Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-25-2020, 01:59 PM (Last edited: 12-25-2020, 02:10 PM by jarkid)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-25-2020 03:02 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-24-2020 11:50 AM)jarkid Wrote:  1. According to your experience, do you know which blanking setting most manufacturers use? LCD standard or LCD native for 144hz or other RR higher than 60hz?

2. You explained that there's no visual effect between different blanking settings. But the blanking for LCD is the waiting time. If I have a longer blanking, doesn't that mean my screen need more time to response, so that I'd have a lower refresh rate?
1. That depends. Monitors usually use the CVT-RB standard, which is what "LCD standard" uses except for TV resolutions. One exception is 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz monitors, which use non-standard timing parameters to fit within HDMI and dual-link DVI bandwidth. "LCD native" is non-standard, but it happens to match the CEA/CTA standard for 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz, which is what TVs use. The next version of CRU will have separate timing options for TVs.

2. No, the pixel clock is also increased, so the visible (non-blanking) part actually refreshes slightly faster with a longer blanking. The refresh rate remains the same.

Dear ToastyX, thanks for your explanation.

I am using a new monitor right now, and I will observe if the problem would still exist.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2020, 02:20 AM
I was mainly trying to use CRU to enable 7.1 DD+ passthrough ARC from my Samsung Q70 TV. By default, the control panel->sound->Samsung->speaker setup only showed Stereo. But the device properties show it supports DD(5.1) and DD+(7.1), which both should work through ARC (and they do work from the native netflix app on the TV).

So I ran a HDMI cable from a second port on my GFX card to my receiver directly, and looked at that 'monitor' in CRU in the extension block Speaker Setup to see what was checked (that connection allows 7.1 speakers). Then I edited the Samsung in CRU to check those same speakers. Then rebooted.

But this doesn't seem to have had any effect. I also tried exporting those settings as an INF and doing the advanced boot with driver signing disabled, etc. Still didn't do anything... only shows Stereo as an option.

I also tried changing the order of supported formats to move PCM to the bottom and move DD+ to the top, since the TV is still only receiving PCM from the computer. But this also had no effect.

Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong maybe? Thank you!
12-27-2020, 05:51 AM (Last edited: 12-27-2020, 05:52 AM by jarkid)
(12-25-2020 03:02 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-24-2020 11:50 AM)jarkid Wrote:  1. According to your experience, do you know which blanking setting most manufacturers use? LCD standard or LCD native for 144hz or other RR higher than 60hz?

2. You explained that there's no visual effect between different blanking settings. But the blanking for LCD is the waiting time. If I have a longer blanking, doesn't that mean my screen need more time to response, so that I'd have a lower refresh rate?
1. That depends. Monitors usually use the CVT-RB standard, which is what "LCD standard" uses except for TV resolutions. One exception is 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz monitors, which use non-standard timing parameters to fit within HDMI and dual-link DVI bandwidth. "LCD native" is non-standard, but it happens to match the CEA/CTA standard for 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz, which is what TVs use. The next version of CRU will have separate timing options for TVs.

2. No, the pixel clock is also increased, so the visible (non-blanking) part actually refreshes slightly faster with a longer blanking. The refresh rate remains the same.

Hi ToastyX,

I just bought a new 24" IPS monitor with 75hz to test, and here is the default setting which is sought by CRU:
https://imgur.com/a/y5eniuC

The default 75hz setting is in "Standard resolutions".

Unfortunately, the short flickering STILL exists with this monitor when I am running an Android simulator with a specific game.

So I guess the setting uses the LCD standard, too.

Now I created another LCD native setting(longer blanking time for 75hz), and it's all right.

So I guess that the older monitor is not faulty.

This is my desktop enviroment, I am in my windows while the program is running there:
https://imgur.com/a/KYXf8sr

so I am guessing the program just needs more blanking time for the video card
to work perfectly, is that possible?
12-27-2020, 03:14 PM
(12-27-2020 05:51 AM)jarkid Wrote:  so I am guessing the program just needs more blanking time for the video card
No, that's not normal. Something is wrong with the video card then. What does the flickering look like? Are you overclocking the video card at all? Have you tried another cable?
12-27-2020, 03:26 PM
(12-27-2020 02:20 AM)chillly Wrote:  I was mainly trying to use CRU to enable 7.1 DD+ passthrough ARC from my Samsung Q70 TV. By default, the control panel->sound->Samsung->speaker setup only showed Stereo. But the device properties show it supports DD(5.1) and DD+(7.1), which both should work through ARC (and they do work from the native netflix app on the TV).

So I ran a HDMI cable from a second port on my GFX card to my receiver directly, and looked at that 'monitor' in CRU in the extension block Speaker Setup to see what was checked (that connection allows 7.1 speakers). Then I edited the Samsung in CRU to check those same speakers. Then rebooted.

But this doesn't seem to have had any effect. I also tried exporting those settings as an INF and doing the advanced boot with driver signing disabled, etc. Still didn't do anything... only shows Stereo as an option.

I also tried changing the order of supported formats to move PCM to the bottom and move DD+ to the top, since the TV is still only receiving PCM from the computer. But this also had no effect.
"Speaker setup" is informational and doesn't have any effect. The audio formats data block should have AC-3 and E-AC-3. You said the device properties show it supports DD (5.1) and DD+ (7.1), so they should already be available without any changes. What is the resolution for the "monitor" set to? It needs to be a TV resolution like 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz so there's enough blanking to transmit the audio.
12-27-2020, 03:34 PM
(12-27-2020 03:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-27-2020 05:51 AM)jarkid Wrote:  so I am guessing the program just needs more blanking time for the video card
No, that's not normal. Something is wrong with the video card then. What does the flickering look like? Are you overclocking the video card at all? Have you tried another cable?

Dear ToastyX, you are my last resort...

1. The flickering is like this: https://youtu.be/rfGM_hV6UlE?t=49
shortly and occasionally in game or effect other programs outside. It's really annoying.

2. I didn't overclock my video card (AMD RX 570 4GB) in order to reduce the issue.

3. I've tried 3 different HDML cabls including the default one from the unboxing. Even I bought a new 75hz monitor to test, it would still flicker.

I still don't get why my 75hz setting is the standard setting, then it fails with a specific application. But after I changed to LCD native for 75hz, it's all fine like standard 60hz.

Now should I change my card to NVidia indead of AMD RX570 4GB...
12-27-2020, 03:50 PM
(12-27-2020 03:34 PM)jarkid Wrote:  1. The flickering is like this: https://youtu.be/rfGM_hV6UlE?t=49
shortly and occasionally in game or effect other programs outside. It's really annoying.
You said the whole screen flickers. That video only shows flickering in BlueStacks, which would be a problem with the software. I don't see how blanking could affect software like that.
12-27-2020, 06:34 PM (Last edited: 12-27-2020, 06:37 PM by Epic753)
(12-22-2020 02:44 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Yes, I mean the firmware in the monitor could be faulty and making it produce a bad signal that's causing NVIDIA's driver to crash, which would also be a bug in NVIDIA's driver. If it also happens with HDMI, then I would suspect a hardware problem.

I restart64.exe, (CRU not in effect) connected Y27Q20 to RTX 30370 via HDMI 2.1 high speed cable, disconnected DP 1.2/1.4 from RTX3070.

No Intermittent black screen and nvlddmkm fault. So only happens with DP 1.2 or 1.4

I do have beta Lenovo Y27Q20 firmware available and might install, but could also live with 144 hz 8 bit color (still great) until Lenovo releases final firmware version publicly.

Also, from what I can tell DP 1.2 and 1.4 bandwidth is pushing edge of capacity for 1440p 165 hz 10 bit color, etc. So I wonder about that.

Does this mean that the fix leans away from faulty computer hardware and towards Lenovo (or nvidia) firmware and drivers?

Thanks

Thanks
12-27-2020, 09:50 PM
(12-27-2020 06:34 PM)Epic753 Wrote:  Does this mean that the fix leans away from faulty computer hardware and towards Lenovo (or nvidia) firmware and drivers?
Seems like it.
12-27-2020, 11:03 PM
(12-27-2020 03:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-27-2020 02:20 AM)chillly Wrote:  I was mainly trying to use CRU to enable 7.1 DD+ passthrough ARC from my Samsung Q70 TV. By default, the control panel->sound->Samsung->speaker setup only showed Stereo. But the device properties show it supports DD(5.1) and DD+(7.1), which both should work through ARC (and they do work from the native netflix app on the TV).

"Speaker setup" is informational and doesn't have any effect. The audio formats data block should have AC-3 and E-AC-3. You said the device properties show it supports DD (5.1) and DD+ (7.1), so they should already be available without any changes. What is the resolution for the "monitor" set to? It needs to be a TV resolution like 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz so there's enough blanking to transmit the audio.

I'm thinking it's not a matter of support but more of a matter of getting Windows to send DD instead of PCM, which may not be a EDID issue. I'm at 4k but I can send 4k@60 through my receiver and games sends 7.1 PCM fine if I configure that 'monitor' as 7.1 speakers (which it has the option to). But I know my TV can't send 7.1 PCM back through ARC, so need it to encode it. And I'm running freesync to the TV. When I'm playing a movie or something from like Kodi that starts with a DD signal, it will passthrough ok.