Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-24-2023, 04:14 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-22-2023 02:49 PM)devaser Wrote:  Thank you Toasty for your work and your time to deal with us, very much.

When i reboot with 2 monitor installed, it is obviously a driver crash cause it even turn off the keyboard. The PC completely freeze.

If i unplug the 60hz monitor from hdmi port it will boot no problem.

Do you think we could find a fix? Should i try older drivers?

I bought a dp-dvi wire to try to connect the 60hz monitor to dp instead of hdmi.
I don't know what triggers the bug because not everyone runs into the problem. It's not anything in the EDID itself because just the presence of an EDID override with no changes will still trigger the problem. Sometimes a different connection can work around the problem. This has been an issue since around 471.11 or 471.41, but I don't know if people have been reporting the problem to NVIDIA. You would have to try 466.77, which probably won't support the 4070, and Windows has a habit of automatically upgrading older drivers.

The only thing that caught my attention is you mentioned Armoury Crate. Try uninstalling that and see if that makes any difference. I still think this is an NVIDIA driver bug because only NVIDIA users have reported this issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2023, 04:14 AM
(04-22-2023 04:01 PM)efghjsdkc Wrote:  Hi,

I have multiple displays and when I turn one or more of them off, Windows will notice this and will change the monitor settings to exclude this monitor from the layout. This causes all windows to be moved and having to put them back when I turn the screen back on is very annoying.

So what I want is that Windows doesn't notice when one of the monitors turns off. I did some googling and it seems that maybe if the monitors' EDIDs are fixed, Windows won't notice when they're off. So in CRU I exported the monitor settings and then imported them again in order to make them fixed. Unfortunately, Windows still notices as soon as a monitor gets disconnected.

The monitors are connected through DisplayPort, but I've seen similar issues when they were connected through HDMI. GPU is an Nvidia 4080.

Maybe what I'm trying isn't possible or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
CRU does not emulate a monitor connection, so that won't work. The problem is DisplayPort disconnects when the monitor is turned off, and if Windows didn't move the windows from the disconnected monitor, there would be no way to access the windows. Windows has no way of knowing the monitor is still connected and doesn't offer a way to leave windows on disconnected monitors. The real solution would be to allow sleeping individual monitors, which would keep them connected but with the screen turned off, but Windows only seems to offer power saving for all monitors at once.
04-27-2023, 10:22 PM (Last edited: 04-27-2023, 10:54 PM by Thumedan)
Hey, i am using streamlabs preview on second fake screen which is emulated by hdmi dummy. This is necessary for me to run some kind of scripts that i use. I dont need to see this preview but my ahk need this in that position.
My main monitor - real one is working On 2k@144hz and basicly this dummy can work up to 4k@60hz. Its not good at this 60hz since i feel freezes while playing On 60 or even 120hz. It goes back to smooth and nice when i set custom resolution in nVidia geforce to 2k@144hz for this dummy but after restart.exe or just reboot my computer is not responding at all. It can boot Windows but there is no login screen. Caps lock not reacting. Then i have to unplug dummy, restart pc, reset all, plug dummy then set my custom resolution again. And it works like it should. Untill some kind of restart/ reboot. Any clue how to solve it to not brother with this pain in the ass job with plugout, reset all plug in and set again every reboot?

"This is an NVIDIA driver bug and should be reported to them. The black screen is the driver crashing, not a resolution issue as you've figured out."
it's same problem in my case?Big Grin
04-28-2023, 06:52 PM
(04-24-2023 04:14 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-22-2023 04:01 PM)efghjsdkc Wrote:  ...
CRU does not emulate a monitor connection, so that won't work. The problem is DisplayPort disconnects when the monitor is turned off, and if Windows didn't move the windows from the disconnected monitor, there would be no way to access the windows. Windows has no way of knowing the monitor is still connected and doesn't offer a way to leave windows on disconnected monitors. The real solution would be to allow sleeping individual monitors, which would keep them connected but with the screen turned off, but Windows only seems to offer power saving for all monitors at once.

I can actually sleep one monitor by switching it to a disconnected input. However, when it wakes up again, it disconnects and reconnects, which still moves all windows around. This is also an issue I have when waking up all monitor in Windows 10, monitors reconnect, but windows are moved. In Win11 I can also hear the monitors reconnecting, but the windows stay in the same place. Apparently Microsoft made a fix for that. Still annoying I can't turn a monitor off without the windows moving though.
04-29-2023, 05:21 AM
(04-27-2023 10:22 PM)Thumedan Wrote:  Hey, i am using streamlabs preview on second fake screen which is emulated by hdmi dummy. This is necessary for me to run some kind of scripts that i use. I dont need to see this preview but my ahk need this in that position.
My main monitor - real one is working On 2k@144hz and basicly this dummy can work up to 4k@60hz. Its not good at this 60hz since i feel freezes while playing On 60 or even 120hz. It goes back to smooth and nice when i set custom resolution in nVidia geforce to 2k@144hz for this dummy but after restart.exe or just reboot my computer is not responding at all. It can boot Windows but there is no login screen. Caps lock not reacting. Then i have to unplug dummy, restart pc, reset all, plug dummy then set my custom resolution again. And it works like it should. Untill some kind of restart/ reboot. Any clue how to solve it to not brother with this pain in the ass job with plugout, reset all plug in and set again every reboot?

"This is an NVIDIA driver bug and should be reported to them. The black screen is the driver crashing, not a resolution issue as you've figured out."
it's same problem in my case?Big Grin
Yes, CRU doesn't do anything except create a description of what the monitor supports, so if the driver crashes, that's a driver bug. Just make sure there's at least 2 bytes for data blocks in the CTA-861 extension block because that's another NVIDIA driver bug that can cause a crash. Also for HDMI 2.0, the pixel clock can't exceed 600 MHz.
04-29-2023, 03:36 PM
As of 04/29/23 latest driver 23.4.3 AMD 7900XT still doesn't allow custom EDID set with CRU. What a shame.
05-02-2023, 09:21 AM
(04-29-2023 03:36 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  As of 04/29/23 latest driver 23.4.3 AMD 7900XT still doesn't allow custom EDID set with CRU. What a shame.

Hi, a few questions about this issue:
- Is it only RDNA3 cards that are affected?
- I use CRU to change my monitor's FreeSync range. Would this be ignored with the latest drivers?
- What's the most recent driver that works fine with CRU?

Thanks.
05-02-2023, 11:55 AM (Last edited: 05-02-2023, 11:57 AM by alexaedita)
(05-02-2023 09:21 AM)DragonQ Wrote:  
(04-29-2023 03:36 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  As of 04/29/23 latest driver 23.4.3 AMD 7900XT still doesn't allow custom EDID set with CRU. What a shame.

Hi, a few questions about this issue:
- Is it only RDNA3 cards that are affected?
- I use CRU to change my monitor's FreeSync range. Would this be ignored with the latest drivers?
- What's the most recent driver that works fine with CRU?

Thanks.

CRU on my 6700XT worked fine several month ago before I sold it.
I would not remember at this point what was the driver I was using at that time. When I switched to RDNA 3, I was "forced" to use drivers specifically designed for RDNA 3 cards. Now RDNA 2 and 3 use same driver system, so I would think CRU does not work with RDNA 2 at this time.
This is not GPU related issue, I would think, it's a driver issue - at least people with more experience than me have said it on this forum.
AMD needs to unlock custom EDID's on their end.
05-06-2023, 01:32 PM
Hello dear ToastyX,
The current max Hres and Vres are both 4095. I checked the src files and found them defined in "DetailedResolutionClass.cpp". I don't know how to compile your source codes. Would you please consider supporting higher resolution values in the next release? For example, max 10240 x 10240 would be great!!!
05-06-2023, 06:56 PM (Last edited: 05-06-2023, 07:14 PM by Travis5151)
Hello,

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to use this to resolve flickering/stroking with freesyns (nvidia gsync enabled) and my Sansung 800b tv (connect hdmi 2.1 through Yamaha a2a receiver) and was hoping I could get some help.

In windows I have 4k 120 selected and it works great without gync enabled. Once I enable it in some games I get the brightness flicker. I have loaded cru and added the below as picture
Am I doing it right? How do I apply it? I did reset 64 but in game I don't see a difference and I am unsure how to verify it. I added the resolutions in the cta 861 block as the detailed resolution area won't let me chooseb120 hz. It goes red.