Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-27-2020, 01:10 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-27-2020 01:57 AM)Azazel Wrote:  it is claimed by other people who own it that it can do 144hz no probs at it's native resolution. When I select it, it does set it without issues, but when I run the ufo test there are skipped frames. So something tells me it could be down to a timing issue? Any suggestions to tweak it would be helpful?
No, timing parameters have nothing to do with skipped frames.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2020, 02:49 PM (Last edited: 06-27-2020, 02:53 PM by cyrb)
Just an update - solved my issue (regarding CRU's changes not taking effect). It was an Intel Driver issue. Sorry for the confusion.

The laptop has both a NVIDIA GeForce 840M as well as "Intel HD Graphics", integrated graphics. The manufacturer's Intel driver is old and hasn't been updated since 2016. And it refused to allow me to install the latest generic Intel drivers (it complains that the new driver hasn't been approved by the vendor).

With the original driver, deleting "Default extension block" does nothing. However I was able to force-install the latest Intel driver through "Device Manager". This seems to solve the issue for me. CRU's changes are working with it. It seems CRU fails to work on the old drivers, but works fine on the latest ones from Intel.

It's a bit puzzling because GeForce 840M is supposed to be my primary "graphics processor". I guess for some reason, Intel is the 'master' driver and controls the initial resolution switching before invoking the secondary driver.

I did encounter a strange issue though. When adding the custom resolution 1278x720 (without using it), and restarting via restart.exe, it sometimes didn't come back after going black. I had to hard-reset. Other resolutions seem fine such as 960x540. Although restart.exe switches to black more than once when executed, whereas the Intel-supplied software that adds custom resolutions only switches to black once.

Also, CRU doesn't seem to see the custom resolutions added by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, but upon saving in CRU, it erases the custom resolutions set by that software.

Cheers - great software
06-27-2020, 05:50 PM
(06-27-2020 02:49 PM)cyrb Wrote:  Also, CRU doesn't seem to see the custom resolutions added by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, but upon saving in CRU, it erases the custom resolutions set by that software.
CRU is separate from Intel custom resolutions. When you make a change with CRU, Intel treats it as a different monitor.
06-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Hi toasty,
Before I begin to address my problem, i would like to show my gratitude towards your hard work into this software and your continuous support.
I've been using your software since 2017 and recently I switched over to a newer laptop with switchable graphics(nvidia mx150) with intel uhd 620.
I can get an oc of only 65hz whereas in my old laptop(only intel hd 4400), I could go upto 78hz. Is it because of a different panel that's in my new laptop? Or is it because of some driver limitations, if so, can I bypass it?
I'm really not very knowledgeable about this topic so I'm sorry if I had missed something!
06-27-2020, 10:53 PM
(06-27-2020 08:09 PM)peterson Wrote:  Hi toasty,
Before I begin to address my problem, i would like to show my gratitude towards your hard work into this software and your continuous support.
I've been using your software since 2017 and recently I switched over to a newer laptop with switchable graphics(nvidia mx150) with intel uhd 620.
I can get an oc of only 65hz whereas in my old laptop(only intel hd 4400), I could go upto 78hz. Is it because of a different panel that's in my new laptop? Or is it because of some driver limitations, if so, can I bypass it?
I'm really not very knowledgeable about this topic so I'm sorry if I had missed something!
Sounds like a panel limitation.
06-28-2020, 06:01 PM
(06-27-2020 10:53 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-27-2020 08:09 PM)peterson Wrote:  Hi toasty,
Sounds like a panel limitation.
oh, so there isn't any way around it?
06-28-2020, 09:04 PM
(06-28-2020 06:01 PM)peterson Wrote:  oh, so there isn't any way around it?
What happens beyond 65 Hz?
06-29-2020, 08:50 PM
(06-28-2020 09:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-28-2020 06:01 PM)peterson Wrote:  oh, so there isn't any way around it?
What happens beyond 65 Hz?
some weird artifacts start popping up like lines and stuff(at 66hz)
so i thought maybe it must be a pixel clock issue.
06-30-2020, 01:23 PM
(06-29-2020 08:50 PM)peterson Wrote:  some weird artifacts start popping up like lines and stuff(at 66hz)
so i thought maybe it must be a pixel clock issue.
Then it's a panel limitation, not a pixel clock issue.
06-30-2020, 06:48 PM
I have a problem i'm on Windows 10 2004 with newest Nvidia Drivers 451.48,
Once i try to add a standard resolution for my monitor 1080p/60hz and do restart64.exe, after driver restart i can't access Nvidia Control Panel at all, or in rare occasion im able to access i can only see "developer" option everything else is gone like "3D Settings", "Display" and "Video"

So adding standard Resolution beats the purpose if i can't access my control panel to enable Surround or do anything else.
Is this a known bug or is there a workaround for this? The driver is Nvidia Studio Driver!