hz after the 15s test mode. Not sure what else I can try.
10-21-2019, 05:19 PM
(10-21-2019 12:04 PM)Dogway Wrote:  I'm unable to set a modeline of 57.52416Hz for a 1080p HDTV (48H6640). I tried like 8 modelines from pixel clock and also LCD Standard preset but the display takes me back to 60Hz after the 15s test mode. Not sure what else I can try.
I don't know what you mean. Windows sets the display back to the previous resolution if you don't confirm the new resolution. Does anything happen during the 15 seconds? If you mean the TV won't display anything or gives an out of range message, it might not support the refresh rate regardless of the timing parameters.
10-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Yes, that's what I fear, is there any kind of guidelines to know what can work and what not, or is it just a matter of trying?