Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-03-2023, 02:17 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-30-2023 02:04 PM)IHateFlickering Wrote:  Hello all. I wanted to create an account to post a comment on here. I have a freesync IPS panel monitor + AMD gpu and have been experiencing flickering for days now and I am absolutely at my whit's end about it. I have downloaded this CRU software and tinkered with tons of settings, tried upping the lower end of the freesync range, lowering the lower end of the freesync range, and lowering the upper end of the freesync range etc, but honestly I don't know what the hell I am doing. I came to post this comment to ask for your help, Toasty. You are quite obviously an expert in this field. If you are willing to work with me personally over email or something like that to help get my flickering under control, I would be willing to paypal you $20 right now and then an additional $20 (or more if you want) if you were able to eliminate the flickering. I am just so absolutely at my whit's end at this point and not able to spend one more second on this issue. If you are not willing to do this then I will accept the flickering and will simply not use freesync ever again. Thank you so much for your help and consideration
Flickering is usually either a signal quality problem such as a bad cable or loose connection, or a design flaw in the monitor. If the cable is fine, then return the monitor and get a different model that works correctly. FreeSync should not flicker, and you shouldn't have to do workarounds to get it working correctly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2023, 02:17 AM
(04-01-2023 01:55 PM)amac Wrote:  1. It it possible to only eliminate the bad columns on the left side (I haven't played with horizontal left/right porch yet). I'm not sufficiently familiar with the terminology of many of the values that can be changed
No.

(04-01-2023 01:55 PM)amac Wrote:  2. Most problematic is that I play some older games on this laptop. Some of them do not like the custom resolution and misbehave or seem to ignore it and so I see some of the damaged pixels again.

Any recommendations to avoid these issues?
Normally for an external monitor you would delete the native resolution and make the custom resolution the first detailed resolution, but you can't do that with a laptop screen because it doesn't have a scaler, so the custom resolution won't display correctly without GPU scaling, and you need the native resolution to exist for GPU scaling to work correctly.
04-04-2023, 12:09 AM
(08-01-2022 11:26 PM)juanme555 Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 03:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 03:55 AM)juanme555 Wrote:  If i buy a GTX 980 , 980Ti or GTX Titan X (Maxwell) , could i be able to use interlaced resolutions with DVI-I to VGA adapter?? in Windows 11??? and also, do you think the Intel ARC Alchemist gpus will support interlaced resolutions on CRT's if hdmi vga converter is used?
You should be able to, but I haven't tried that particular configuration. I can create interlaced resolutions with a GTX 1060 in Windows 10 when using DVI or HDMI. I don't know about Intel.

DAMN! GTX 10 series support Interlaced???

Thank you so much Toasty, you give me a lot to think about, i'll let you know how it goes when i pull the trigger.

Ok, so i have been using a GTX 980Ti with native analog (dvi-i to VGA pin adapter) hooked to my CRT , Syncmaster 997MB.

I was able to make CSGO run on fullscreen with interlaced resolution, and GTA4 too, GTA4 on 1680x1050i 160hz has been an absolute luxury to play, one of my childhood's dream come true.

For more modern games, if anyone wants to use Interlaced, you'll usually have to use fullscreen windowed.

The best examples are Resident Evil 7 and Batman Arkham Knight.

All in all, if you run your game and your desktop on the same resolution, you can make the game run on fullscreen with interlaced that way, assuming you set your desktop to the desired interlaced resolution, but sometimes you wont be able to, in those cases, you'll need to run the game on full-screen windowed and then run an interlaced desktop.
04-04-2023, 06:07 PM
i would like to use a tv as monitor the screen is too big can i do this with CRU? I would like the full screen to be just a part of the screen shifted to the bottom left
https://i.imgur.com/iMVQ09M.jpeg
04-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Hi Toasty,

Thanks for making this program. I am yet another user plagued by the 27GR95QE-B LG 27in OLED 240 Hz monitor locking me into 4k @ 120Hz. I tried deleting the TV resolutions that are 4k, but when I tab out and back into my fullscreen game it reverts back to 4k @ 120. Any idea why its able to do that? Am I missing a step? Does it matter that multiple monitors are plugged in right now?

Thanks again,
Skip
04-05-2023, 04:52 PM
(04-04-2023 06:17 PM)skipshot Wrote:  Thanks for making this program. I am yet another user plagued by the 27GR95QE-B LG 27in OLED 240 Hz monitor locking me into 4k @ 120Hz. I tried deleting the TV resolutions that are 4k, but when I tab out and back into my fullscreen game it reverts back to 4k @ 120. Any idea why its able to do that? Am I missing a step? Does it matter that multiple monitors are plugged in right now?
Then you didn't delete all the 4K resolutions.
04-05-2023, 04:53 PM
(04-04-2023 06:07 PM)BuciodeCulo Wrote:  i would like to use a tv as monitor the screen is too big can i do this with CRU? I would like the full screen to be just a part of the screen shifted to the bottom left
https://i.imgur.com/iMVQ09M.jpeg
No, CRU doesn't deal with scaling or positioning. That's up to the GPU or monitor, which normally only offer centering.
04-06-2023, 12:26 PM (Last edited: 04-06-2023, 12:28 PM by Mussels)
(04-03-2023 02:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 04:55 AM)Mussels Wrote:  * Some combinations allow 10 bit colour while others don't - is there any way to know what the limit is there? Does it just need X bandwidth spare?
That would depend on the bandwidth available. Pixel clock limit would be <pixel clock limit> * 8 / <bpc>, so like DisplayPort HBR2 would be 720 MHz * 8 / 10 bpc = 576 MHz, and HDMI 2.0 would be 600 MHz * 8 / 10 = 480 MHz. You might need to go a few MHz lower with NVIDIA for some reason. If that doesn't work, then it's purely a driver or GPU limitation.

(03-30-2023 04:55 AM)Mussels Wrote:  1. Is there any recommended settings to adjust like the horizontal rate in the Gsync/Vsync settings? - i've seen no guides mention this, other than one standalone post from ToastyX to state keeping it at a static value

Horizontal rate in the range limits doesn't matter and isn't used for anything as far as I know. Variable refresh rate uses the maximum refresh rate's timing parameters as the base.

(03-30-2023 04:55 AM)Mussels Wrote:  2. Is that tearing me putting the wrong porch/sync width settings in, or is that just the limit of the display? I've tried the different preset profiles and some random adjustments, but no luck improving that.

Tearing example:
https://imgur.com/a/A3oD2Px (it moves up and down depending on screen content/brightness)

Edit: Okay this ones dumb yet weird. It was Fast vsync being enabled, despite the game being DX12 causing the flicker. I reset all monitor settings to default and the problem still existed, leading to finding out that fast vsync was the issue somehow. Go figure?
That's weird. I would have thought that was a monitor limitation. That sounds like a driver bug.
Thanks, that math is beyond my abilities, but gave me guidelines to work within

I assume it's because the game can run DX11 or DX12, it's accidentally forced a DX11 only setting onto the game, when enabled.

Is it worth expanding the porch settings/blanking if i cant do large steps?
Is there a math behind it to make it only useful in certain combinations, or just go as high as it allows?
04-06-2023, 11:55 PM
(04-06-2023 12:26 PM)Mussels Wrote:  Thanks, that math is beyond my abilities, but gave me guidelines to work within

I assume it's because the game can run DX11 or DX12, it's accidentally forced a DX11 only setting onto the game, when enabled.

Is there a math behind it to make it only useful in certain combinations, or just go as high as it allows?
You shouldn't need to increase the blanking. That would use more bandwidth. Horizontal values are usually a multiple of 8, but there's no technical restriction from using any combination of values. None of this should affect the bit depth or fast sync, so this seems like something GPU-specific.
04-07-2023, 04:18 AM (Last edited: 04-07-2023, 04:49 AM by Mussels)
(04-06-2023 11:55 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-06-2023 12:26 PM)Mussels Wrote:  Thanks, that math is beyond my abilities, but gave me guidelines to work within

You shouldn't need to increase the blanking. That would use more bandwidth. Horizontal values are usually a multiple of 8, but there's no technical restriction from using any combination of values. None of this should affect the bit depth or fast sync, so this seems like something GPU-specific.

Sorry, Working on two seperate issues there
Being VA panels they have some smearing and while i can use CVT-RB2 and get 10 bit, i notice more of that black smearing - so i'm working on the various options to see what works best.
I was trying to figure out the highest bandwidth that gave me 10 bit without just raising values in increments, but also didnt want to waste time if i raised the wrong value or the display tech simply doesnt work that way.

I'm exploring what the display(s) can do, so i can pick the one that works best for me overall - They have amazing 2D quality, but the default settings had extremely bad smearing of black and magenta, and Gsync flicker.
Magenta smearing was only fixed with the colour profile of the LG display (worked on all my VA panels in the house, fantastic help there), black was fixed by lowering displays contrast setting (this also removes a flicker issue on the LG, but none of the others)

Gsync was just by reducing the range, but when games like borderlands have all in-game cutscenes at 30FPS boosting to 60Hz was damned helpful on the eyes, even in a small 50-65 range.

70Hz no Gsync had frameskips, so that was out.

65Hz 10 bit Gsync works great, with a 63FPS cap and a 50-63 range it's working well except light flicker in load screens - but certain things like the black outlines in borderlands seems to struggle with trails at times (when the display is cold, seems part of it) hence wondering if i should ditch 10 bit and increase the blanking, but i'm unsure which values to increase - front, back, total, as high as it goes or specific values, etc.

As an example i tried raising that 67 by 2x (worked, lost 10 bit) and 3x (no image)

Edit:
Sigh, noticed Gsync was stuck at 63Hz instead of 65. Discovered an un-deleteable Nvidia custom resolutions that i'd used for testing were stuck and some games/titles chose those, over the higher resolution default for no reason. I hate when bugs screw with testing and make it need to all be re-done. Found them in regedit, deleted, now i get to re-test.