Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-19-2022, 04:29 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
So I got my new 7900XT GPU. I have always used CRU. I'm on the only drivers currently out for the 7 series which is 22.12.1 I have ran the setup utility as I always do, and do the restart. But CRU is not working. Windows does not take my Free Sync range. I always put 30-175 based on my monitor which is the Alienware OLED AW3423DW. I tried running the setup several times and nothing worked. And it does the restart, it does look like it's working the screen flickers like normal then goes back to normal. But when I checked Free Sync range in the AMD control panel it still reposts it as 1-175. Is CRU not supported with the new 7 series GPU's from AMD or is it simply the new driver from AMD that is causing this issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2022, 05:18 PM
Report EDID overrides not working with RX 7900 GPUs to AMD using their bug report tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

Check if toggling GPU scaling in AMD's software causes the EDID override to load.
12-19-2022, 05:26 PM
Hi Toastyx, First off thanks for this great utility and the hard work you pun into it. It's been a lifesaver to a lot of people. 2nd I send the bug report. And 3rd I did try enabling GPU scaling but that didn't work. It looks like it's going to work with the flickering and all, but then it does nothing in the AMD control panel. Is this something that only AMD can fix with a driver update?
12-19-2022, 05:30 PM
(12-19-2022 05:26 PM)farp96 Wrote:  Hi Toastyx, First off thanks for this great utility and the hard work you pun into it. It's been a lifesaver to a lot of people. 2nd I send the bug report. And 3rd I did try enabling GPU scaling but that didn't work. It looks like it's going to work with the flickering and all, but then it does nothing in the AMD control panel. Is this something that only AMD can fix with a driver update?
Yes, it's up to the driver to implement EDID overrides. CRU is merely an editor.
12-19-2022, 05:34 PM
AW ok got it Thanks :-) so then it could just be a slip up on AMD's part with not being able to edit the EDID of these new drivers? Has something like this happen before with previous drivers?
12-19-2022, 05:48 PM
(12-19-2022 05:34 PM)farp96 Wrote:  AW ok got it Thanks :-) so then it could just be a slip up on AMD's part with not being able to edit the EDID of these new drivers? Has something like this happen before with previous drivers?
Probably an oversight or unfinished implementation. There was a driver before (17.2.1) that wouldn't load EDID overrides on boot, but toggling GPU scaling worked around that. AMD fixed that in 17.4.1. I haven't seen a lack of EDID overrides with new GPUs before.
12-19-2022, 05:53 PM
OK then maybe because this is a brand new driver only for the new 7 series cards it was on oversight on there part, thanks again for the input...
12-19-2022, 06:53 PM
Bug report filed. Thanks ToastyX!
12-19-2022, 09:51 PM
hey @toasty
in the freesync Block are HDR metadata and infos for Freesync Premium Pro displays (shows 19byte)
if you add a new freesync block its only about 9bytes

are you able to read and edit this informations?
12-20-2022, 05:19 PM
(12-19-2022 09:51 PM)blackfirehawk Wrote:  hey @toasty
in the freesync Block are HDR metadata and infos for Freesync Premium Pro displays (shows 19byte)
if you add a new freesync block its only about 9bytes

are you able to read and edit this informations?
I don't know how to read that information.