Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-28-2023, 10:00 AM (Last edited: 03-28-2023, 09:55 PM by Just_Chert)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-28-2023 09:55 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 08:56 AM)Just_Chert Wrote:  I have an RX 470 GPU and the latest amd driver at the time of writing this post, also the monitor and GPU are connected via HDMI 1.4, hence I need to add an extension unit for hdmi manually which would increase the frequency limit from 165mhz I understand correctly?
No, it already has an HDMI data block. "AMD/ATI's driver also listens to the maximum TMDS clock in the "HDMI support" data block. Make sure it's enabled and set to 340 MHz."

Thank you very much, I have increased the TMDS clock to 340 mhz and now I can raise the hertz frequency above 75 hertz on my monitor

P.S My monitor can hold frequency 80 hertz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2023, 01:56 PM
(03-28-2023 09:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 09:02 AM)sebastian.f Wrote:  i have upload the file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rswxx0p...sp=sharing

I have also test Rgb and 4:4:4 before i set 4:2:0
Thanks for your help.
That's not the full EDID. The extension blocks are missing. Does CRU not show the extension blocks?

no the field is empty :-(
03-28-2023, 05:19 PM
(03-20-2023 04:21 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-17-2023 10:19 PM)izy Wrote:  Thanks for the reply , that is what i thought too but i had to be sure, i see no reason for DL on the monitor but in the manual says its DL (in the specs only says DVI-D) and I was wondering if indeed its DL if i could get an higher OC because of the higher bandwidth.
I was not sure about the tearing as i am not having tearing at 60hz but i am having it at 75hz and more noticeable if i cap the fps at 75fps, using like 72hz , 73hz without altering CRU timings has less tearing and thats why i was confused.

Edit: pic with the back of the board , seems that it has the pins for DVI-D DL soldered if i am not wrong:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1OoAAOSwE...-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p5MAAOSwb...-l1600.jpg
You shouldn't cap the frame rate to the refresh rate. That's the worst thing you can do for tearing because you'll get a jiggling line. Tearing looks bad when the frame rate is close to the refresh rate. You want the frame rate to be as high as possible away from the refresh rate. If that's not achievable, then at least cap it to something a few frames below the refresh rate. Capping the frame rate to 70 FPS at 75 Hz will look better because the tearing won't be in one spot. The only way to avoid tearing completely is to use vsync, but that will add lag.

Most 60 Hz monitors are hard-coded to reject anything beyond 75-85 Hz. Using a dual-link DVI cable won't change what refresh rates the monitor will accept. The monitor and GPU have no way of knowing if you're using a single-link or dual-link cable. The GPU always sends a single-link signal up to 165 MHz pixel clock and a dual-link signal beyond 165 MHz no matter what cable is being used. The patcher raises that to 230 MHz. If the monitor actually supports dual-link DVI, then you won't need the patcher beyond 165 MHz. If the monitor only supports single-link DVI and the GPU sends a dual-link signal, the monitor will ignore the other link and the resolution will have a blocky look with half the pixels missing unless you use the patcher to send a single-link signal. That 165 MHz switchover is exact by the way, so anything beyond that is a monitor limitation.

Thanks for explanation.
03-29-2023, 03:30 PM (Last edited: 03-29-2023, 03:32 PM by PLU)
(03-26-2023 09:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's all you need to do to add the resolution. Make sure to delete the old resolution in the other extension block so that doesn't take effect.
Ok so that was the issue and now it's applying, however if I edit the vertical blanking until it downclocks or use CVT-RB(2) it can go down to 200 Hz but the monitor starts to perform really poorly. There's a noticeable input delay and the refresh rate definitely isn't 165 Hz even if it's reported as such. I can't say for sure but it feels and looks like it's just 60 Hz. Even the UFO test says it's 165 Hz but maybe it's just reading what Windows is reporting.
I tried copypasting my default 165 Hz timings (that trigger max VRAM clock) to make sure what I'm editing actually works and yes, it does perform as it should.

This is how CRU looks by default, I copy the top resolution timings, delete the extension block and add a new DisplayID 2.0 one with the pasted timings and then edit them. If I apply that and restard I only have two selectable refresh rates in Windows: 60 Hz (I'm assuming this is the detailed resolution in the main window of CRU at the top) and the 165 Hz one I created.
03-30-2023, 04:55 AM (Last edited: 03-30-2023, 08:02 AM by Mussels)
This one might be a simple answer of "monitor can't do it" but i've been working on why my displays can't OC higher, and discovered a few things

* Gsync off can reach 70Hz
* Gsync on can do 65Hz, but only with a 64 FPS cap or i get horizontal black lines across the exact center of the display
* Some combinations allow 10 bit colour while others don't - is there any way to know what the limit is there? Does it just need X bandwidth spare?
* It's not a pixel clock bandwidth limit, as i can raise various settings upto 600MHz without problem - as low as 550 has issues at 66Hz for example
*Both displays are 32" 4K 60Hz VA panels, one Kogan one LG. Both seem to use the same panel as they behave exactly the same in all things, other than different stock profile settings. (Like Gsync H-Rate being 135-135 on LG but 160-160 on Kogan)

So to the actual questions:

1. Is there any recommended settings to adjust like the horizontal rate in the Gsync/Vsync settings? - i've seen no guides mention this, other than one standalone post from ToastyX to state keeping it at a static value

2. Is that tearing me putting the wrong porch/sync width settings in, or is that just the limit of the display? I've tried the different preset profiles and some random adjustments, but no luck improving that.

Tearing example:
https://imgur.com/a/A3oD2Px (it moves up and down depending on screen content/brightness)

Edit: Okay this ones dumb yet weird. It was Fast vsync being enabled, despite the game being DX12 causing the flicker. I reset all monitor settings to default and the problem still existed, leading to finding out that fast vsync was the issue somehow. Go figure?
03-30-2023, 02:04 PM
Hello all. I wanted to create an account to post a comment on here. I have a freesync IPS panel monitor + AMD gpu and have been experiencing flickering for days now and I am absolutely at my whit's end about it. I have downloaded this CRU software and tinkered with tons of settings, tried upping the lower end of the freesync range, lowering the lower end of the freesync range, and lowering the upper end of the freesync range etc, but honestly I don't know what the hell I am doing. I came to post this comment to ask for your help, Toasty. You are quite obviously an expert in this field. If you are willing to work with me personally over email or something like that to help get my flickering under control, I would be willing to paypal you $20 right now and then an additional $20 (or more if you want) if you were able to eliminate the flickering. I am just so absolutely at my whit's end at this point and not able to spend one more second on this issue. If you are not willing to do this then I will accept the flickering and will simply not use freesync ever again. Thank you so much for your help and consideration
04-01-2023, 01:55 PM (Last edited: 04-01-2023, 02:27 PM by amac)
I have a damaged lcd such that the first 30 visible columns of the display are damaged and only show compressed squiggly vertical lines. Essentially those columns are no longer usable. This is a 16x9 1080P touchscreen HP laptop. Damage was incurred due to poor manufacturing that secures metal hinges and metal display case via ultra thin layer of plastic that snaps on the most gentle opening of display (but that's a different story). I rebuilt the laptop but the damage occurred when the hinge tore across the screen from the inside.

Using CRU I've reduced the horizontal width of the display by 60 pixels to 1860 (essentially subtracting 30 pixels from the left and the right). This eliminates the bad columns from view and so the screen looks fine. You would have to stare closely to realize it isn't the original full resolution.

I've searched this forum for others with a similar issue but to no avail (perhaps because I can't think of a keyword that isolates the issue sufficiently).

I have 2 questions.

1. It it possible to only eliminate the bad columns on the left side (I haven't played with horizontal left/right porch yet). I'm not sufficiently familiar with the terminology of many of the values that can be changed

2. Most problematic is that I play some older games on this laptop. Some of them do not like the custom resolution and misbehave or seem to ignore it and so I see some of the damaged pixels again.

Any recommendations to avoid these issues?
04-03-2023, 02:16 AM
(03-28-2023 01:56 PM)sebastian.f Wrote:  
(03-28-2023 09:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's not the full EDID. The extension blocks are missing. Does CRU not show the extension blocks?

no the field is empty :-(
So then what did you try? For HDMI 2.0, you need to make sure the HDMI and HDMI 2.x data blocks exist in a CTA-861 extension block, and for HDMI 2.1, you need to make sure the FRL rate is set in the HDMI 2.x data block. Without the FRL rate, you'll be limited to 600 MHz pixel clock.
(03-29-2023 03:30 PM)PLU Wrote:  Ok so that was the issue and now it's applying, however if I edit the vertical blanking until it downclocks or use CVT-RB(2) it can go down to 200 Hz but the monitor starts to perform really poorly. There's a noticeable input delay and the refresh rate definitely isn't 165 Hz even if it's reported as such. I can't say for sure but it feels and looks like it's just 60 Hz. Even the UFO test says it's 165 Hz but maybe it's just reading what Windows is reporting.
I tried copypasting my default 165 Hz timings (that trigger max VRAM clock) to make sure what I'm editing actually works and yes, it does perform as it should.

This is how CRU looks by default, I copy the top resolution timings, delete the extension block and add a new DisplayID 2.0 one with the pasted timings and then edit them. If I apply that and restard I only have two selectable refresh rates in Windows: 60 Hz (I'm assuming this is the detailed resolution in the main window of CRU at the top) and the 165 Hz one I created.
Don't delete the extension block. Just delete the detailed resolution in the extension block. This sounds like a monitor limitation anyway. The UFO test is supposed to be used with a camera. It's probably skipping frames and only displaying 60 FPS, resulting in stutter. If it won't display 165 Hz correctly with higher vertical blanking, then there's probably no way to make this work.
(03-30-2023 04:55 AM)Mussels Wrote:  * Some combinations allow 10 bit colour while others don't - is there any way to know what the limit is there? Does it just need X bandwidth spare?
That would depend on the bandwidth available. Pixel clock limit would be <pixel clock limit> * 8 / <bpc>, so like DisplayPort HBR2 would be 720 MHz * 8 / 10 bpc = 576 MHz, and HDMI 2.0 would be 600 MHz * 8 / 10 = 480 MHz. You might need to go a few MHz lower with NVIDIA for some reason. If that doesn't work, then it's purely a driver or GPU limitation.

(03-30-2023 04:55 AM)Mussels Wrote:  1. Is there any recommended settings to adjust like the horizontal rate in the Gsync/Vsync settings? - i've seen no guides mention this, other than one standalone post from ToastyX to state keeping it at a static value
Horizontal rate in the range limits doesn't matter and isn't used for anything as far as I know. Variable refresh rate uses the maximum refresh rate's timing parameters as the base.

(03-30-2023 04:55 AM)Mussels Wrote:  2. Is that tearing me putting the wrong porch/sync width settings in, or is that just the limit of the display? I've tried the different preset profiles and some random adjustments, but no luck improving that.

Tearing example:
https://imgur.com/a/A3oD2Px (it moves up and down depending on screen content/brightness)

Edit: Okay this ones dumb yet weird. It was Fast vsync being enabled, despite the game being DX12 causing the flicker. I reset all monitor settings to default and the problem still existed, leading to finding out that fast vsync was the issue somehow. Go figure?
That's weird. I would have thought that was a monitor limitation. That sounds like a driver bug.