Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-10-2022, 02:05 PM (Last edited: 12-10-2022, 02:10 PM by Carnage6)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-09-2022 11:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 02:57 AM)Carnage6 Wrote:  I added before and after using the program.
You need to install NVIDIA's driver for CRU to work and to get the correct resolutions, and "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" usually means there's a problem with the EDID, possibly because some bits got corrupted in the EEPROM, which can happen sometimes with older monitors.

When you say installing NVIDIA's driver bricks the system, do you mean the system won't boot, or do you mean the monitor won't display anything? If it boots but the monitor won't display anything with the driver installed, the EDID might be invalid. If that's the case, the easiest workaround is to use a different port on the monitor because that will have a different EDID.

Well even if I cut out all the extras and just choose to install the drivers this happens. After the first time the monitor flashes to black during the install Windows comes up with a message saying "Windows encountered a problem and needs to close". Then Windows repairs itself and if I try to install again same problem. Never ending loop.
Also, here is the link to my monitor driver software which doesn't seem to actually have an executable program in it:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-E2250V-SN.AUS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2022, 09:12 PM
(12-10-2022 02:05 PM)Carnage6 Wrote:  Well even if I cut out all the extras and just choose to install the drivers this happens. After the first time the monitor flashes to black during the install Windows comes up with a message saying "Windows encountered a problem and needs to close". Then Windows repairs itself and if I try to install again same problem. Never ending loop.
Also, here is the link to my monitor driver software which doesn't seem to actually have an executable program in it:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-E2250V-SN.AUS
Then the video card is defective, or the driver is choking on a broken EDID. You shouldn't need to do anything special to get the monitor to work other than installing NVIDIA's driver, and if you can't install the driver, that often indicates a hardware problem. You don't need LG's monitor driver to get the correct resolutions.
12-12-2022, 01:40 AM
My use case is a VM I have with an Nvidia GPU passthrough, it's an older Quadro P2000. It works fine. I connect to it via Moonlight to use Gamestream on my iPad 12.9" Pro. I use it for remote work but also some gaming and video stuff. It works pretty good. I currently have an LG 32'' UltraGear FHD 165Hz HDR10 Monitor with G-SYNC hooked up to it.

I used CRU to add my custom resolution to get native on the iPad which is 2732x2048 and 120hz. I have that working as well.

My issues was when I tried to start using a dummy plug. I only have display port and I tried a couple of them now from Amazon. I can add all the same settings in there but the resolutions don't show. I assume it's because they are showing as single lane and the resolutions and hz just don't work on them.

You have to have a monitor active for Gamestream to work. So for now I just leave the monitor on behind a server rack that runs my proxmox cluster, seems like just a waste of power and a monitor.

Any ideas?
12-14-2022, 03:01 PM
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  [*]Passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapters are limited to 165 MHz unless the driver is patched.
Hi,

I'm trying to get a resolution of 3072x1728 @ 30 Hz to run via an old passive DisplayPort to HDMI cable on Intel UHD Graphics, but so far to no avail.

The cable is limited to 165 MHz, but even a 163.80 MHz configuration of said resolution, as calculated using your Pixel Clock Calculator, won't be displayed.

I've tried several manual blanking settings, but the resolution just won't appear in the Windows Display Settings pull-down menu. It will work at 24 or 25 Hz, though, so there seems to something other than the cable's bandwith limit to be limiting the reported output capabilities.

Do you know a solution to this?

I was able to successfully establish 3008x1728 @ 30 Hz as the highest resolution on this cable, but I believe a bit more should be possible with regards to the reported bandwidth requirements.

Real Phobo
12-16-2022, 03:04 AM
(12-14-2022 03:01 PM)Real Phobo Wrote:  I'm trying to get a resolution of 3072x1728 @ 30 Hz to run via an old passive DisplayPort to HDMI cable on Intel UHD Graphics, but so far to no avail.

The cable is limited to 165 MHz, but even a 163.80 MHz configuration of said resolution, as calculated using your Pixel Clock Calculator, won't be displayed.

I've tried several manual blanking settings, but the resolution just won't appear in the Windows Display Settings pull-down menu. It will work at 24 or 25 Hz, though, so there seems to something other than the cable's bandwith limit to be limiting the reported output capabilities.

Do you know a solution to this?

I was able to successfully establish 3008x1728 @ 30 Hz as the highest resolution on this cable, but I believe a bit more should be possible with regards to the reported bandwidth requirements.
I don't know what limits Intel's driver has because I've mainly only used AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs. AMD's driver will listen to the pixel clock limit in the range limits descriptor if there is one, so maybe it was set to 160 MHz because it must be a multiple of 10 MHz and Intel's driver is still enforcing that even though CRU doesn't include it by default except for FreeSync monitors. Check the "Edit..." button at the top and try including the range limits with the pixel clock set to 170 MHz. AMD's driver also ignores resolutions with less than 56 horizontal blanking, so maybe Intel's driver has its own blanking limits. Another possibility is the pixel clock limit for Intel GPUs might be different when using an adapter, or maybe there is a megapixel limit of some sort.
12-16-2022, 03:05 AM
(12-12-2022 01:40 AM)dkmcgowan Wrote:  My use case is a VM I have with an Nvidia GPU passthrough, it's an older Quadro P2000. It works fine. I connect to it via Moonlight to use Gamestream on my iPad 12.9" Pro. I use it for remote work but also some gaming and video stuff. It works pretty good. I currently have an LG 32'' UltraGear FHD 165Hz HDR10 Monitor with G-SYNC hooked up to it.

I used CRU to add my custom resolution to get native on the iPad which is 2732x2048 and 120hz. I have that working as well.

My issues was when I tried to start using a dummy plug. I only have display port and I tried a couple of them now from Amazon. I can add all the same settings in there but the resolutions don't show. I assume it's because they are showing as single lane and the resolutions and hz just don't work on them.

You have to have a monitor active for Gamestream to work. So for now I just leave the monitor on behind a server rack that runs my proxmox cluster, seems like just a waste of power and a monitor.

Any ideas?
I was going to say you would have better luck with an HDMI 2.0 dummy plug, but the Quadro P2000 doesn't have HDMI 2.0. If the refresh rate doesn't affect Gamestream, you can add very low refresh rates to keep the pixel clock below whatever the limit is for the dummy plug. Another possibility is try enabling DSR in the NVIDIA control panel's 3D settings to get higher resolutions added if DSR is available with the P2000.
12-16-2022, 09:46 AM
(12-16-2022 03:04 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't know what limits Intel's driver has because I've mainly only used AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs. AMD's driver will listen to the pixel clock limit in the range limits descriptor if there is one, so maybe it was set to 160 MHz because it must be a multiple of 10 MHz and Intel's driver is still enforcing that even though CRU doesn't include it by default except for FreeSync monitors. Check the "Edit..." button at the top and try including the range limits with the pixel clock set to 170 MHz. AMD's driver also ignores resolutions with less than 56 horizontal blanking, so maybe Intel's driver has its own blanking limits. Another possibility is the pixel clock limit for Intel GPUs might be different when using an adapter, or maybe there is a megapixel limit of some sort.
I tried setting it to 29 Hz to get to the core of all that, and here's what happened: The driver crashed, and the Intel UHD Graphics was automatically disabled by the OS. After a reboot, it is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver.

Now, here's what's funny: This whole thing killed the HDMI audio channels and freed up some bandwidth. Using a proper DP cable (normally giving me 4K60 with audio), I am now able to get 4K72 out of this, and using the passive DP-to-HDMI cable, I am still getting 4K30 (w/o audio) without any further tweaking.

Still not sure what to make of it, though. The monitor's OSD reports 67.4 kHz which is a lot more than the previously reported 52~53 kHz. The input itself is limited to 90 kHz and 300 MHz per EDID, and since a 4K resolution has to be higher than 165 MHz, the 165 MHz limitation seems to be solely on the driver side.
12-17-2022, 11:05 PM
Hey ToastyX!

Thanks so much for all you do with this amazing tool. I've been using CRU for years to push my Freesync display a little bit higher (75Hz -> 85Hz) and I have a profile that has worked very well for both AMD and Nvidia cards over the years.

I switched back to AMD last night, and since I'm using a new card I'm stuck with driver 22.12.1. I loaded my usual profile and it's not reflected in Windows at all. The system actually seems to be completely ignoring CRU.

I've reinstalled the driver, exported my profile as an INF, rebooted into unsigned mode, and installed it, exported as an executable to apply it system wide, and tried the pixel clock patch. Nothing seems to work - any change I make in CRU, no matter how minor, is just utterly ignored by the driver, and by Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
X
12-18-2022, 05:03 AM (Last edited: 12-18-2022, 05:04 AM by fryderyk)
(12-17-2022 11:05 PM)Xocet Wrote:  Hey ToastyX!

Thanks so much for all you do with this amazing tool. I've been using CRU for years to push my Freesync display a little bit higher (75Hz -> 85Hz) and I have a profile that has worked very well for both AMD and Nvidia cards over the years.

I switched back to AMD last night, and since I'm using a new card I'm stuck with driver 22.12.1. I loaded my usual profile and it's not reflected in Windows at all. The system actually seems to be completely ignoring CRU.

I've reinstalled the driver, exported my profile as an INF, rebooted into unsigned mode, and installed it, exported as an executable to apply it system wide, and tried the pixel clock patch. Nothing seems to work - any change I make in CRU, no matter how minor, is just utterly ignored by the driver, and by Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
X

Same driver version, same result as yours.
12-18-2022, 09:31 PM
Hi when i do all the steps at the end my monitors starts glitching the screen just goes crazy idk how to fix it pls help