Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-14-2021, 03:12 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-14-2021 02:52 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  So I just added 2 extra refresh rates to my 1440p 165 Hz monitor (90 and 144, to be exact) with the application. The monitor was at 165 Hz refresh on the desktop, and I did not change anything about the current refresh I was running, just the registry entries for the mentioned future refresh rates under "Detailed Resolutions". I've done this before on different monitors and machines, with zero problems.

When prompted, I restarted my computer to have these resolutions logged, as I've done before. Big mistake, as I'm now given a black screen on boot and can't get rid of it.

What happened here? How did adding these registry entries affect my boot refresh rate and resolution? Why am I locked out?
What monitor and GPU? You can run reset-all.exe in safe mode to reset everything.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2021, 03:13 AM
(03-13-2021 10:39 PM)Grecian2000 Wrote:  All it shows in the "Extension blocks" section is:

CTA-861: 3 detailed resolutions, 7 data blocks
Default extension block
That's two extension blocks. Read the section about extension blocks in the first post, especially the NVIDIA-specific notes.
03-14-2021, 03:53 AM (Last edited: 03-14-2021, 03:55 AM by XAGMNINETY)
(03-14-2021 03:12 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-14-2021 02:52 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  So I just added 2 extra refresh rates to my 1440p 165 Hz monitor (90 and 144, to be exact) with the application. The monitor was at 165 Hz refresh on the desktop, and I did not change anything about the current refresh I was running, just the registry entries for the mentioned future refresh rates under "Detailed Resolutions". I've done this before on different monitors and machines, with zero problems.

When prompted, I restarted my computer to have these resolutions logged, as I've done before. Big mistake, as I'm now given a black screen on boot and can't get rid of it.

What happened here? How did adding these registry entries affect my boot refresh rate and resolution? Why am I locked out?
What monitor and GPU? You can run reset-all.exe in safe mode to reset everything.

Hey man, thanks for the prompt reply. I was actually going to edit this post with an update, but since you've already replied, I'll post it here.

The monitor is a Dell S3220DGF, 2560x1440 @ 164 Hz. The GPU is a Gigabyte AORUS XTREME GTX 1080 Ti, connected to the monitor with a DisplayPort 1.4 cable.

I did manage to boot into safe mode and was able to reset the EDID profiles. What I've found out is that for some reason, I am unable to add any Detailed Resolutions to the registry at all. Whether it be in the "Detailed Resolution" section or in a CTA-861 block, attempting to add any refresh rate at all (in my test case, 2560x1440 @144 Hz, Automatic PC Timing) in either block leads to a permanent black screen, which leads me to manually boot into Safe Mode.

As I said previously, it's important to note that I'm not attempting to change the resolution or refresh at all. Regardless of this, it still behaves strangely and locks me out completely.

Here's a link to what the vanilla settings are for CRU when ran from a clean slate:

CRU Issue

Thanks in advance for your help.
03-14-2021, 09:46 PM
(03-14-2021 03:13 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 10:39 PM)Grecian2000 Wrote:  All it shows in the "Extension blocks" section is:

CTA-861: 3 detailed resolutions, 7 data blocks
Default extension block
That's two extension blocks. Read the section about extension blocks in the first post, especially the NVIDIA-specific notes.

Many thanks, got it working! I was too nervous to delete the default extension block, it freaked me out a bit. If only Acer fixed the data coming from the monitor in the first place... Thanks for your support!
03-15-2021, 10:24 AM
(03-13-2021 01:44 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 12:17 AM)joevt Wrote:  If the Registry changes made by CRU don't work with a display connected to an MST hub, then maybe I can use Monitor Asset Manager (moninfo.exe) to create a display override.
That's the same as using CRU, and CRU can export .inf files too. It must be a bug in the driver. Does switching GPU scaling on and off make the resolutions appear?
Switching GPU scaling on and off appears to have no affect on this issue.

I checked the registry. CRU appears to be creating an EDID_OVERRIDE for the specific port of the W5700 that the XV273K display is connected to. I can move the XV273K to each port and create a unique EDID for each (different display name for each port). CRU lists the EDID for the current port as active. It also lists the EDIDs for the other 5 ports (not active).

Each port of the W5700 has a different "device instance path" that the display uses (viewable in the Device Manager device properties for the display). The system (and CRU) seems to think that the Device instance path is the same whether the display is connected directly to the W5700 or to a MST Hub connected to the same port. Maybe the AMD driver disagrees with that device instance path when the display is connected to an MST hub?

The device instance path points to the registry under this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

The device instance path for port 1 is:
DISPLAY\ACR06B1\7&aeaadc9&0&UID1024

The device instance path for port 2 to 6 are similar but replace 1024 with these numbers: 1028, 1032, 1036, 1040, 1044

CRU's EDID_OVERRIDE is under each device instance path at:
Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE

CRU appears to be able to export an .inf file that might (I haven't tried it yet) apply to the display no matter what port it's connected to but I don't know how to install it since it gives an error "The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information." I wonder if CRU could be made to export a .reg file that I can import with the Registry Editor?

If there is a registry path that applies to the display no matter the port it's connected to, then wouldn't it be useful for CRU to be able to edit the EDID_OVERRIDE there (without having to use .inf or .reg)?
03-15-2021, 06:26 PM
(03-15-2021 10:24 AM)joevt Wrote:  CRU appears to be able to export an .inf file that might (I haven't tried it yet) apply to the display no matter what port it's connected to but I don't know how to install it since it gives an error "The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information." I wonder if CRU could be made to export a .reg file that I can import with the Registry Editor?

If there is a registry path that applies to the display no matter the port it's connected to, then wouldn't it be useful for CRU to be able to edit the EDID_OVERRIDE there (without having to use .inf or .reg)?
There isn't a path that applies to all instances. You have to disable driver signature enforcement to install an .inf file without a signature. I have instructions here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...-inf-files
03-15-2021, 06:26 PM
(03-14-2021 03:53 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  I did manage to boot into safe mode and was able to reset the EDID profiles. What I've found out is that for some reason, I am unable to add any Detailed Resolutions to the registry at all. Whether it be in the "Detailed Resolution" section or in a CTA-861 block, attempting to add any refresh rate at all (in my test case, 2560x1440 @144 Hz, Automatic PC Timing) in either block leads to a permanent black screen, which leads me to manually boot into Safe Mode.
Is the computer locked up when you get the black screen (does the caps lock light work)? Try deleting the HDMI support data block in the extension block.
03-15-2021, 07:02 PM
Guys I have a laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H CPU (so integrated AMD GPU) but CRU does not work whatsoever while I'm using this GPU. Whenever I switch to Nvidia GPU, it works. So integrated AMD GPU is not supported?
03-15-2021, 08:25 PM
(03-15-2021 07:02 PM)SPeaky Wrote:  Guys I have a laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H CPU (so integrated AMD GPU) but CRU does not work whatsoever while I'm using this GPU. Whenever I switch to Nvidia GPU, it works. So integrated AMD GPU is not supported?
Integrated AMD GPUs work when it's the only GPU. I haven't seen a system with AMD+NVIDIA switchable graphics, so I don't know if that works. Usually it's Intel+NVIDIA.
03-16-2021, 08:42 PM (Last edited: 03-16-2021, 08:51 PM by XAGMNINETY)
(03-15-2021 06:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-14-2021 03:53 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  I did manage to boot into safe mode and was able to reset the EDID profiles. What I've found out is that for some reason, I am unable to add any Detailed Resolutions to the registry at all. Whether it be in the "Detailed Resolution" section or in a CTA-861 block, attempting to add any refresh rate at all (in my test case, 2560x1440 @144 Hz, Automatic PC Timing) in either block leads to a permanent black screen, which leads me to manually boot into Safe Mode.
Is the computer locked up when you get the black screen (does the caps lock light work)? Try deleting the HDMI support data block in the extension block.

From what I remember, the CAPS lock light still did work when the screen when black. I just had no screen whatsoever.

Could the HDMI data block be interfering with DisplayPort output? I'll delete the HDMI block and get back to you.

(03-15-2021 06:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Got it. The silly HDMI data block was the issue. I now have all of my refresh rates I need for my display. Thanks again.