Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-13-2023, 12:43 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-07-2023 04:18 AM)Mussels Wrote:  Sorry, Working on two seperate issues there
Being VA panels they have some smearing and while i can use CVT-RB2 and get 10 bit, i notice more of that black smearing - so i'm working on the various options to see what works best.
I was trying to figure out the highest bandwidth that gave me 10 bit without just raising values in increments, but also didnt want to waste time if i raised the wrong value or the display tech simply doesnt work that way.
Blanking wouldn't affect smearing, which is caused by the slow pixel response times of VA panels. Each pixel is updated at a fixed interval based on the refresh rate regardless of the blanking. Changing settings like contrast and color profiles can change what shades are affected by smearing, but that just shifts the smearing to a different set of colors.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2023, 07:17 AM (Last edited: 04-13-2023, 07:19 AM by endao2)
(04-13-2023 12:41 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-12-2023 09:53 AM)endao2 Wrote:  It shows 60 hz instead of 144 Hz. I added 3 images with what i see. This is wrong, do i have some wrong settings or what is going on, can you help me understand this. I did not edit anything yet its the first time i opened the utility and it displays this info. The monitor is reporting 144 Hz though to be honest something seems off, playing at 60-100 Hz looks so bad it seems like 30 and bellow. Wondering if I didnt mess up something some time ago and the monitor got stuck with some wrong settings
I don't see a problem. Your screenshots show 144 Hz is in the extension block, and you even highlighted it. If you're using a refresh rate supported by the monitor, then any performance issue is usually on the GPU's end, not the monitor.

(04-12-2023 09:53 AM)endao2 Wrote:  Also can i delete those? Why are there so many entries, are they from old plug and play actions that were saved in registry or something?
https://imgur.com/wqtz7Be
Every connection to every port and even different drivers can cause a new entry to appear. You can remove all of them. Active entries are automatically recreated after rebooting or running restart.exe. Running reset-all.exe and rebooting will remove everything and reset the active entries. Running restart.exe can have the side effect of creating a second entry because of the basic display driver, but that isn't used.
Thanks for info, I now have a better understanding of the tool usage and i see all the monitor modes in the second screen indeed

If I may ask a different question. I have the GPU memory locked at max freq (2000Mhz in my case) and also dealing with some input lag (some gpu drivers way worse than others) and I am thinking to use another mode to see if GPU memory will go down

I found that some people fixed this using a different timing. Is there a risk running pixel clock at 346 vs the max reported(330 in my case)? I attached what it looks like if i chose that timing. Am I understanding correctly that the monitor is being instructed by the OS on how to operate by altering the registry? Or its a gpu driver change as well?

Also would this have an impact of how fast the image is being displayed right? Could this add / remove some perceived input lag? I'm troubleshooting Rocket League and its a very fast paced game

If this would fix the gpu memory issue with no impact in games it would be nice

04-14-2023, 03:01 PM
I just came to a major discovery

The image on my monitor was always terrible at high fps (200-240 for example), felt like micro horizontal tearing over the entire screen when moving the image sideways. Yesterday I created a custom resolution for 120 Hz and i chose CVT RB Standard. Set the refresh rate to 120Hz in Windows and tried the game at 240 fps. Now I finally have a smooth image similar to playing 144Hz and the game at 144 Fps. And it's so much more responsive, seems the input lag is gone

Clearly something is wrong with this monitor running at the default settings (120, 144 there is no difference, the image so so bad when running any game above 144, it becomes unplayable)

I do get some occasional tearing but limited to a rather thin line even with this solution so I wonder if I could try and alter a bit any of the settings so that 120Hz + 240 FPS becomes crystal clear? Any help appreciated
04-14-2023, 06:01 PM
(04-13-2023 07:17 AM)endao2 Wrote:  If I may ask a different question. I have the GPU memory locked at max freq (2000Mhz in my case) and also dealing with some input lag (some gpu drivers way worse than others) and I am thinking to use another mode to see if GPU memory will go down

I found that some people fixed this using a different timing. Is there a risk running pixel clock at 346 vs the max reported(330 in my case)? I attached what it looks like if i chose that timing. Am I understanding correctly that the monitor is being instructed by the OS on how to operate by altering the registry? Or its a gpu driver change as well?

Also would this have an impact of how fast the image is being displayed right? Could this add / remove some perceived input lag? I'm troubleshooting Rocket League and its a very fast paced game

If you're using DisplayPort, then 346 MHz is fine. Technically more blanking means it spends less time visibly refreshing and more time between refreshes, but the difference is miniscule and not worth worrying about. CRU creates EDID overrides in the registry, which is basically a description of what the monitor supports. It's not really altering anything in the registry since there's no override by default. The GPU driver will use the override if it exists. Otherwise it uses the monitor's EDID.

(04-14-2023 03:01 PM)endao2 Wrote:  I just came to a major discovery

The image on my monitor was always terrible at high fps (200-240 for example), felt like micro horizontal tearing over the entire screen when moving the image sideways. Yesterday I created a custom resolution for 120 Hz and i chose CVT RB Standard. Set the refresh rate to 120Hz in Windows and tried the game at 240 fps. Now I finally have a smooth image similar to playing 144Hz and the game at 144 Fps. And it's so much more responsive, seems the input lag is gone

Clearly something is wrong with this monitor running at the default settings (120, 144 there is no difference, the image so so bad when running any game above 144, it becomes unplayable)

I do get some occasional tearing but limited to a rather thin line even with this solution so I wonder if I could try and alter a bit any of the settings so that 120Hz + 240 FPS becomes crystal clear? Any help appreciated
What you're saying makes no sense because the monitor already uses CVT-RB for 120 Hz by default. Tearing will always happen outside the adaptive sync (FreeSync/G-SYNC) range. The only way to avoid tearing is to cap the frame rate within the adaptive sync range or use vsync, but that would add lag. Also when you use a lower refresh rate, higher refresh rates are no longer included in the adaptive sync range, so the effective range at 120 Hz would be 40-120 Hz. Maybe you should try with adaptive sync off because that would have the least lag at the cost of visible tearing.
04-15-2023, 01:25 AM
(04-13-2023 12:43 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-10-2023 10:04 AM)Auygurbalik Wrote:  Hello. I have 4k 240 hz monitor. In nvcp and windows setting i have only 120 and 240 hz settings but i want to use 165 hz.

So i tried to use CRU, add 4k@165hz through extension blocks+ displayid 1.3/2.0. I can add 165hz4k via CRU but no matter what i do i dont see those options at nvcp and windows display settings. I did use all the restarting software it came along.
When i reopen CRU i can see my custom refresh rate resolutions at the extension block.

What to do? Thanks for the help.

Also idk if its important, when i first open CRU it shows 2 default extension block.
The first post says NVIDIA does not support default extension blocks and will ignore all changes if a default extension block exists. I don't know if NVIDIA broke something recently because CRU is supposed to be able to read the extension blocks.

Thank you for response. Idk if i understand you correctly, but i also tried with all default extension blocks are deleted and instead added my custom refresh rate resolutions. There is no default extension block left in cru. But still cant see anything from windows or nvcp. My driver version 531.41.
04-15-2023, 06:44 AM (Last edited: 04-15-2023, 02:04 PM by endao2)
(04-14-2023 06:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  [quote='endao2' pid='14634' dateline='1681370277']
If I may ask a different question. I have the GPU memory locked at max freq (2000Mhz in my case) and also dealing with some input lag (some gpu drivers way worse than others) and I am thinking to use another mode to see if GPU memory will go down

(04-14-2023 06:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you're using DisplayPort, then 346 MHz is fine. Technically more blanking means it spends less time visibly refreshing and more time between refreshes, but the difference is miniscule and not worth worrying about. CRU creates EDID overrides in the registry, which is basically a description of what the monitor supports. It's not really altering anything in the registry since there's no override by default. The GPU driver will use the override if it exists. Otherwise it uses the monitor's EDID.
Thank you this is very informative and I can actually use this to maybe design some more tests.

And yes the default and custom resolution settings are identical at 120 Hz

Have no idea why the image looks better now

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-15-2023, 07:39 PM (Last edited: 04-15-2023, 07:40 PM by Vyre)
For anyone with LG C2 TV that want to set ultrawide 3840x1600 on their RX 7900XT - these are settings that worked for me in Adrenalin (CRU settings are still ignored on 23.4.1).
[Image: iNc4BA4.png]
04-16-2023, 08:50 PM
(04-15-2023 01:25 AM)Auygurbalik Wrote:  
(04-13-2023 12:43 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-10-2023 10:04 AM)Auygurbalik Wrote:  Hello. I have 4k 240 hz monitor. In nvcp and windows setting i have only 120 and 240 hz settings but i want to use 165 hz.

So i tried to use CRU, add 4k@165hz through extension blocks+ displayid 1.3/2.0. I can add 165hz4k via CRU but no matter what i do i dont see those options at nvcp and windows display settings. I did use all the restarting software it came along.
When i reopen CRU i can see my custom refresh rate resolutions at the extension block.

What to do? Thanks for the help.

Also idk if its important, when i first open CRU it shows 2 default extension block.
The first post says NVIDIA does not support default extension blocks and will ignore all changes if a default extension block exists. I don't know if NVIDIA broke something recently because CRU is supposed to be able to read the extension blocks.

Thank you for response. Idk if i understand you correctly, but i also tried with all default extension blocks are deleted and instead added my custom refresh rate resolutions. There is no default extension block left in cru. But still cant see anything from windows or nvcp. My driver version 531.41.

I keep trying to do that and eventually succeeded. Dont exactly know what fixed it (whether deleting all other default extensions al resetting repeatedly). Now i did manage to add 144hz i still have no luck with 165 hz. strange. Still success. Thank you for your help and awesome program!
04-19-2023, 12:56 PM
i have an alienware 360 hertz monitor and i cannot get active res same as detailed res any idea??
04-20-2023, 09:33 AM (Last edited: 04-20-2023, 12:54 PM by devaser)
Hi everyone.

I have a monitor Benq ex2870q which i wanted to remove tv resolutions to use DSR.
Cause DSR vas using 4k 60hz instead of 1440p 144hz:

[Image: image.png]

It use to work fine, but i have updated my CPU, 5800x3D and now i get a black screen when i do that.
I tried to remove just individualy the 4k resolutions, tried to delete them all... i always get a black screen. Seems like it is messing with my default resolution or something.

I tried to reinstall Nvidia drivers, same result.

Do you know what is happening? Or where can i see some clues?

When i restart in safe mode y see 3 monitors, is that supossed to happen? What is going on.

[Image: image.png]

Update, i just reinstalled windows 10 from the begining and same result. I just installed armoured crate, drivers and nvidia drivers 531.68 noting else.

Update 2. I managed to make it work but i don't know how because i was trying so much stuff.

- I went back to driver 531.61
- On bios i forced Gen4 on PCIe
- I change Display Port 1, to 2, i mean the wire. Then i saw 2 monitors on CRU, so i removed tv resolutions and copy paste the configuration to both monitors CRU showed.
- It worked, then i switched to DP1 and it worked too.
- Then i updated to 531.68 and still works.

So i don't know what is the problem. Maybe my GPU is doing something weird with Display Ports? it is a new GPU 4070.

Thank you!