Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-18-2020, 09:36 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-18-2020 08:48 PM)1440p Wrote:  I tried moving the 1440p 120hz resolution up to be the first and deleting 4k 60 hz from detailed resolution. Windows and nvidia control panel recognize 1440p 120hz as native but DSR still gives me 1.5 x 4k at 60hz.
In the extension block, edit the TV resolutions data block and make sure no resolutions are bolded. If any are, edit them and disable the "Native format" option.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2020, 09:51 PM (Last edited: 05-18-2020, 10:00 PM by funny username)
Alright, I registered to ask for help.

CRU was working about a few weeks ago? I'm not sure exactly when. I'm sure CRU was working at a certain point until I reset my laptop today (because I did something wrong in the program apparently. Entered a refresh rate way up there to experiment, but didn't actually change it to that because I didn't get the chance because the entire screen was black when I restarted my laptop.) Now, the new refresh rates I typed in the program don't appear in the display adapter page, where I usually change them. I'm using an integrated intel laptop if that helps and my drivers are up to date.

Nevermind. It just started working lol!
05-19-2020, 03:06 AM
(05-18-2020 09:36 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 08:48 PM)1440p Wrote:  I tried moving the 1440p 120hz resolution up to be the first and deleting 4k 60 hz from detailed resolution. Windows and nvidia control panel recognize 1440p 120hz as native but DSR still gives me 1.5 x 4k at 60hz.
In the extension block, edit the TV resolutions data block and make sure no resolutions are bolded. If any are, edit them and disable the "Native format" option.

non of the TV resolution seem to be bolded some are black font while others are faded. I suppose the dark ones are the bolded? Anyway even the dark ones don’t have native format checked. None of these have native format checked. I can’t even interact with the native format box it’s also faded
05-19-2020, 01:53 PM
(05-19-2020 03:06 AM)1440p Wrote:  non of the TV resolution seem to be bolded some are black font while others are faded. I suppose the dark ones are the bolded? Anyway even the dark ones don’t have native format checked. None of these have native format checked. I can’t even interact with the native format box it’s also faded
If you don't want 4K, make sure to delete the 4K resolutions from the TV resolutions data block and the HDMI data block.
05-19-2020, 09:15 PM
Hello, and thank you for the amazing aplication.

I Bought a new monitor for work, a 4k monitor, but on my work computer (where I intend to use most of the time) I can only achieve 4k@30hz. its tiring to the eye, so I usually use 1440p@60hz (but since it is not the panels native res its kinda blurry)
My notebook product name (got with WMIC CSPRODUCT GET NAME) is 20LES4P728, or a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen. I understood that its embedded HDMI port is only capable of 4k@30hz (probably 1.4) - and only after I had already bought the monitor, but then I bought a Dell DA300 that is a usb-c dongle that is capable of 4k@60Hz. I Tested it with my macbook pro, and it did display the resolution and refresh rate as expected using the dongle. But on my work Pc it doesnt. the notebook product manual says that if outputting from the usb-c/thunderbolt 3 ports, it should be able to output 4k@60hz, but it doesnt. and when I tried using CRU, after the restart/restart64.exe it still outputs at 4k@30hz.

I thought about maybe buying a dock, but since every piece of equipment I have is supposed to be compatible with 4k@60hz I am kinda afraid to buy something that might not work. Any ideas? it uses an Intel Graphics 620.
05-20-2020, 12:01 PM
(05-19-2020 09:15 PM)Cappuccino1985 Wrote:  I thought about maybe buying a dock, but since every piece of equipment I have is supposed to be compatible with 4k@60hz I am kinda afraid to buy something that might not work. Any ideas? it uses an Intel Graphics 620.
I don't know what adapter you would need to achieve 4K @ 60 Hz or if it's even possible with your laptop. That might be something to ask Lenovo. You shouldn't have to use CRU if the hardware supports 4K @ 60 Hz.
05-20-2020, 02:30 PM (Last edited: 05-20-2020, 02:32 PM by Cappuccino1985)
(05-20-2020 12:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-19-2020 09:15 PM)Cappuccino1985 Wrote:  I thought about maybe buying a dock, but since every piece of equipment I have is supposed to be compatible with 4k@60hz I am kinda afraid to buy something that might not work. Any ideas? it uses an Intel Graphics 620.
I don't know what adapter you would need to achieve 4K @ 60 Hz or if it's even possible with your laptop. That might be something to ask Lenovo. You shouldn't have to use CRU if the hardware supports 4K @ 60 Hz.

I Agree with you (that I shouldnt have to use CRU for something that should work out of the box), but since it is a work machine, I am not too keen on spending (more) money to experiment which dock/dongle/hub is the best alternative (probably one from lenovo). But as home office is a reality for god knows how long, I am trying to have the best "work experience" possible. In hindsight I should probably have bought a 1440p monitor.

I have contacted lenovo, and they say that I have to talk to my company because some things like driver versions are updated by the company rather than manually by the user or automatically by the vendor. I tried updating manually but it didnt work. anyway , the last driver version I have is from January 2020, so, not old enough that it should be an issue.
As for if it is possible, the laptop user manual says it should be. (but only using the usb-c/thunderbolt port. not the embedded hdmi)

by testing the upper limits I could get (using a displayport cable on my dell usb-c dongle) 54hz. Since every other piece of equipment of mine works as intended (4k@60Hz in my personal computer using the same monitor and dongle) I think I will be satisfied by that. It still itches the back of my head, but at least its not bothering my eyes (I think europeans had 50hz on their screens back in the day, so its probably fine to work).

once again thanks for providing this amazing application, and for answering on such short notice.
05-20-2020, 08:47 PM
I have a brand new dell gaming g7 7790 with a 144hz display. I want to know if there is a way to use the CRU on new 9th gen intel chips, because there isn't an edid patched driver. I dont know if you still even have to use those, its been a while since i last used this utility. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already tried using custom display options and setting custom refresh rates. I dont think it is pixel clock related, because the default resolution already runs at 342 Mhz. This laptop is running optimus, so i dont know if that changes the way that the refresh rates have to be created.
05-20-2020, 09:18 PM
(05-20-2020 08:47 PM)macity_mac_shack Wrote:  I have a brand new dell gaming g7 7790 with a 144hz display. I want to know if there is a way to use the CRU on new 9th gen intel chips, because there isn't an edid patched driver. I dont know if you still even have to use those, its been a while since i last used this utility. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already tried using custom display options and setting custom refresh rates. I dont think it is pixel clock related, because the default resolution already runs at 342 Mhz. This laptop is running optimus, so i dont know if that changes the way that the refresh rates have to be created.
It should work with the latest driver, so if it doesn't, there might be some other limitation in place. You can also try the alternative method.
05-21-2020, 11:49 AM
I have a Dell P992 and a Gtx 1070. I can set "standard" resolutions just fine, but my desired res of 1512x1134@90hz won't work unless I set it through the nvidia panel. I have reset the driver, restarted my pc, and ddu'd my drivers to reinstall them.

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: unknown.png]